Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Why Bloom is an awful Legolas (opinion)

  • Amalee
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 28 9:54 PM
      well said Kathy. I loved Orlando in the role of Legolas and can't imagine anyone else, playing him.

      Amalee

      Kathy Main <arnor3@...> wrote:
      I love Orlando Bloom as Legolas. I am personally a Haldir fan, but Orlando provided some nice eye candy too. Sorry to seem shallow, but I'm not just a fan because of the good looking elves. They just add to the already wonderrul story. hugs,Kathy

      Peter Chapman <hawkworks@ntlworld. com> wrote:
      Attempt 2 - Computer crashed for no reason on attempt 1 - lucky they don't make cars! Also, you'd have to learn to drive again each time you had a new one!

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ __

      In other words he's a "star" rather than a character actor. Like Tom Cruise except Orlando isn't an a'hole - which doesn't mean I don't enjoy Tom's films.

      But as LotR has a heavy preponderance of character actors, it doesn't hurt to have a star in it. And, like a bottle of gin in a truckfull of beer, it's "something for the ladies".

      But as to Orlando's character not fitting, well, the book Legolas doesn't actually have one - he's one of Tolkein's weakest literary creations. I think Orlando did a sterling job!

      L-o-H
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
        Orlando Bloom gave me an excellent "man trying to be a pirate". Will
        Turner was a great and happy part for him.

        He's nice in Elizabethtown, too. Character fits him.

        But I'm sorry: Legolas??? Please!: give me Paul Bettany!

        lol!
        :^))

        G.O.
        Latin Teacher

        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Main <arnor3@...>
        wrote:

        > I love Orlando Bloom as Legolas. I am personally a Haldir fan, but
        Orlando provided some nice eye candy too. Sorry to seem shallow, but
        I'm not just a fan because of the good looking elves. They just add
        to the already wonderrul story. hugs,Kathy

        > Peter Chapman <hawkworks@...> wrote: Attempt 2 - Computer
        crashed for no reason on attempt 1 - lucky they don't make cars!
        Also, you'd have to learn to drive again each time you had a new one!

        > In other words he's a "star" rather than a character actor. Like
        Tom Cruise except Orlando isn't an a'hole - which doesn't mean I
        don't enjoy Tom's films.

        > But as LotR has a heavy preponderance of character actors, it
        doesn't hurt to have a star in it. And, like a bottle of gin in a
        truckfull of beer, it's "something for the ladies".

        > But as to Orlando's character not fitting, well, the book
        Legolas doesn't actually have one - he's one of Tolkein's weakest
        literary creations. I think Orlando did a sterling job!

        > L-o-H

        Members,

        > ---------------------------------
        > Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on
        Yahoo! TV.

      • Ruth Brown
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
          In my opinion Orlando Bloom was great as Legolas. I don't think anyone else could have done better.

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
            I'm not sure what the fuss is about Orly as Legolas? I thought he did a
            creditable job - except for the surfing down the stone stairs bit at Helm's
            Deep. He was one of the more enjoyable characters. As opposed to some like
            Denethor or when Gimli was trying to do his Groucho Marx imitations.

            > Orlando Bloom gave me an excellent "man trying to be a pirate". Will
            > Turner was a great and happy part for him.
            >
            > He's nice in Elizabethtown, too. Character fits him.
            >
            > But I'm sorry: Legolas??? Please!: give me Paul Bettany!
            >
            > lol!
            > :^))
            >
            > G.O.
            > Latin Teacher
            >

            > --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Main <arnor3@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> I love Orlando Bloom as Legolas. I am personally a Haldir fan, but
            > Orlando provided some nice eye candy too. Sorry to seem shallow, but
            > I'm not just a fan because of the good looking elves. They just add
            > to the already wonderrul story. hugs,Kathy
            >>
            >> Peter Chapman <hawkworks@...> wrote: Attempt 2 - Computer
            > crashed for no reason on attempt 1 - lucky they don't make cars!
            > Also, you'd have to learn to drive again each time you had a new one!

