Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: The Hobbit - Chapter Nineteen Summary

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi,

      I wonder if, like meditation, walking long distances like that can be a way
      of emptying the mind, of returning to a more animal-like state of awareness.

      Which might sound like new-age waffle, but walking every day certainly helps
      clear my thoughts, and I can only imagine that walking all day every day
      would do this but to a far greater degree.

      I suppose, also, that given both of their long lifespans, and the slower
      pace of life in Middle-earth, a few month's walk would be less staggeringly
      different to their usual existence than it is for us.

      John
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
        Exactly! I was left pondering that idea for quite a while. No one
        spends that kind of time with another person anymore. How much time do
        you actually spend talking to your friends? your spouse? your
        children? Not much compared to the kind of time these guys had as they
        walked from Erebor to The Shire.

        I have found in my life that I built the strongest bonds with the
        people that I have hiked with. I'm not talking about a stroll in the
        woods, but real arduous hiking and sleeping out under the stars. For
        example, I spent 4 separate 3 week trips hiking valleys and climbing
        cliffs for my Geology degree. Usually those excursions were with only
        one or two others. You really bond with someone whom you faced danger
        with or with whom you accomplished a great journey.

        For this reason, I hope that I can take my daughter on an arduous hike
        someday before she is too old to want to spend that kind of time with
        her old man. I just have to wait until she is old enough and strong
        enough to do it. I know a couple of father/daughter teams that have
        done extensive hiking, such as on the Appalachian Trail, and have
        built life long bonds that they could not have achieved in the day to
        day life of city living.

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
          How many of us can actually afford the luxury of such a walk? How
          would you pay the bills back home? How would you keep your job? Who
          among us has the skills to obtain food and water, start a fire without
          matches or a lighter, repair clothing and footwear, and so on. Who
          could cross a mountain pass in late summer and sustain themselves?

          I have a lot of outdoor experience, and I can tell you, I do not have
          the ability to survive such a journey.

          One thing that Tolkien does not spend much time on is how his
          characters survive. How do they get water, food, and fire?

          Matt West

          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "John Davis" <mcxg46@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I wonder if, like meditation, walking long distances like that can
          be a way
          > of emptying the mind, of returning to a more animal-like state of
          awareness.

          > Which might sound like new-age waffle, but walking every day
          certainly helps
          > clear my thoughts, and I can only imagine that walking all day every
          day
          > would do this but to a far greater degree.
          >
          > I suppose, also, that given both of their long lifespans, and the
          slower
          > pace of life in Middle-earth, a few month's walk would be less
          staggeringly
          > different to their usual existence than it is for us.
          >
          > John
          Summary

          > > Matt wondered:
          > >
          > > When a journey takes so many months, one wonders what two companions
          > > would talk about for so long. Do they fall into long periods of quiet,
          > > or did Gandalf regale Bilbo with the history of Ea?
          > >

          > > Steve responds: The possability of such a conversation staggers
          the mind.
          > > Mine at least.
          > >
          > > Steve S.

        • John Davis
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
            Hi,

            Well, being vegan, I'd probably starve in a matter of a week or so!

            But Hobbits are always portrayed as being faster, quieter, and more atuned
            with nature than men, so I would imagine that foraging for food would be
            easy enough for them, especially a newly-hardened Bilbo. As for Gandalf, do
            Istari even need to eat?

            John

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008

              No cars, no bicycles – relatively few horses

              Before the bike was invented, most people did not travel very far.

              > When a journey takes so many months, one wonders what two companions
              > would talk about for so long. Do they fall into long periods of quiet,
              > or did Gandalf regale Bilbo with the history of Ea?
              >

              > Steve responds: The possability of such a conversation staggers the mind.
              > Mine at least.
              >
              > Steve S.

            • Bruce Alan Wilson
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
                Re: The Hobbit - Chapter Nineteen Summary

                As for Istari needing to eat, JRRT says that one of the limitations put on them was that they had the same physical needs as the Children of Illuvatar.  I presume that would include needing to eat.

                And he does talk about their food supplies growing low in Mirkwood, about Bilbo gathering herbs and fruits when they were going down the other side of the mountains, of Elrond and Beorn resupplying their foodstuffs, and it says that dwarves are very good at starting fires in all but the worst conditions and that Dori and Ori were good at it even for Dwarves.  (And, of course, if worse comes to worse for most of the trip they had a firemage!)  He doesn't go on and on about it like David Eddings does (hurrah!)

                Bruce Alan Wilson

              • mbranparker
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Simply Wonderful.....thank you 8)
> [...]
                  >
                  > The hobbit even took to writing his memoirs, "There and Back Again,?
                  a Hobbit's Holiday." In fact, some years after his adventures in the
                  Wild, while writing these memoirs, Gandalf shows up with Balin and
                  the trio waste no time in catching up on events during and since
                  their time together. Bard had rebuilt Dale and Lake-town still
                  prospered as well, though the old Master had come to a bad end. The
                  dwarves, men and elves of the region surrounding the Lonely Mountain
                  were mutually allied and this becomes significant during the War of
                  the Ring.

                  > The chapter and book end with Gandalf saying "You are a very fine
                  person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you, but you are only
                  quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" The hobbit
                  laughingly responds "Thank goodness" as he hands the wizard a tobacco-

                • Matt
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
                    Ancestral humans did travel a lot. In primitive times they followed
                    herds around or journeyed from villages to hunting grounds. Our most
                    primitive ancestors walked out of Africa and spread across the entire
                    globe, all on foot. In ancient times, pilgrims traveled for years to
                    visit religious sites. Armies swept across Europe, Asia, and Northern
                    Africa on foot or horseback. Roads connected the Middle-east to
                    central and Eastern Asia. People traversed these great distances on
                    foot, camel, and horse to exchange goods, conquer new lands, and
                    conduct pilgrimages. Sea faring peoples traveled ever farther. Ships
                    plied the coasts of Europe, North America, Africa, the Mediterranean,
                    and the South China Sea. Europeans crossed the North American
                    continent in wagons and on horseback. Asian migrants populated North
                    and South America entirely on foot or in relatively primitive boats.
                    Australian aboriginals sailed to Australia from SE Asia. They
                    regularly crossed the continent following annual cycles. South seas
                    peoples traversed the oceans in primitive boats and populated islands
                    scattered all over the Pacific ocean.

                    When journeys were undertaken, they lasted months or years, not hours
                    or days.

                    I think that humans have lost the skills needed to survive on long
                    journeys. Of course, we have also all but wiped out the natural food
                    supply. If it weren't for agriculture, we'd still be wandering the
                    Earth as a relatively insignificant bi-pedal mammal.

                    Matt West