Akallabeth - Some background

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
      I didn't have time at lunch to type up my Akallabeth notes for this
      week, but I did gather a bit of background information that you might
      find useful--especially if you haven't started reading it yet!

      ========================= The Akallabêth: The Downfall of Númenor 10/01/07

      Some background to this book:

      Akallabêth: A name for Downfallen Númenor. A name from the native
      Adûnaic language of Númenor, used by those few Dúnedain who survived
      the Downfall and escaped to Middle-earth. Akallabêth literally means
      'the Downfallen', and is equivalent to the Elvish name Atalantë. When
      the tale was created of the history of Númenor and its Downfall, that
      story also acquired the name Akallabêth.

      We have no specific date for the composition of Akallabêth, though by
      definition it must have post-dated the Downfall that it describes; the
      downfall took place near the end of the Second Age. Numenor is an
      island that was created at the beginning of the Second Age for the Men
      who had remained faithful to the Elves during the First Age. It seems
      most likely it was prepared early in the Third Age, probably in the
      North-kingdom (as suggested by the evident Elvish influences in the
      story, and the fact that a copy was apparently available to Bilbo at
      Rivendell).

      Numenor, the island kingdom of the Dúnedain, was raised from the sea
      by the Valar as a gift and reward to the Men who had remained faithful
      through the dark years of the First Age. The Edain who had dwelt in
      Beleriand were led to the island by Elros the Half-elven, who unlike
      his brother Elrond, had chosen to be counted among Men rather than Elves.

      Elros became the first King of Númenor, taking the name Tar-Minyatur.
      Under his rule, and the rule of his descendants, the Númenóreans rose
      to become the most powerful nation of Men in that or any other age.
      Their mighty ships returned to Middle-earth in II 600, and there they
      founded havens and cities.

      The Akallabeth is sort of a "history repeats itself" story where the
      best of the best get so proud of their own works and achievements that
      they defy the Valar. Of course, Melkor is not here to urge on the
      downfall with his evil subtlety, but his protege and successor Sauron
      is. We see again a dark lord transform from a smooth tongued liar and
      spreader of fear and ill-will into a mighty dark lord with huge armies
      at his disposal. This side of the story is continued in the next book,
      "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age", as well as in "The Hobbit"
      and "The Lord of the Rings". As the high Elves of Valinor fell from
      grace because of their own pride and because they allowed themselves
      to believe the lies of evil, so too do the high Men of Numenor fall
      from grace. These are not tales of good and evil, but rather of good
      turning to evil.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
        I apologize for lapsing in the discussion right now. I just moved and do not have internet service of any kind yet so I'm checking things elsewhere!

        Never know how much you'll miss google until it is gone.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007

          The Elvish form of the name, Atlante, is something of a pun.  In Greek, ‘Atlantis’ means ‘the Uplifted’ or ‘the Exaulted.’  The Elvish soundalike means just the reverse.

          JRRT had a lifetime recurring nightmare of a huge tsunami rising up and drowning all the lands.  Although he never told it to any of his children until they were grown up, he found that two of them had the same recurring dream.

          Bruce A. Wilson, M.Ed., M.S.L.S.

          Reference Librarian, W.Va. State Law Library

          304-558-2607 (direct dial: 304-340-3980)

          FAX: 304-558-3673

        • John Davis
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
            Hi,

            >Although he never told it to any of his
            >children until they were grown up, he found that two of them had the
            >same recurring dream.

            I didn't know that. Can you recall the source for the fact?

            John

            The Elvish form of the name, Atlante, is something of a pun. In Greek,
            'Atlantis' means 'the Uplifted' or 'the Exaulted.' The Elvish
            soundalike means just the reverse.

            JRRT had a lifetime recurring nightmare of a huge tsunami rising up and
            drowning all the lands. Although he never told it to any of his
            children until they were grown up, he found that two of them had the
            same recurring dream.

            Bruce A. Wilson, M.Ed., M.S.L.S.

            Reference Librarian, W.Va. State Law Library

            304-558-2607 (direct dial: 304-340-3980)

            FAX: 304-558-3673

            The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms
            of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure
            in heart. ~Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green
          • Matt
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
              Some sort of ancestral memory encoded in the DNA?

              In the Akallabeth, we see more well known myths being referenced, like
              Atlantis and Avalon.

              Perhaps too, the reference to Men seeing the Numenoreans as gods is
              his explanation for polytheism among many of the peoples of the world.

              Matt West

              --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson, Bruce"