RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Worlds greatest Elves

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2007

      I hope you enjoyed the show…

      From: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com [mailto: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Peter Chapman
      Sent: 29 September 2007 19:53
      To: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com ; lord_of_the_rings_87@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TolkienDiscussions] Worlds greatest Elves

      Just switched on the TV to watch "Worlds greatest Elves"

      No Orlando, Hugo, Liv or Cate. And no Dobby or Kreacher either.

      Just a load of guys in glittery costumes with hair Brylcreemed back, singing Rock'n'Roll & Blues standards.

      L-o-H

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      ;-)

      It DEFINITELY said "Elves" in my TV guide!

    • REN
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007
        Tolkien Discussions

        Speaking of Dobby, I cried when he died

        Ren

        Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)

        1a.

        Worlds greatest Elves From: Peter Chapman

        1b.

        Re: Worlds greatest Elves From: Jack

        Messages

        1a.

        Worlds greatest Elves

        Posted by: "Peter Chapman" hawkworks@...   lordofhawks

        Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:00 pm (PST)

[...]

        Posted by: "Jack" jack@...   jackwhittaker2000

        Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:16 pm (PST)

        I hope you enjoyed the show.

        _____

[...]

        Popular Y! Groups

        Is your group one?

        Check it out and

        see.

        Yahoo! Groups

        Your one stop

        for beauty & fashion

        tips and advice.

        Yahoo! Groups

        Get info and support

        on Samsung HDTVs

        and devices.

        Need to Reply?

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007

          It’s interesting how Dobby the house elf (from JK Rowling’s Harry Potter series if anyone has missed the reference) is unlike Tolkien’s elves in just about every respect that I can think of.

          Worlds greatest Elves From: Peter Chapman

          1b.

          Re: Worlds greatest Elves From: Jack

          Messages

          1a.

          Worlds greatest Elves

          Posted by: "Peter Chapman" hawkworks@ntlworld. com   lordofhawks

          Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:00 pm (PST)

[...]

          Posted by: "Jack" jack@telaservices. co.uk   jackwhittaker2000

          Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:16 pm (PST)

          I hope you enjoyed the show.

          _____

[...]

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/TolkienDis cussions

        • Matt
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            Please give spoiler warnings for this kind of stuff! I am not reading
            the books, I am following the movies, so I am not as up to date as
            some of you Harry Potter fans are.

            Thanks,

            Matt West

            --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "REN" <ren@...> wrote:

            > Speaking of Dobby, I cried when he died
            >

            > Ren
            >

            > Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)
            >
            > 1a.
            >
            > Worlds greatest Elves From: Peter Chapman
            >
            > 1b.
            >
            > Re: Worlds greatest Elves From: Jack

            N3NwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNkbXNn
            > BHNsawNhdHBjBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-?xm=1&m=p&tidx=1> View All Topics |

            BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNs
            > awNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-> Create New Topic
            >
            > Messages
            >
            > 1a.

            ycTYxN2I3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0l

            <mailto:TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com?Subject=%20Re%3AWorlds%20greatest
            > %20Elves> Reply to group |

            BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0lkAzE4Mzk4

            BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-?act=reply&messageNum=18398>

            3YTVvZDYwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0l

            kAzE4Mzk4BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDMEdHBjSWQDMTgzOTg->
            > Messages in this topic (2)
            >
            > 1b.

            yajNhc2d2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0l

            <mailto:TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Worlds%20great
            > est%20Elves> Reply to group |

            BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0lkAzE4Mzk5

            BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-?act=reply&messageNum=18399>

            3Z21nNWxiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BG1zZ0l

            kAzE4Mzk5BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDMEdHBjSWQDMTgzOTg->
            > Messages in this topic (2)

            zk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3Zna
            > HAEc3RpbWUDMTE5MTE0NTQ0Mw--> Visit Your Group
            >
            > Popular Y! Groups

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12jh3u5la/M=493064.11127061.11695037.8674578/D=

            groups/S=1705019844:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1191152643/A=4763761/R=0/SIG=11ou7otip/*h
            > ttp:/advision.webevents.yahoo.com/bestofyahoogroups/> Is your group one?
            >
            > Check it out and
            >
            > see.
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12j3f1lk2/M=493064.11135489.11710475.8674578/D=

            groups/S=1705019844:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1191152643/A=4776345/R=0/SIG=11neles1v/*h
            > ttp:/advision.webevents.yahoo.com/beautyandfashion/> Your one stop
            >
            > for beauty & fashion
            >
            > tips and advice.
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12jeioi4r/M=493064.10972170.11554072.8674578/D=

            groups/S=1705019844:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1191152643/A=4706131/R=0/SIG=11f8fj6tf/*h
            > ttp:/tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/samsunghd/> Get info and support
            >
            > on Samsung HDTVs
            >
            > and devices.
            >
            > Need to Reply?
            >
            > Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in
            the Daily
            > Digest.

            BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xr
            > A250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE5MTE0NTQ0Mw--> Create New Topic |

            zk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwB
            > HN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-> Visit Your Group on the Web

            MzRmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIE
            > c2xrA21zZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTE5MTE0NTQ0Mw--> Messages |

            jBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2x
            > rA2ZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-> Files |

            ZrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2
            > xrA3Bob3QEc3RpbWUDMTE5MTE0NTQ0Mw--> Photos |

            5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2x
            > rA2xpbmtzBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-> Links |

            OWQxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIE
            > c2xrA2RiBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-> Database |

            wBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2x
            > rA3BvbGxzBHN0aW1lAzExOTExNDU0NDM-> Polls |

            bGphBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIE
            > c2xrA2NhbARzdGltZQMxMTkxMTQ1NDQz> Calendar

            DkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMTkxMTQ1NDQz>

            <mailto:TolkienDiscussions-normal@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%

            <mailto:TolkienDiscussions-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Deli
            > very%20Format:%20Traditional> Switch format to Traditional

            zk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzc3NDkwOTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE5ODQ0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZ

            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359715/grpId=7749098/grpspId=1705019844/msgId
            > =2015/stime=1191145443/nc1=4763761/nc2=4776345/nc3=4706131>

          • Matt
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              I did not have much interest in Elves and mythical beings until
              Tolkien. He really takes them seriously. He does not make them
              cartoony the way most fairy tales do. I love the nobility and grandeur
              of the Elves in Tolkien's work. I like that they have qualities that
              we can aspire to rather than being a joke or some sort of sub-human.

              Matt West

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                I don't have much use for elves and fairies outside of Tolkien's world or at least people who follow that similar model. Norse style stuff.

                Rob
              • John Davis
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                  I think I'd consider Tolkien's elves (as opposed to his dwarves) to have
                  more Celtic than Norse influence. Specifically Irish.

                  John