RE: The Hobbit Chapter Ten Summary

  • REN
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2008
      Tolkien Discussions

      I must say, I am really enjoying this

      Ren J

      From: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:02 AM
      To: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TolkienDiscussions] Digest Number 2092

      Messages In This Digest (1 Message)

      Message

      1a.

      Re: The Hobbit - Chapter Ten Summary

      Posted by: "Matt" tea_party@...   uncutray

      Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:22 am (PST)

      This chapter is certainly a turning point for this book. It is here
      that Bilbo loses his leadership of the group, but becomes recognized
      for the talents that Gandalf claimed he had.

      Thorin is "mistaken" for the King Under the Mountain. He is in fact
      the grandson of the true King Under the Mountain, but the lake men are
      so eager to see prophesy fulfilled that they are willing to ignore the
      discrepancy.

      The Elven-king is not as easily taken in. He is old enough and wise
      enough to know that while the Dwarves are definitely on a mission, it
      is one of burglary, not fulfillment of prophesy.

      Both the Elven-king and the King of the lake men are hoping to profit
      from whatever transpires as a result of the Dwarven assault on the
      Lonely Mountain.

      The sword Orcrist is lost, now being in the hand of the Elven-king.
      Bilbo still has Sting under his cloak as none of the lake men thought
      to search him when the Dwarves first arrived in the bridge gate house.

      Matt West

      --- In TolkienDiscussions@ yahoogroups. com, steveseg@... wrote:

      > The tenth chapter of "The Hobbit" is "A Warm Welcome."
      Bilbo and the
      dwarves continue their journey down the Forest River , via barrels or
      casks. Thorin and the other dwarves are within while the hobbit is
      astride. The Lake-men have?joined the Wood-elves in the guidance of
      the barrel-rafts. As they approach Long Lake on the Running River ,
      Bilbo has his first view of the Lonely Mountain . And soon thereafter,
      the lake itself is entered. And soon after that, the town of Esgaroth
      is reached.

      > That night, Bilbo releases the dwarves from their imprisonment,
      while the Lake-men feasted. Most of Bilbo's companions are in various
      stages of misery, but all are alive and eager to enter the town proper
      via the great bridge. Here, Thorin demands that the guard captain?take
      him and the others to the town's Master, which he does. In the great
      hall where the Master feasted, Thorin announces that he has returned
      while the Wood-elves angrily demand their return to the status of
      Mirkwood prisoners. The Master ponders what to do, while the word
      spreads throughout Esgaroth that the King Under the Mountain has
      returned . A song of prophecy is sung, predicting the the return of
      great wealth to the region. This clinches it and despite personal
      misgivings, the dwarves and hobbit are made welcome as heroes-to-be.

      > The Wood-elves retuen back up the
      w:st="on">Forest River and report the doings
      in the town. The king decides to await events and iff the dwarves were
      to return to Mirkwood, laden with treasure, then he would levy a tax
      on it. Spies were sent to keep abreast of events on the lake and near
      (but not too near) the Lonely Mountain .

      > After a fortnight, near the end of autumn, Thorin and his band take
      leave of Esgaroth and start rowing up Long Lake and the Running River ,
      well provisioned of course. A joyous sendoff by the townfolk accompany
      their departure and the dwarves are?excited to embark on the final leg
      of their quest. Bilbo however, is far from happy...

      > Steve S.

      http://webmail. aol.com

      Y! Entertainment

      World of Star Wars

      Rediscover the force.

      Explore now.

      Yahoo! Groups

      Self Improvement

      Find support & keep

      New Year's goals.

      Special K Group

      on Yahoo! Groups

      Join the challenge

      and lose weight.

      Need to Reply?

    • Matt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2008
        Cool! Me too--surprisingly. I don't think I would have picked up The
        Hobbit to reread ever again if it hadn't been for this discussion. Now
        I know that I will read this book to my daughter in another year or
        so. She's almost ready for it.

        The other day I photocopied the maps from the book, we coloured them
        together, then we role played an adventure where we went and slayed
        Smaug and captured his hoard. I recently started playing D&D with my 4
        year old, so she saw our little Hobbit adventure as an extension of
        our D&D playing. In fact, she went out to meet Smaug as her character,
        Regdar the human fighter, rather than as a Dwarve or a Hobbit.