            >> In other words he's a "star" rather than a character actor. Like
            > Tom Cruise except Orlando isn't an a'hole - which doesn't mean I
            > don't enjoy Tom's films.
            >>
            >> But as LotR has a heavy preponderance of character actors, it
            > doesn't hurt to have a star in it. And, like a bottle of gin in a
            > truckfull of beer, it's "something for the ladies".
            >>
            >> But as to Orlando's character not fitting, well, the book
            > Legolas doesn't actually have one - he's one of Tolkein's weakest
            > literary creations. I think Orlando did a sterling job!
            >>
            >> L-o-H

          • Peter Chapman
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
              This is the result of their "classical training" - words & gestures have to be interpreted from the back of the theatre.

              L-o-H
              Denethor or when Gimli was trying to do his Groucho Marx imitations.

              > Orlando Bloom gave me an excellent "man trying to be a pirate". Will
              > Turner was a great and happy part for him.
              >
              > He's nice in Elizabethtown, too. Character fits him.
              >
              > But I'm sorry: Legolas??? Please!: give me Paul Bettany!
              >
              > lol!
              > :^))
              >
              > G.O.
              > Latin Teacher
              >

              > --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Main <arnor3@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> I love Orlando Bloom as Legolas. I am personally a Haldir fan, but
              > Orlando provided some nice eye candy too. Sorry to seem shallow, but
              > I'm not just a fan because of the good looking elves. They just add
              > to the already wonderrul story. hugs,Kathy
              >>
              >> Peter Chapman <hawkworks@...> wrote:          Attempt 2 - Computer
              > crashed for no reason on attempt 1 - lucky they don't make cars!
              > Also, you'd have to learn to drive again each time you had a new one!
              >>
              >>   _________________________________________
              >>

              >>   In other words he's a "star" rather than a character actor. Like
              > Tom Cruise except Orlando isn't an a'hole - which doesn't mean I
              > don't enjoy Tom's films.
              >>
              >>   But as LotR has a heavy preponderance of character actors, it
              > doesn't hurt to have a star in it. And, like a bottle of gin in a
              > truckfull of beer, it's "something for the ladies".
              >>
              >>   But as to Orlando's character not fitting, well, the book
              > Legolas doesn't actually have one - he's one of Tolkein's weakest
              > literary creations. I think Orlando did a sterling job!
              >>
              >>   L-o-H

            • Servo Kamen
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
                I personally think that all of the actors did a great job.  *shrug*

                SHADOWKamen. GIF WARS! http://shadowkamen.tripod.com/

                Send offlist e-mails to info_servo@...

              • Ruth Brown
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007
                  I couldn't agree more.*g*

                  Send offlist e-mails to info_servo@yahoo. com

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Any_ Discussion/
                  http://uk.groups. yahoo.com/ group/Anime_ n-Manga/
                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Worldwide_ Politics/
                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/LandoftheF ree/
                  http://uk.groups. yahoo.com/ group/Fowards/
                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/anything_ chat/
                  http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ Moderators_ Unite/
                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/doujinscan s/

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007

                    I agree

                    That goes for Orlando Bloom as well

                    Regards

                    Jack

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007
                      <<I personally think that all of the actors did a great job. *shrug*>>

                      I also. I thought Bloom looked appropriately elvish. My only problem, and
                      this was only on first glance, was Hugo Weaving. He won me over swiftly
                      enough with his acting.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007

                        Was that because you had previously seen him in The Matrix?

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007
                          Of course, there are always different opinions about everything!

                          Lets thank for this.

                          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, Servo Kamen

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007
                            Or was it because he was better in The Matrix than in TLotR? ...

                            I came to realize that Orlando Bloom was a better pirate than elf when
                            I watched the Pirates, and it happened after I had watched TLotR (...).

                            -- My opinion, my impressions.

                            Different people, different opinions, different impressions, in many
                            cases.

