Galadriel, was Re: Chapter XXIV. Of the Voyage of Earendil and the War of Wrath -

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2007

      According to JRRT, in his notes on “Namarie” in THE ROAD GOES EVER ON, Galadriel was the last of the leaders of the rebellion to have survived.  The followers were pardoned, but the leaders were not.  It was only after the fall of Sauron, because of her constantly working to thwart him, and most of all for resisting the lure of the One Ring, she was finally pardoned.

      Bruce A. Wilson, M.Ed., M.S.L.S.

      Reference Librarian, W.Va. State Law Library

      304-558-2607 (direct dial: 304-340-3980)

      FAX: 304-558-3673

    • Matt
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 26, 2007
        Geez, that sure wasn't made clear in The Silmarillion. It sounds like
        ALL the Noldor are pardoned at the end of this chapter. I don't recall
        any exceptions. Maybe this detail was something that he planned to add
        to the Sil, but never got around to it before his death. For whatever
        reason, CT chose to ignore this bit of information when he assembled
        the Sil.

        Matt West

        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson, Bruce"