The Hobbit - Chapter Eleven Summary

  • steveseg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2008
      It took three days for the dwarves, Bilbo and their escort of townsmen to row up the Long Lake and Running River as the eleventh chapter, "On the Doorstep" begins. Once the party disembarked to begin the overland trek, the men returned to Esgaroth, in fear of Smaug.

      By the end of the following day, they arrived at the Desolation of Smaug, by the skirts of the Lonely Mountain. Here, their first camp was made, by the great southern spur. Their plan was to then set out for the western spurs, whereon the hidden door to Smaug's lair was located. But first, Balin, Kili and File are sent to scout southward, where stood the Front gate. Bilbo joins them, whether by choice or not, is unclear. Their path led by the heights of Ravenhill and the ruins of Dale.

      Disheartened by the sight of what was left of Dale, the company soon espies the Front Gate from whence the Running River sprang. Crows are only birds about and they are perceived as dark and possible spies of evil. These ill birds of omen and the dark steamy vapor, emitted from the Front Gate are enough to nudge the party to end their scouting mission and return to their camp. The harsh croaking of the crows accompany their dispirited retreat.

      The questers had left Hobbiton in June and Autumn was now drawing to a close. The weight of Smaug's presence left the dwarves in a funk and it was Bilbo who prompted the active search for the secret door. Camp was moved westward as the desolation of the dragon was noticeably less and it was the area that needed to be searched for the concealed entrance to the Lonely Mountain.

      It was Mr. Baggins, along with Fili and Kili who finally discovered the very well hidden door. But opening it was not to be as easy, despite the combined efforts of all (except Bofur and Bombur), to solve the riddle. These two had been left back at their latest camp, with the ponies, while the balance trudged on up to the secret door where their third camp on the mountain was made.

      The map was perused often, the runes discussed, tools of attack used, but none of these means availed. Gloomily, their initial enthusiasm waned while they sat on the "doorstep." Even Bilbo was dispirited as he often gazed toward Mirkwood and the distant Misty Mountains as the local giant snails slowly meandered by.

      With the last week of autumn upon the and the realization of winter's approach has soured the easily soured dwarves, on the worth of their formerly esteemed burglar. aware of their thoughts, a subdued Bilbo stares moodily toward Mirkwood as the sun drops down and its last rays are slowly directed at the door as an enormous thrush catches a snail and cracks it open. Sudden realization galvanizes the hobbit to frantic action as he hurriedly gathers all the dwarves and they assemble on the "doorstep." Here they wait, their beards wagging impatiently, for the absolute last ray to strike the door, which it soon does and reveals the key hole in which Thorin frantically inserts his key, just in time. The thrush observes all as with a turn of the key, the five feet tall by three feet broad door opens inwards, revealing nothing, as darkness reigns supreme!

      Steve S.

    • Matt
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2008
        We see the fulfilment of the prophesy of the moon-letters on Thorin's map:

        ...... "Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks," read Elrond,
        "and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine
        upon the key-hole."

        ...... "Durin, Durin!" said Thorin. "He was the father of the fathers
        of the eldest race of Dwarves, the Longbeards, and my first ancestor:
        I am his heir."

        ...... "Then what is Durin's Day?" asked Elrond.

        ...... "The first day of the dwarves' New Year," said Thorin, "is as
        all should know the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the
        threshold of Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon
        of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together. But this will not help
        us much, I fear, for it passes our skill in these days to guess when
        such a time will come again."

        All that they had to do was wait for the right second of time, and
        they could get in. If they had been a day later they would have missed
        the opportunity. If they had given up sooner they would never have
        found the door. If they had not been delayed in Mirkwood and the Elven
        halls and the city of men.... It was all about timing. They should
        have been keenly watching the Moon and paying attention to the date
        all along in order to make sure that they were at the door for the
        last moon of Autumn.

        Anyway, not a terribly interesting chapter as they are mostly skulking
        around or waiting. I think more time could have been given to
        describing the desolation, the main gates, and so on.

        I wonder if the Thrush was a Maiar or perhaps a messenger of Manwe or
        Yavanna or perhaps was Gandalf himself. Who knows!?

        Matt West

        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, steveseg@... wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > With the last week of autumn upon the and the realization of
        winter's approach has soured the easily soured dwarves, on the worth
        of their formerly esteemed burglar. aware of their thoughts, a subdued
        Bilbo stares moodily toward Mirkwood as the sun drops down and its
        last rays are slowly directed at the door as an enormous thrush
        catches a snail and cracks it open. Sudden realization galvanizes the
        hobbit to frantic action as he hurriedly gathers all the dwarves and
        they assemble on the "doorstep." Here they wait, their beards wagging
        impatiently, for the absolute last ray to strike the door, which it
        soon does and reveals the key hole in which Thorin frantically inserts
        his key, just in time. The thrush observes all as with a turn of the
        key, the five feet tall by three feet broad door opens inwards,
        revealing nothing, as darkness reigns supreme!

      • Servo Kamen
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
          It's amazing how pessemistic and forgetful these Dwarves are.  I have to wonder if one of the reasons why Gandalf included Bilbo was just because he'd respond in a better fashion.

          SHADOWKamen. GIF WARS! http://shadowkamen.tripod.com/ (Animated GIF website)

          Send offlist e-mails to info_servo@...