                            G.O.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007

                              ________________________________

                              Was that because you had previously seen him in The Matrix?

                              ________________________________

                              Yes, that's pretty much it. And because I envisioned Elrond as more
                              ephemeral and Weaving seems, physically, a lot "solid" and down to earth.

                              But he won me over. When reading I still see a different Elrond in my mind,
                              something I can't say for Aragorn or Gandalf or Eowyn, people I think nailed
                              their parts and just about stepped out of my imagination anyway!

                              I see Bilbo as the character from the Rankin-Bass animation, btw.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007
                                Why Mr. Smith, that's interesting of you to say that. Did you say that because you thought I wanted to hear you say that? Or did you say that because you wanted to hear if I thought it was interesting to say that? Or is it a part of some grand scheme to overload the matrix with existential thought that has no true answer and would cause the matrix to overload with traffic jam upon traffic jam? Yes indeed Mr. Smith. Very interesting.
                                Was that because you had previously seen him in The Matrix?

                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007
                                  No doubt Elrond is one of the most interesting characters. Maybe
                                  because his part in the story is mostly done, already.

                                  I mean, one things that made me be at awe when I read The
                                  Silmarillion was to see characters like Elrond, and Galadriel,
                                  people that appear in The L ot R, ages after, back there, living the
                                  exciting part of their lives.

                                  In the Third Age, it seems that, to Elrond, things, in a way, make
                                  no more so much difference, for he longs for his trip to the west
                                  more eagerly than for the wars against the maia ... And Melkor is
                                  defeated already.

                                  Galadriel seems, to me, more attached to her realm than Elrond to
                                  his. Do you agree?

                                  Thoughts.

                                  G.O.

                                  --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Rob"
                                  <fredwestermeyer@...> wrote:

                                  > <<My only problem, and
                                  > this was only on first glance, was Hugo Weaving. He won me over
                                  swiftly
                                  > enough with his acting.>>
                                  >
                                  > ________________________________
                                  >

                                  > Was that because you had previously seen him in The Matrix?
                                  >
                                  > ________________________________
                                  >
                                  > Yes, that's pretty much it. And because I envisioned Elrond as more
                                  > ephemeral and Weaving seems, physically, a lot "solid" and down to
                                  earth.

                                  > But he won me over. When reading I still see a different Elrond in
                                  my mind,
                                  > something I can't say for Aragorn or Gandalf or Eowyn, people I
                                  think nailed
                                  > their parts and just about stepped out of my imagination anyway!
                                  >
                                  > I see Bilbo as the character from the Rankin-Bass animation, btw.
                                  >
                                  > Rob

                                • Gustavo
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007
                                    If you allow me ... you should have less of all this stuff =^.

                                    :^)
                                    lol!

                                    G.O.

                                    --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Bellinger"
                                    <yesgaz@...> wrote:

                                    > Why Mr. Smith, that's interesting of you to say that. Did you say
                                    that because you thought I wanted to hear you say that? Or did you
                                    say that because you wanted to hear if I thought it was interesting
                                    to say that? Or is it a part of some grand scheme to overload the
                                    matrix with existential thought that has no true answer and would
                                    cause the matrix to overload with traffic jam upon traffic jam? Yes
                                    indeed Mr. Smith. Very interesting.
                                    Legolas (opinion)

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007

                                      I hadn’t seen The Matrix when I saw LOTR at the cinema, so I didn’t have that problem.  I had not seen many of the actors before – except for Gandalf and Saruman, of course.  And they have both been in LOTS of things.

                                      I wonder if your perception of Weaving as Elrond was coloured by a single major role as Agent Smith?  Going in the other direction, I didn’t see Elrond wearing sunglasses and a suit when I did eventually see The Matrix.  All these people are only actors – and there is no shortage of actors out there

                                      Regards

                                      Jack

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 3, 2007

                                        Galadriel seems, to me, more attached to her realm than Elrond to
                                        his. Do you agree?

