Worlds greatest Elves

  • REN
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007
      Tolkien Discussions

      Speaking of Dobby, I cried when he died

      Ren

      Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)

      1a.

      Worlds greatest Elves From: Peter Chapman

      1b.

      Re: Worlds greatest Elves From: Jack

      Messages

      1a.

      Worlds greatest Elves

      Posted by: "Peter Chapman" hawkworks@...   lordofhawks

      Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:00 pm (PST)

      Just switched on the TV to watch "Worlds greatest Elves"

      No Orlando, Hugo, Liv or Cate. And no Dobby or Kreacher either.

      Just a load of guys in glittery costumes with hair Brylcreemed back, singing Rock'n'Roll & Blues standards.

      L-o-H
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      ;-)
      It DEFINITELY said "Elves" in my TV guide!

      1b.

      Re: Worlds greatest Elves

      Posted by: "Jack" jack@...   jackwhittaker2000

      Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:16 pm (PST)

      I hope you enjoyed the show.

      _____

[...]

      Popular Y! Groups

      Is your group one?

      Check it out and

      see.

      Yahoo! Groups

      Your one stop

      for beauty & fashion

      tips and advice.

      Yahoo! Groups

      Get info and support

      on Samsung HDTVs

      and devices.

      Need to Reply?

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007

        It’s interesting how Dobby the house elf (from JK Rowling’s Harry Potter series if anyone has missed the reference) is unlike Tolkien’s elves in just about every respect that I can think of.

        Posted by: "Peter Chapman" hawkworks@ntlworld. com   lordofhawks

[...]

        Posted by: "Jack" jack@telaservices. co.uk   jackwhittaker2000

        Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:16 pm (PST)

        I hope you enjoyed the show.

        _____

[...]

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/TolkienDis cussions

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
          Please give spoiler warnings for this kind of stuff! I am not reading
          the books, I am following the movies, so I am not as up to date as
          some of you Harry Potter fans are.

          Thanks,

          Matt West

          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "REN" <ren@...> wrote:

          > Speaking of Dobby, I cried when he died
          >

          > Ren
          >

          > Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)
          >
          > 1a.
          >
          > Worlds greatest Elves From: Peter Chapman
          >
          > 1b.
          >
          > Re: Worlds greatest Elves From: Jack

          N3NwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNkbXNn
          > BHNsawNhdHBjBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-?xm=1&m=p&tidx=1> View All Topics |

          BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNs
          > awNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-> Create New Topic
          >
          > Messages
          >
          > 1a.

          ycTYxN2I3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0l

          <mailto:TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com?Subject=%20Re%3AWorlds%20greatest
          > %20Elves> Reply to group |

          BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0lkAzE4Mzk4

          BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-?act=reply&messageNum=18398>

          3YTVvZDYwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0l

          kAzE4Mzk4BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDMEdHBjSWQDMTgzOTg->
          > Messages in this topic (2)
          >
          > 1b.

          yajNhc2d2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0l

          <mailto:TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Worlds%20great
          > est%20Elves> Reply to group |

          BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0lkAzE4Mzk5

          BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-?act=reply&messageNum=18399>

          3Z21nNWxiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0l

          kAzE4Mzk5BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDMEdHBjSWQDMTgzOTg->
          > Messages in this topic (2)

          zk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3Zna
          > HAEc3RpbWUDMTE5MTE0NTQ0Mw--> Visit Your Group
          >
          > Popular Y! Groups

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12jh3u5la/M=493064.11127061.11695037.8674578/D=

          groups/S=1705019844:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1191152643/A=4763761/R=0/SIG=11ou7otip/*h
          > ttp:/advision.webevents.yahoo.com/bestofyahoogroups/> Is your group one?
          >
          > Check it out and
          >
          > see.
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12j3f1lk2/M=493064.11135489.11710475.8674578/D=

          groups/S=1705019844:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1191152643/A=4776345/R=0/SIG=11neles1v/*h
          > ttp:/advision.webevents.yahoo.com/beautyandfashion/> Your one stop
          >
          > for beauty & fashion
          >
          > tips and advice.
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12jeioi4r/M=493064.10972170.11554072.8674578/D=

          groups/S=1705019844:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1191152643/A=4706131/R=0/SIG=11f8fj6tf/*h
          > ttp:/tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/samsunghd/> Get info and support
          >
          > on Samsung HDTVs
          >
          > and devices.
          >
          > Need to Reply?
          >
          > Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in
          the Daily
          > Digest.

          BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xr
          > A250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE5MTE0NTQ0Mw--> Create New Topic |

          zk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwB
          > HN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-> Visit Your Group on the Web

          MzRmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIE
          > c2xrA21zZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTE5MTE0NTQ0Mw--> Messages |

          jBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2x
          > rA2ZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-> Files |

          ZrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2
          > xrA3Bob3QEc3RpbWUDMTE5MTE0NTQ0Mw--> Photos |

          5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2x
          > rA2xpbmtzBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-> Links |

          OWQxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIE
          > c2xrA2RiBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-> Database |

          wBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2x
          > rA3BvbGxzBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-> Polls |

          bGphBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIE
          > c2xrA2NhbARzdGltZQMxMTkxMTQ1NDQz> Calendar

          DkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMTkxMTQ1NDQz>

          <mailto:TolkienDiscussions-normal@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%

          <mailto:TolkienDiscussions-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Deli
          > very%20Format:%20Traditional> Switch format to Traditional

          zk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZ

          <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359715/grpId=7749098/grpspId=1705019844/msgId
          > =2015/stime=1191145443/nc1=4763761/nc2=4776345/nc3=4706131>

        • Matt
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            I did not have much interest in Elves and mythical beings until
            Tolkien. He really takes them seriously. He does not make them
            cartoony the way most fairy tales do. I love the nobility and grandeur
            of the Elves in Tolkien's work. I like that they have qualities that
            we can aspire to rather than being a joke or some sort of sub-human.

            Matt West

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              I don't have much use for elves and fairies outside of Tolkien's world or at least people who follow that similar model. Norse style stuff.

              Rob
            • John Davis
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                I think I'd consider Tolkien's elves (as opposed to his dwarves) to have
                more Celtic than Norse influence. Specifically Irish.

                John