Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: OT: replacement

  • Peter Chapman
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 16, 2007
      Have you seen the gorilla, Matt.
      Actually it's Phil rather than Genesis

      L-o-H
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Matt
      Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 1:12 AM
      Subject: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: OT: replacement

      I had that happen to my Genesis Song of the Week discussion group last
      year. Weird, eh?

      Matt West

      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, Servo Kamen
      <psycho_neko_king@...> wrote:

      > Without any explanation, my Any_Discussion group was deleted today.
       Anyone who was on that group needs to join the backup group.

      > SHADOWKamen.   GIF WARS! http://shadowkamen.tripod.com/ (Animated
      GIF website)

      > Send offlist e-mails to info_servo@...

      > ---------------------------------
      mail, news, photos & more.

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:TolkienDiscussions-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:TolkienDiscussions-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • SHADOWKamen
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 16, 2007
        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <tea_party@...>
        wrote:

        > I had that happen to my Genesis Song of the Week discussion group
        last
        > year. Weird, eh?
        >
        > Matt West

        Did they ever bother to explain why?
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 17, 2007

          Plug warning!

          You might like to consider the Owners & Moderators group for detailed discussions of this point

          But in general, someone says something indiscreet (a swear word perhaps), someone complains to Yahoo, and Yahoo take the group down – no discussion, no appeal.  Only cure is to immediately set up a Genesis song of the week II group and let it grow again

          Moderator

          > I had that happen to my Genesis Song of the Week discussion group
          last
          > year. Weird, eh?
          >
          > Matt West

          Did they ever bother to explain why?

        • Matt
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 17, 2007
            Funny!

            Matt West

            --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Chapman"
            <hawkworks@...> wrote:

            > Have you seen the gorilla, Matt.
            > Actually it's Phil rather than Genesis
            > YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfpbjXWz0Mw&watch_response
            >
            > L-o-H

            Members,

          • Matt
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 17, 2007
              Nope.

              It may have been because one of the group members uploaded sound files
              of commercial releases. Yahoo seems to tolerate live bootleg material
              but not commercially available material. Just a theory. The
              disappearance of the group was coincident with the illegal upload.

              Matt West

              --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "SHADOWKamen"

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 17, 2007
                I originally set up the Genesis group as a favour to someone else.
                They moderated the discussion and I just threw in my two cents on the
                song of the week if it was one I really wanted to discuss. I really
                have no interest in restarting that group. I already analyzed all the
                songs I was really interested in analyzing anyway. Besides, between
                leading the Silmarillion discussion here and running my Rush Song of
                the Week group, I really don't have time for another group. I'm barely
                keeping up as it is!

                Matt West