The Hobbit - Chapter Six Summary

  • steveseg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2007
      "Out of the Frying-Pan Into the Fire" is the sixth chapter of "The Hobbit."

      Bilbo wanders on the eastern downside slopes of the Misty Mountains, after his narrow escape from both Gollum and the goblins, via the Back-Door or Lower Gate to (and from) Goblin Town. Dusk was approaching by then and soon enough, he stumples upon the dwarf encampment. Bilbo eavesdrops a bit on Gandalf and company before entering unseen, courtesy of the Ring.

      His stature grows as he relates his adventures among the goblins and Gollum. But he does not mention the Ring... And Gandalf does give Bilbo a queer look, but nothing more. He does comment that "a more or less decent giant" could be asked to block up the goblins new entrance on the far side of the mountains.

      The journey toward the Great River continues, sans ponies as they had become goblin-fodder. Camp is made in a clearing of woods where the party is beset by Wargs. So into the trees they went, with Bilbo being in need of assistance, which Dori bravely provided. It was their bad luck to pick the clearing where the goblins and their Warg allies meet when they plan mischief. So, the goblins were enroute even as Gandalf had fun throwing colorful bolts of flame on the wolvish Wargs. Panic ensues but no means of escape is presented.

      Meanwhile, the Lord of the Eagles becomes aware that someting was amiss and with some of his subjects, investigate the commotion. They arrive shortly after the goblins who are amused by the Wargs discomfort but soon turn to the serious business of burning down the trees housing the dwarves, hobbit and wizard. And singing with gusto, they proceed to do so with great efficiency.

      Just when it seemed the party was doomed, the Eagles swooped down and snatched them up, flying toward their haven on the east side of the mountains. After a brief stop over, they finally end up safely at the Great Shelf where Gandalf converses with the Lord of the Eagles, with apparent familiarity.

      That night, the adventurers feast, with the help of the Eagles, and sleep overtakes them all. Bilbo dreams of Bag End, soundly yet vaguely troubled. Thus ends the adventures of the Misty Mountains.

      Steve S.

    • Matt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1 6:59 PM
        This chapter also introduces us the some of the Geography East of the
        Misty Mountains, including the whereabouts of Men and Eagles. I was
        amused to learn that the Eagles raid the farms of Men and carry away
        their sheep. I always imagined the Eagles as being spirits in the
        service of Mandos, and so probably not behaving like real Eagles, nor
        requiring sustenance. We also learn that Men shoot at the Eagles,
        something that I'm sure the Elves would never do!!

        Matt West