Of Turin

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
      Hey everyone,

      I have posted the final part of the Tale of Turin Turambar!

      What a mess! It's like a soap opera or a Shakespearian drama at times!

      I must say, the writing near the end of this chapter was a little
      uneven and many details appear to be missing. It is a pity that CT
      didn't have access to the manuscripts that he used in BOLT2. The story
      and the details in that book are superior to how the story plays out
      in The Silmarillion. In particular, the quest to slay the dragon is
      much more dramatic and detailed in BOLT2.

      For those of you who have read both The Sil and 'Children of Hurin',
      does CoH do a better job of telling the dragon slayer quest?

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
        I just read The Children of Hurin and its amazing how much more indepth it
        is. REally cool to read.

      • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2007
          Have you read BOLT2? I am wondering if that was the source material for the
          expanded story of Turin? Certainly if you read both The Sil and BOLT2, you have
          a much more fully developed tale with more fleshed out scenes and characters.

          Matt West

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2007
            <<Have you read BOLT2? I am wondering if that was the source material for
            the
            expanded story of Turin? Certainly if you read both The Sil and BOLT2, you
            have
            a much more fully developed tale with more fleshed out scenes and
            characters.>>

            I've wondered that, also.

            I am in a bit of quandary. On the one hand I would have to say that outside
            of LotR the Books of Lost Tales are my favorite Tolkien. That's because it
            is basically The Silmarillion expanded - the tales told as actual narratives
            instead of as summaries which so much of the published Silmarillion is.

            But Turin's tale is my favorite tale in BoLT (I always read the BoLT
            material and Unfinished Tales material at the same time). So not having read
            it I surmise that the CoH would vault its way to the top spot of non-LotR
            Tolkien books.

            But I haven't read it, so I don't know! Too busy right now and I can't read
            two Tolkiens at once!

            Irrespective of all that, I personally like Tolkien's method of presenting
            elvish tales via Eriol/Aelfwine as an outsider hearing the tales. IMO that
            narrative device allowed JRR to tell these epic tales without having to make
            them a bazillion page story. Yet he abandoned this idea and then after
            writing The Hobbit and LotR he felt that all his Silmarillion material
            needed to be almost completely reworked in order to fit the changes wraught
            by publication of LotR.

            But what a simple matter it would have been to simply continue Frodo's and
            Bilbo's tales by making THEM the Aelfwine/Eriol character and be hearing the
            tales after the went west across the seas. Or even have the tales told to
            Bilbo during his years in Rivendell.

            I think Tolkien felt the tale-telling to a stranger to be too artificial,
            but given the scope of the material and the MASSIVE amount of work turning
            it into its own full-blown narrative would have entailed, I do wish he'd
            have compromised and just adapted the tale-telling motif to a post-LotR
            world.

            I just feel that the BoLT's are fuller narratives with deeper character
            interaction, etc. than what we got in The Sil. But they are also more
            incomplete. How I long for an edition that marries the fullness and the
            completeness!

            Sigh.

            I guess it is like the Maltese Falcon, the stuff dreams are made of.