LOTR discussion?

  • whiteladyofrohan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10 5:26 AM
      What has happened to our LOTR discussion?  I haven't seen an email from this group since April 30.  Either no one's talking or I'm having technical difficulties.

      Testing 1-2-3

      ~Debbie

    • Gustavo
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31 6:36 PM
        Hello Debbie
        (& ev'ryone)

        It happens. I have to admit that I've been a bit distant, although
        I've bought my first English version of 'The Hobbit', recently, and
        should be enthusiastic about reading it (I intend to translate
        it ...), but I think it has been slow because I'm still joining
        money to get a notebook, and it'll take about a year still.

        I haven't read this new book, about the Children of Hurin ... Does
        anyone have news on it? (I just saw a pocket edition in the
        bookstore I usually go, and thought about buying it, after all. It's
        a very nice edition!)

        TH edition I bought was green 14x21 one, by Houghton Mifflin, with
        prof R. Tolkien's drawing of invisible Bilbo, talking with Smaug ...
        A very nice edition, I think! :)

        In touch from Rio,
        in a winter day of 2008

        Gus

        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, whiteladyofrohan@...
        wrote:

        > What has happened to our LOTR discussion? I haven't seen an
        email from this
        > group since April 30. Either no one's talking or I'm having
        technical
        > difficulties.
        >
        > Testing 1-2-3
        >
        > ~Debbie
        >

        > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists
        on family
        > favorites at AOL Food.

      • Brian Sheehan
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31 8:46 PM

          Gus,

          Greetings Gus! It would be great to have an edition of The Hobbit in Portuguese.

          I read Children of Hurin last year. I thought it was pretty good, very much in the writing style of The Silmarillion (i.e. high language). It is a tragedy in the Greek sense of the word: it is fatalistic, full of great highs and inescapable lows. Túrin, the hero, accomplishes great things, but is always brought down through his own hubris... as fated by Morgoth.

          If you enjoyed The Silmarillion, then I think you'd enjoy the Children of Hurin (CoH).

          Maybe others could chime in on their opinions of CoH?

          Regards,

          Brian

          ---

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008

            I bought The Children of Hurin  the day it came out

            I love it – but of course I loved it when I read it years ago in the Silmarillion

            Yes, there is a bit more detail – but frankly it doesn’t seem that much more than the one I read 20 years ago

            target="_blank">http://food. aol.com/dinner- tonight?NCID= aolfod0003000000 0001)