                                        Thoughts.

                                        Yeah.  Galadriel came to M-E to establish a kingdom of her own.  Elrond's realm was originally just a safe haven to regroup from Sauron's forces.

                                      • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 4, 2007
                                          > Yes, that's pretty much it. And because I envisioned Elrond as more
                                          > ephemeral and Weaving seems, physically, a lot "solid" and down to earth.

                                          I didn't think I was going to step into this conversation because I really don't
                                          have much interest in the movies. However, from the books (Sil, LotR), Elrond is
                                          a favourite character. I was worried that they would miscast him and make him
                                          too Elvish. Elrond has mixed parentage, so I envision him as having the charisma
                                          and bearing of an Elve, but some of the ruggedness of humans. Hugo Weaving has
                                          all those qualities and pulls off the character far better than anything that I
                                          ever imagined. Kudos to Weaving and to the casting director!

                                          (back to my books ...)

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 4, 2007
                                            My sense of Elrond is that he is longing for a time that is no longer. He was
                                            born late in the First Age and so has not experienced the bliss of the early
                                            days. He was born in a time of war, after the fall of all the great Elven
                                            Kingdoms (as we will see shortly in our discussion of The Silmarillion). He has
                                            journeyed to Valinor where he chose the fate of the Elves over the fate of Men.
                                            His parents are lost to him when he decides to remain in Middle-earth after the
                                            War of Wrath. Curious that he would make such a choice considering he has known
                                            only suffering in Middle-earth and has briefly experienced the bliss of Valinor.
                                            I guess such bliss was not his "cup of tea".

                                            Perhaps he remained in Middle-earth with the hope that the glory days of the
                                            past would return to Middle-earth after the War of Wrath and the banishment of
                                            Melkor. Perhaps he wanted to establish a new Elven Kingdom. I presume that is
                                            why Galadriel chose to remain in Middle-earth--to establish a new Elven Kingdom.
                                            Despite all the suffering that they had experienced in Middle-earth, it was
                                            their home.

                                            By the time of LotR, late in the Third Age, Elrond realizes that the time of the
                                            Elves is gone and that the great Kingdom he wished to make will never happen.
                                            Perhaps that is why he seems to be longing for the West, while lingering in
                                            Middle-earth knowing that he still has a part to play.

                                            Matt West

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 4, 2007
                                              For some of us, the first time we saw Hugo Weaving was in "The Adventures of
                                              Priscilla, Queen of the Desert", where he plays a cross dressing cabaret dancer!
                                              Imagine the leap from that to Mr. Smith to Elrond!

                                              http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2007-06-07/movie_videodvd.php

                                              Matt West

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 9, 2007
                                                So you're thinking it would have been an improvement if Elrond broke into
                                                his cross-dressing alter ego and ripped off his own version of "Life is a
                                                Cabaret my friend".....

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 9, 2007

                                                  You think he’s afraid of getting typecast?

                                                  :o)

                                                  href="mailto:TolkienDiscussions%40yahoogroups.com">TolkienDiscussions@ yahoogroups. com>
                                                  > yahoogroups. com
                                                  >
                                                  > Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2007 5:22 PM
                                                  >
                                                  > Subject: RE: [TolkienDiscussions ] Re: Why Bloom is an awful Legolas
                                                  > (opinion)
                                                  >

                                                  > Was that because you had previously seen him in The Matrix?
                                                  >

                                                  > _____
                                                  >

                                                  > From: <mailto:TolkienDiscussions@ yahoogroups. com>
                                                  > TolkienDiscussions@ yahoogroups. com

                                                • Matt
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 9, 2007
                                                    Heh heh!

                                                    I thought that Weaving was perfectly cast as Elrond. I just find that
                                                    every time I see him I am surprised by him being chosen for the
                                                    character that he plays, only to be instantly won over by his
                                                    incredibly diverse talents!

                                                    I would not have anyone else play Elrond!

                                                    Matt West