RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Orcs and Goblins

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009

      In the Hobbit, Tolkien talks about goblins, and everywhere else he talks about orcs

      He is just using the word goblin in his children’s story to signify the same sort of nasty being

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
          Yet Tolkien speaks of the Great Goblin, king of the lesser breeds

          It isn't size

          > Are Orcs and Goblins the same thing and if not, what is the difference?
          >

          > Ren
          >

          > Dogs have owners. Cats have staff

          Orcs and Goblins are like ARod vs Eddie Cleaver. Orcs from Mordor are
          like Orcs from Moria on steroids. Sauron has the biggest and baddest
          assaulting Minas Tirith (Orcs from Moria) while the minor leagues
          (Orcs from Moria) are guarding the outskirts of the battle. Ignoring
          the Balrog, of course. (Did he really have wings?) Hah!

          Goblins are little dudes, Orcs are the big and nasty dudes.

          Same species. Kind of like comparing the football team to the chess
          club. Still human, with a much smaller tolerance to Jack Daniels. Or
          Bud Light.

          >Dave L

        • Peter Chapman
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
            In English, Hobgoblins usually used to mean the bigger types. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobgoblin

            Hobbits appear to at first use the term goblin & then pick up orc from other folk.
            "he (Ferny's ethnically challenged mate) looks more than half like a goblin"

            L-o-H
            Yet Tolkien speaks of the Great Goblin, king of the lesser breeds

            It isn't size

            > Are Orcs and Goblins the same thing and if not, what is the difference?
            >

            > Ren
            >

            > Dogs have owners. Cats have staff

            Orcs and Goblins are like ARod vs Eddie Cleaver. Orcs from Mordor are
            like Orcs from Moria on steroids. Sauron has the biggest and baddest
            assaulting Minas Tirith (Orcs from Moria) while the minor leagues
            (Orcs from Moria) are guarding the outskirts of the battle. Ignoring
            the Balrog, of course. (Did he really have wings?) Hah!

            Goblins are little dudes, Orcs are the big and nasty dudes.

            Same species. Kind of like comparing the football team to the chess
            club. Still human, with a much smaller tolerance to Jack Daniels. Or
            Bud Light.

            >Dave L

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional