Legends, Literature & Lykanthrope

  • Peter Chapman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
      Lykanthrope (people changing into animals - most often wolves), is of course, an old European legend. So also are the blood-drinking, undead Vampires.

      But Vampires have never been associated with either lykanthrope or bats - in fact the Vampire bats (from the New World) were named for the blood-drinking antics of the legendary Vampires - until Stoker brought it full circle in the late nineteenth century.

      Bram also added the appellation Dracula - in fact Dracula is actually another name for Vlad the Impaler, an unsavoury but very real character from history, previously unassociated with Vampires - Dracula actually means son of Draco.

      Odd that JRRT would draw on literature rather than legend for his inspiration for some of the Sil.

      L-o-H
    • Alkmaion
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
        As Vlad the Impaler was the son of Vlad Dracul(one of the many short
        timed princes of Valachia in the 15 century) the name has some meaning.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007

          And ancestors of our own dear Royal Family…

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
            Huh?

            Great Britain(Windsor) and the Valachian royal family?
            How come?

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007

              It is fairly complicated; all the royal families of Europe are inter-related.  For example, Queen Sophia of Spain is Prince Phillip’s first cousin; before her marriage she was Princess Sophia of Greece, and of course Phillip was born Prince Phillip of Greece (he had to renounce his Greek title when he became a British citizen, so in the brief time between his naturalization as a British citizen and his creation as Duke of Edenborough by King George, he was simply Lt. Phillip Mountbatten, RN.)

              Bruce A. Wilson, M.Ed., M.S.L.S.

              Reference Librarian, W.Va. State Law Library

              304-558-2607 (direct dial: 304-340-3980)

              FAX: 304-558-3673

            • Alkmaion
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
                You forgot that Battenberg(Mountbatten) was actually a line of the
                House Brabant(Hessen Darmstadt), which Phlip is related to through his
                mother...*smile*

                But that´s beside the point.
                We were talking about ancestors, not relatives.
                And I don´t see a connection between Vlad Tepes and the House Windsor
                in that regard.

                Alkmaion