        Matt West

        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "REN" <ren@...> wrote:

        > I must say, I am really enjoying this
        >

        > Ren :-)
        >

        > _____

        zk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNoZHIEc2xrA2hwa
        > ARzdGltZQMxMjAxNjkwOTI3> Tolkien Discussions
        >
        > Messages In This Digest (1 Message)
        >
        > 1a.
        >
        > Re: The Hobbit - Chapter Ten Summary From: Matt

        Nmp0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNkbXNn
        > BHNsawNhdHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyMDE2OTA5Mjc-?xm=1&m=p&tidx=1> View All Topics |

        BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNs
        > awNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyMDE2OTA5Mjc-> Create New Topic
        >
        > Message
        >
        > 1a.

        yZGluMXIzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0l
        > kAzE4NzI1BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyMDE2OTA5Mjc-> Re: The
        Hobbit -

        <mailto:TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com?Subject=%20Re%3A%20The%20Hobbit%2
        > 0-%20Chapter%20Ten%20Summary> Reply to group |

        BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0lkAzE4NzI1

        BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEyMDE2OTA5Mjc-?act=reply&messageNum=18725>

        3ZHVrNTNlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0l

        kAzE4NzI1BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyMDE2OTA5MjcEdHBjSWQDMTg3MjQ->
        > Messages in this topic (2)

        zk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3Zna
        > HAEc3RpbWUDMTIwMTY5MDkyNw--> Visit Your Group
        >
        > Y! Entertainment

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13ocq5a8c/M=493064.12016259.12445666.9963301/D=

        groups/S=1705019844:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1201698127/L=/B=p.5MAkLaX.M-/J=1201690927
        > 615351/A=5008817/R=0/SIG=10sulld0b/*http:/starwars.yahoo.com/> World
        of Star
        > Wars
        >
        > Rediscover the force.
        >
        > Explore now.
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13o8eeat6/M=493064.12117552.12537389.8674578/D=

        groups/S=1705019844:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1201698127/L=/B=qO5MAkLaX.M-/J=1201690927

        615351/A=5170403/R=0/SIG=11ml7n8m5/*http:/advision.webevents.yahoo.com/selfi
        > mprovement/> Self Improvement
        >
        > Find support & keep
        >
        > New Year's goals.
        >
        > Special K Group

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13p9rmpnn/M=493064.12016300.12445692.11323196/D

        =groups/S=1705019844:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1201698127/L=/B=qe5MAkLaX.M-/J=120169092

        > p> on Yahoo! Groups
        >
        > Join the challenge
        >
        > and lose weight.
        >
        > Need to Reply?
        >
        > Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in
        the Daily
        > Digest.

        BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xr
        > A250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTIwMTY5MDkyNw--> Create New Topic |

        zk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwB
        > HN0aW1lAzEyMDE2OTA5Mjc-> Visit Your Group on the Web

        dmJwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIE
        > c2xrA21zZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTIwMTY5MDkyNw--> Messages |

        oBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2x
        > rA2ZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzEyMDE2OTA5Mjc-> Files |

        JoBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2
        > xrA3Bob3QEc3RpbWUDMTIwMTY5MDkyNw--> Photos |

        lBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2x
        > rA2xpbmtzBHN0aW1lAzEyMDE2OTA5Mjc-> Links |

        aWhqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIE
        > c2xrA2RiBHN0aW1lAzEyMDE2OTA5Mjc-> Database |

        wBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2x
        > rA3BvbGxzBHN0aW1lAzEyMDE2OTA5Mjc-> Polls |

        YmpuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIE
        > c2xrA2NhbARzdGltZQMxMjAxNjkwOTI3> Calendar

        > MARKETPLACE
        >
        > _____

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13rov897a/M=571476.12066680.12490312.11509771/D

        =groups/S=1705019844:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1201698127/L=/B=pu5MAkLaX.M-/J=1201690

        927615351/A=5086951/R=0/SIG=12k8pu1n3/*http:/college-finder.net/index.cfm?ke
        > y=yahoo_colfngrouptxt_12066680&c=CA152932587> Earn your degree in as
        few as
        > 2 years - Advance your career with an AS, BS, MS degree -
        > College-Finder.net.

        DkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMjAxNjkwOTI3>

        <mailto:TolkienDiscussions-normal@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%

        <mailto:TolkienDiscussions-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Deli
        > very%20Format:%20Traditional> Switch format to Traditional

        zk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZ

        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359715/grpId=7749098/grpspId=1705019844/msgId