Orcs and Goblins

  • REN
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009

      Are Orcs and Goblins the same thing and if not, what is the difference?

      Ren

      Dogs have owners. Cats have staff

    • daveleeper
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "REN" <ren@...> wrote:

        > Are Orcs and Goblins the same thing and if not, what is the difference?
        >

        > Ren
        >

        > Dogs have owners. Cats have staff

        Orcs and Goblins are like ARod vs Eddie Cleaver. Orcs from Mordor are
        like Orcs from Moria on steroids. Sauron has the biggest and baddest
        assaulting Minas Tirith (Orcs from Moria) while the minor leagues
        (Orcs from Moria) are guarding the outskirts of the battle. Ignoring
        the Balrog, of course. (Did he really have wings?) Hah!

        Goblins are little dudes, Orcs are the big and nasty dudes.

        Same species. Kind of like comparing the football team to the chess
        club. Still human, with a much smaller tolerance to Jack Daniels. Or
        Bud Light.

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009

          In the Hobbit, Tolkien talks about goblins, and everywhere else he talks about orcs

          He is just using the word goblin in his children’s story to signify the same sort of nasty being

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
              Yet Tolkien speaks of the Great Goblin, king of the lesser breeds

              It isn't size

              > Are Orcs and Goblins the same thing and if not, what is the difference?
              >

              > Ren
              >

              > Dogs have owners. Cats have staff

              Orcs and Goblins are like ARod vs Eddie Cleaver. Orcs from Mordor are
              like Orcs from Moria on steroids. Sauron has the biggest and baddest
              assaulting Minas Tirith (Orcs from Moria) while the minor leagues
              (Orcs from Moria) are guarding the outskirts of the battle. Ignoring
              the Balrog, of course. (Did he really have wings?) Hah!

              Goblins are little dudes, Orcs are the big and nasty dudes.

              Same species. Kind of like comparing the football team to the chess
              club. Still human, with a much smaller tolerance to Jack Daniels. Or
              Bud Light.

              >Dave L

            • Peter Chapman
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
                In English, Hobgoblins usually used to mean the bigger types. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobgoblin

                Hobbits appear to at first use the term goblin & then pick up orc from other folk.
                "he (Ferny's ethnically challenged mate) looks more than half like a goblin"

                L-o-H
                Yet Tolkien speaks of the Great Goblin, king of the lesser breeds

                It isn't size

                > Are Orcs and Goblins the same thing and if not, what is the difference?
                >

                > Ren
                >

                > Dogs have owners. Cats have staff

                Orcs and Goblins are like ARod vs Eddie Cleaver. Orcs from Mordor are
                like Orcs from Moria on steroids. Sauron has the biggest and baddest
                assaulting Minas Tirith (Orcs from Moria) while the minor leagues
                (Orcs from Moria) are guarding the outskirts of the battle. Ignoring
                the Balrog, of course. (Did he really have wings?) Hah!

                Goblins are little dudes, Orcs are the big and nasty dudes.

                Same species. Kind of like comparing the football team to the chess
                club. Still human, with a much smaller tolerance to Jack Daniels. Or
                Bud Light.

                >Dave L

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional