Newcomer Intro

  • steveseg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2007
      Jack said: Hi Steve!

      Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo!

      Welcome to the group!
      Feel free to email an introduction.

      Thank you Jack for the welcome Jack! But I'm wondering if I'm in over my head, what with the Elvish...

      I've been a steady reader and once in awhile poster to the Tolkien Newsgroup. I now receive daily digests from that group. I wonder how much of an overlap there is between our list and that group? Well, I won't ask if Balrogs have wings!

      When I was about twelve years old, a buddy of mine gave me his copy of "The Hobbit," saying "this looks like your kind of book." How incredibly right he was! Yep, I was enchanted by the enchanted prelude to "The Lord of the Rings." As far as I know I have most of the published works of J. R. R. and Christopher Tolkien, including numerous formats of the main body. Mainly for the cover art.

      If I were to pick one aspect of Middle-Earth that fascinates me the most, it would be Melkor/Morgoth and Sauron. I'm always interested in how beings that were once in the light turned to or even became the Shadow. This topic goes beyond Tolkien and includes the likes of Lord Foul of the Land, Brona of the Four Lands and Satan himself.

      I'll keep my introduction brief but I'm glad to be here and will post if I feel I can really add to an existing thread. Might even introduce one.

      Steve Servello (Steve S.)

    • Matt
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2007
        Hi Steve,

        Characters and peoples falling from grace is certainly a recurrent
        them in Tolkien's work, whether by their own hand or natures, or by
        being drawn there by their own weaknesses.

        I find Feanor fascinating. I envy his drive and skill and
        determination, but take as a warning the darker aspects of ones
        character that can come out as a result of these things. It's a pity
        that Feanor never found redemption... neither did Melkor, Sauron,
        Ar-Pharazon, Sauruman, Thingol, Isildur, Eol, nor Maeglin.

        In the early parts of The Silmarillion, Melkor is certainly the most
        interesting of the Valar because he struggles with the same things
        that most of us do. The other Valar represent those things to which we
        should aspire. I know that I am drawn to characters like Yavanna,
        Aule, and Osse because they represent the things that I love about
        Earth. But, when we are looking for ourselves, who is most like us but
        Melkor? He goes off the deep end, and serves as a warning to us all
        that we must find balance between the Melkor in us and the Manwe.
        Manwe's purity is his weakness and his downfall and as a result, the
        downfall of the Children of Iluvatar. The two extremes both lead to
        paths of ruin.

        Welcome to the group! If you are chatty or opinionated, you'll quickly
        find yourself drawn in to these discussions! LOL

        Matt West, the Chatty and Opinionated

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2007
          Welcome aboard! Always glad when new members join.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2007

            That’s OK, Steve

            I’ve just used up pretty much all the Elvish I know!