Re: The Hobbit - Chapter Nine Summary

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
      Technically, Loegolas, through his father Thranduil, the High King of
      the Woodelves of Mirkwood, was Sindarin, not Silvan. Maybe the Silvan
      elves really are more dwarvish in their bearing, while their Sindarin
      rulers bring a bit of refined Beleriand comport to the woodland realm.

      Having said that, the Elves that they met in Rivendell were pretty
      silly... other than Elrond and some of the other high born Elves.

      Matt West

      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rob1138@...> wrote:

      > I've always thought that the portrayal of the "wood elves" in The
      Hobbit and
      > Legolas in LotR were not in congruence with each other. Legolas
      seems a lot
      > more like a "high" elf than the elves in The Hobbit do.
      >
      > I guess we can chalk it up to differences in Bilbo's and Frodo's writing
      > style (Bilbo, jokester that he is as witnessed by his trick at the
      beginning
      > of LotR, creates a more buffoonish portrayal than the more serious
      recorder
      > Frodo does). Do we know when Bilbo wrote "The Hobbit" sections of
      the Red
      > Book? Perhaps he even wrote his tale as a story to tell his young
      nephew or
      > various children hobbits in Hobbiton. (Children seem more likely to
      listen
      > to his "foolishness" than the more "regular joe" adults in Hobbiton who
      > would look on Bilbo's stories as "queer" or maybe even Tookish!)
      >
      > Robert

    • John Davis
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
        Hi,

        I think the difference between Hobbit and LotR elves is due to a change in
        Tolkien's writing style and thoughts, not something that can or should be
        justified within the reality of the world. Unless, as I think someone else
        suggested, one takes the elves of the Hobbit as being Bilbo's description of
        them for children he was telling the tale to. Save that even then, the
        narrator of the Hobbit is clearly not Bilbo but a more modern voice -
        whatever internal-reality version of the tale Bilbo told, it is not the book
        The Hobbit as we have it.

        John
        > Technically, Loegolas, through his father Thranduil, the High King of
        > the Woodelves of Mirkwood, was Sindarin, not Silvan. Maybe the Silvan
        > elves really are more dwarvish in their bearing, while their Sindarin
        > rulers bring a bit of refined Beleriand comport to the woodland realm.
        >
        > Having said that, the Elves that they met in Rivendell were pretty
        > silly... other than Elrond and some of the other high born Elves.
        >
        > Matt West
        >

        > --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rob1138@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I've always thought that the portrayal of the "wood elves" in The
        > Hobbit and
        >> Legolas in LotR were not in congruence with each other. Legolas
        > seems a lot
        >> more like a "high" elf than the elves in The Hobbit do.
        >>
        >> I guess we can chalk it up to differences in Bilbo's and Frodo's writing
        >> style (Bilbo, jokester that he is as witnessed by his trick at the
        > beginning
        >> of LotR, creates a more buffoonish portrayal than the more serious
        > recorder
        >> Frodo does). Do we know when Bilbo wrote "The Hobbit" sections of
        > the Red
        >> Book? Perhaps he even wrote his tale as a story to tell his young
        > nephew or
        >> various children hobbits in Hobbiton. (Children seem more likely to
        > listen
        >> to his "foolishness" than the more "regular joe" adults in Hobbiton who
        >> would look on Bilbo's stories as "queer" or maybe even Tookish!)
        >>
        >> Robert

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
          Ultimately we have to look at the creation of the Hobbit. JRRT sat
          down to write it as a tale for children. He began to loosely fit it
          into the world that he was creating for his Book of Lost Tales, which
          later became The Silmarillion, but he never really intended to make it
          consistent with that universe. When he began to write LOTR, it started
          out as another children's tale, and ended up being the finale to his
          then unpublished Middle-earth writings. The book quickly evolved from
          a second children's book to an epic for adults!

          The Hobbit would certainly be cooler if it were written at the same
          level as LotR or The Children of Hurin, rather than being written as a
          children's book. As with so much of Tolkien's work, we have regrets
          that he was not able to complete them in his lifetime to his satisfaction.

          Matt West

          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "John Davis" <mcxg46@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I think the difference between Hobbit and LotR elves is due to a
          change in
          > Tolkien's writing style and thoughts, not something that can or
          should be
          > justified within the reality of the world. Unless, as I think
          someone else
          > suggested, one takes the elves of the Hobbit as being Bilbo's
          description of
          > them for children he was telling the tale to. Save that even then, the
          > narrator of the Hobbit is clearly not Bilbo but a more modern voice -
          > whatever internal-reality version of the tale Bilbo told, it is not
          the book
          > The Hobbit as we have it.
          >
          > John

        • John Davis
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
            Dare we hope that PJ's version will restore the Hobbit to a LotR-like
            version?!

            John

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
              I think these elves are different from the high elves that Tolkien wrote
              about in the Sil and elves of LOTR because The Hobbit was written more as a
              children's story, hence their clownish nature. There was probably more to
              them than that but with the nature of the book, Tolkien didn't delve too
              much into it.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
                Dare we pray that PJ's version of The Hobbit will stay within the spirit of
                Tolkien's Middle-Earth and not some alternate world!?!

                Gary

                > Dare we hope that PJ's version will restore the Hobbit to a LotR-like
                > version?!
                >
                > John

              • Peter Chapman
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
                  Most definitely. These elves are the Teleri - the high elves in middle earth are Noldor - who are interested in crafts. The Teleri are more rustic - and perhaps less wise,

                  L-o-H

> [...]
                  >> barrels full of trade items for the men of Long Lake. The plot is
                  > almost
                  >> discovered by some of the Wood-elves but the Galion the butler,
                  > quashes their
                  >> inquiry concerning the "heavier than they should be" barrels.
                  >>
                  >> At the last moment, Bilbo realizes he too must escape and jumps upon
                  > the
                  >> last barrel and rides it for all its worth, while invisible. It was
                  > no easy task
                  >> and soon he joined the raft-elves as they journeyed down the Forest
                  > River to
                  >> the  Running. Once again, he escape plot is almost detected but once
                  > again,
                  >> impatience wins the day for the hobbit and dwarves. As they continue
                  > their
                  >> flight and leave Mirkwood behind, Bilbo wonders at the fate of the

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      mailto:TolkienDiscussions-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      mailto:TolkienDiscussions-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
                    Obviously the real world reason why Hobbit and LotR and Silmarillion are so
                    different is the writer's style, thinking, and audience. I'm just trying to
                    postulate a reason within the created world that would tie it all together.

                    Tolkien always had the conceit that he had not written The Hobbit or LotR,
                    but rather was a translator of texts he had found.

                    So I guess he changed his authorial voice to match what he thought was the
                    original author's intent (Bilbo, Frodo, or the various elves who wrote the
                    Silmarillion material) as any translator would do.

                    That's my story, at least. :)

                    Rob