new member intro

  • Asphodellyn Wormwood
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2008
      Hi everyone,

        I am Linda, aka asphodellynwormwood, and a new member here. I've only recently started to read Tolkien. Currently, I'm maybe 3/4 through The Hobbit and plan to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy next. Previously, my sole experience with Tolkien was watching the animated version of The Hobbit as a child. To say, I find it all a bit overwhelming would be an understatement, which is why I thought joining a group that discusses it would be a good idea. I have not seen any of the movies, though I would dearly like to see them.I hope that the insights I gain here will help my understanding of Tolkien and his works. I don't mind any kind of spoilers as the general idea is rather well-known.
        My background is in German literature. I stopped about 6 credits short of an MA in German literature/language. My current job is in retail management, but I'm still entertaining thoughts of returning to university to finish that MA, if not to try for the PhD.
        As some might have guessed from my screen name, my previous fascination was in the world of Harry Potter. However, the seventh book killed a good deal of my enthusiasm for that series as I felt it was a let-down and not particularly internally consistent in terms of the fantasy world JKR created. I hope that Tolkien is better in that respect. I believe he is, just from what I've heard.
        I am very happy to be here and am anxious to get to know you all better through your posts and thoughts on Tolkien and his works. I hope and know that I will gain many insights and a better appreciation from your collected knowledge on the subject. Thank you for allowing me, a real Tolkien novice, to be part of your discussion group.

        Linda, aka asphodellynwormwood

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24, 2008
        Welcome to the group.

        We're currently discussing "Summer Doldrums and their effect on discussion groups." :)

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 24, 2008
          Well we know that the Hobbits deal with Summer Doldrums by smoking some pipeweed from the South Farthing and hoisting a full pint at the Green Dragon. Wait a minute?!? That's how they deal with everything!!
          We're currently discussing "Summer Doldrums and their effect on discussion groups." :)