The Middle-earth Weekend

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
      For those in the UK....

      John

      Ten Years of Fun At Mill!

      The Middle-earth Weekend

      Sarehole Mill

      16th and 17th May 2009

      Sarehole Mill and Recreation Ground, Cole Bank Road, Hall Green, Birmingham

      This year’s Middle-earth Weekend is the tenth such weekend at Sarehole Mill. Since the first “Fun At Mill!” Weekend in 2000 these events have focused on Tolkien’s local connections, the local environment and the history of the area around Sarehole Mill, Moseley Bog, and the River Cole Valley – now known as the Shire Country Park. This year’s theme is “Exploring Middle-earth”.

      The last few years have seen around 10,000 visitors attracted to this historic working mill and the fair on the green behind it; so that all sorts of people, not just Tolkien fans, rub shoulders enjoying the stalls and displays from local and national groups, a range of sideshows, various dramatic presentations, poetry, and the farmers’ market stalls.

      The weekend is a celebration of Professor Tolkien’s local connection but this year should be extra special as this is the 10th event! And celebrations generally involve a great deal of fun

      – this weekend certainly will!

      The Tolkien Society will have a display in the Mill itself, ADC books will have copies of the new book of Hilary Tolkien’s memories of the area “Black & White Ogre Country” and tying in with the release of Tolkien’s version of “The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrún” there will be Vikings around too!

      If you feel brave maybe you can ask who is which.

      There will also be a falconry display, and displays, a food historian, demonstrations, readings, and fine things to buy from:

      Moseley Farmer’s Market,

      Hall Green Poets,

      RSPB,

      Bat Society,

      Birmingham Weavers Society,

      Mosley Bog and Burbury Brickworks’ History Society,

      Perrot’s Folly Trust,

      Highfield Hall Play Workers,

      Hall Green Residents Association,

      West Midland Buses.

      www.birmingham.gov.uk      www.tolkiensociety.org

      Any queries regarding this Press Release should be addressed to:

      Ian Collier, Publicity Officer, e-mail publicity AT tolkiensociety.org

      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2009

        Anyone fancy meeting up for a pint?

        Message 3 of 7 , May 6, 2009
          At 04:38 PM Tuesday 5/5/2009, Jack wrote:

          >Anyone fancy meeting up for a pint?

          Bit far for some . . .

          . . . ronn! :)
          Message 4 of 7 , May 6, 2009
            I'll get out my rowboat. How long you figure to row across the Atlantic
            Ocean from Canada?

            Message 5 of 7 , May 6, 2009
              But not very far for me - it's only a hundred miles up the motorway, if
              that!
              So I plan to go up on the Saturday...

              At 04:38 PM Tuesday 5/5/2009, Jack wrote:

              >Anyone fancy meeting up for a pint?

              Bit far for some . . .

              . . . ronn! :)

            • Morjuc
              Message 6 of 7 , May 10, 2009
                --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, Ronn! Blankenship <ronn_blankenship@...> wrote:

                > At 04:38 PM Tuesday 5/5/2009, Jack wrote:
                >
                > >Anyone fancy meeting up for a pint?
                >

                > Bit far for some . . .
                >

                > . . . ronn! :)

                Unless one travels by nazgul...

                AT
                Message 7 of 7 , May 11, 2009
                  I was thinking of driving up the M5, but whatever suits you