Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Why Bloom is an awful Legolas (opinion)

  • Amalee
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 28, 2007
      well said Kathy. I loved Orlando in the role of Legolas and can't imagine anyone else, playing him.

      Amalee

      Kathy Main <arnor3@...> wrote:
      I love Orlando Bloom as Legolas. I am personally a Haldir fan, but Orlando provided some nice eye candy too. Sorry to seem shallow, but I'm not just a fan because of the good looking elves. They just add to the already wonderrul story. hugs,Kathy

      Peter Chapman <hawkworks@ntlworld. com> wrote:
      Attempt 2 - Computer crashed for no reason on attempt 1 - lucky they don't make cars! Also, you'd have to learn to drive again each time you had a new one!

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ __

      In other words he's a "star" rather than a character actor. Like Tom Cruise except Orlando isn't an a'hole - which doesn't mean I don't enjoy Tom's films.

      But as LotR has a heavy preponderance of character actors, it doesn't hurt to have a star in it. And, like a bottle of gin in a truckfull of beer, it's "something for the ladies".

      But as to Orlando's character not fitting, well, the book Legolas doesn't actually have one - he's one of Tolkein's weakest literary creations. I think Orlando did a sterling job!

      L-o-H
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007
        I couldn't agree more.*g*
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007

          I hadn’t seen The Matrix when I saw LOTR at the cinema, so I didn’t have that problem.  I had not seen many of the actors before – except for Gandalf and Saruman, of course.  And they have both been in LOTS of things.

          I wonder if your perception of Weaving as Elrond was coloured by a single major role as Agent Smith?  Going in the other direction, I didn’t see Elrond wearing sunglasses and a suit when I did eventually see The Matrix.  All these people are only actors – and there is no shortage of actors out there

          Regards

          Jack

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 3, 2007

            Galadriel seems, to me, more attached to her realm than Elrond to
            his. Do you agree?

            Thoughts.

            Yeah.  Galadriel came to M-E to establish a kingdom of her own.  Elrond's realm was originally just a safe haven to regroup from Sauron's forces.

          • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 4, 2007
              > Yes, that's pretty much it. And because I envisioned Elrond as more
              > ephemeral and Weaving seems, physically, a lot "solid" and down to earth.

              I didn't think I was going to step into this conversation because I really don't
              have much interest in the movies. However, from the books (Sil, LotR), Elrond is
              a favourite character. I was worried that they would miscast him and make him
              too Elvish. Elrond has mixed parentage, so I envision him as having the charisma
              and bearing of an Elve, but some of the ruggedness of humans. Hugo Weaving has
              all those qualities and pulls off the character far better than anything that I
              ever imagined. Kudos to Weaving and to the casting director!

              (back to my books ...)

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 4, 2007
                My sense of Elrond is that he is longing for a time that is no longer. He was
                born late in the First Age and so has not experienced the bliss of the early
                days. He was born in a time of war, after the fall of all the great Elven
                Kingdoms (as we will see shortly in our discussion of The Silmarillion). He has
                journeyed to Valinor where he chose the fate of the Elves over the fate of Men.
                His parents are lost to him when he decides to remain in Middle-earth after the
                War of Wrath. Curious that he would make such a choice considering he has known
                only suffering in Middle-earth and has briefly experienced the bliss of Valinor.
                I guess such bliss was not his "cup of tea".

                Perhaps he remained in Middle-earth with the hope that the glory days of the
                past would return to Middle-earth after the War of Wrath and the banishment of
                Melkor. Perhaps he wanted to establish a new Elven Kingdom. I presume that is
                why Galadriel chose to remain in Middle-earth--to establish a new Elven Kingdom.
                Despite all the suffering that they had experienced in Middle-earth, it was
                their home.

                By the time of LotR, late in the Third Age, Elrond realizes that the time of the
                Elves is gone and that the great Kingdom he wished to make will never happen.
                Perhaps that is why he seems to be longing for the West, while lingering in
                Middle-earth knowing that he still has a part to play.

                Matt West

                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 4, 2007
                  For some of us, the first time we saw Hugo Weaving was in "The Adventures of
                  Priscilla, Queen of the Desert", where he plays a cross dressing cabaret dancer!
                  Imagine the leap from that to Mr. Smith to Elrond!

                  http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2007-06-07/movie_videodvd.php

                  Matt West

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 9, 2007
                    So you're thinking it would have been an improvement if Elrond broke into
                    his cross-dressing alter ego and ripped off his own version of "Life is a
                    Cabaret my friend".....

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 9, 2007

                      You think he’s afraid of getting typecast?

                      :o)

                      href="mailto:TolkienDiscussions%40yahoogroups.com">TolkienDiscussions@ yahoogroups. com>
                      > yahoogroups. com
                      >
                      > Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2007 5:22 PM
                      >
                      > Subject: RE: [TolkienDiscussions ] Re: Why Bloom is an awful Legolas
                      > (opinion)
                      >

                      > Was that because you had previously seen him in The Matrix?
                      >

                      > _____
                      >

                      > From: <mailto:TolkienDiscussions@ yahoogroups. com>
                      > TolkienDiscussions@ yahoogroups. com

                    • Matt
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 9, 2007
                        Heh heh!

                        I thought that Weaving was perfectly cast as Elrond. I just find that
                        every time I see him I am surprised by him being chosen for the
                        character that he plays, only to be instantly won over by his
                        incredibly diverse talents!

                        I would not have anyone else play Elrond!

                        Matt West

                        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Bellinger"