Tom Bombadil goes a-boating

  • Anthony Appleyard
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2009
      When was "Tom Bombadil goes a-boating" written? Did its Shire
      geography come from LOTR, or vice-versa? (Apart from the matter which
      LOTR got from the older Tom Bombadil poem?)
    • BRUCE WILSON
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2009
        According to what I read, most of the poems in "Adventures" were written many years before, when he was teaching at Leeds and shortly after he returned to Oxford; some were rewritten to harmonize them with Middle Earth.

        Tom's appearance was based on a doll that Priscilla was given
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2009
          It's hard to be specific
          Tolkien wrote, then changed a few words and rewrote, and wrote it all out
          again
          So his son Christopher has actually published more "books by Tolkien" than
          his father ever did!