Of Beren and Luthien - Part 1

  • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5, 2007
      Of Beren and Luthien - Part 1

      In this chapter, the dominoes begin to fall as the curse of the Noldor begins to
      bear fruit in the form of an unwitting man named Beren. The doom is upon him. He
      is able to pass Melian's girdle unhindered. Beren is the instrument by which the
      doom of Mandos is fulfilled. This chapter proves that oath swearing is something
      that should not be done lightly, because sooner or later it's going to come back
      to you and bite you in the butt. Thingol might deserve what he gets for being so
      surly and biggoted, but Finrod loses everything because of an oath given in
      friendship.

      -This is a prose version of the Lay of Luthien (found, I believe, in Book III of
      the HoME series 'The Lays of Beleriand').

      -Barahir continues to battle Melkor in Dorthonion until his company is reduced
      to 12. They withdraw to Tarn Aeluin, a hallowed lake in teh wilderness. Melkor
      cannot find them, so he sends Sauron to hunt them down.

      -One of the men, Gorlim, sneaks off to return to his home, but finds his house
      plundered and his wife, Eilinel, gone. He presumes her dead, but begins to doubt
      himself, and so continues to sneak off and return to his house alone, in secret,
      to look for her. This becomes known to Melkor. When Gorlim returns one day, he
      finds Eilinel there lamenting him for forsaking her. He calls out to her and is
      then taken by Sauron's hunters. They torture Gorlim for information about
      Barahir. They offer him a chance to be with Eilinel again if he will give up
      Barahir and his companions. He agrees to make such a bargain with Sauron. Under
      Sauron's gaze, Grolim tells all he knows.

      -Sauron admits that he was disguised as Eilinel, and that the real Eilinel is
      dead. He puts Gorlim to death, thereby sending him to be with his wife and be
      free of further service to Sauron.

      -Sauron's Orcs ambush the men before dawn and slay all but Beren, son of
      Barahir, who is away spying on the enemy. As Beren sleeps, the ghost of Gorlim
      appears to him in a dream and admits his treachery.

      -Beren returns to Tarn Aeluin and find his father dead. He swears an oath of
      revenge upon his father's grave. He then sets out in pursuit of the Orcs who are
      returning to Sauron and finds them in possession of his father's hand, still
      bearing the ring of Finrod (Felegund). Beren slays the Orc captain and escapes
      with the hand.

      -Beren wanders in the wilderness for 4 years alone, befriending only bird and
      beast. He stops eating flesh and slays only those in the service of Melkor. His
      deeds of valour are spread far and wide, even to Doriath. Melkor puts a price on
      his head equal to that on the head of Fingon, the high king of the Elves.

      -Finally, Melkor sends an army against Beren because his Orcs fear Beren and
      will not face him. Sauron commands the army. The army includes werewolves and
      fell beasts filled with evil spirits.

      -Melkor and Sauron press their attacks so strongly in Dothonion that everyone is
      forced to flee, including Beren who goes into the Ered Gorgoroth. From here he
      spies Doriath and something directs him to go down to the place where no mortal
      has trodden. Many horrors and terrors live inthe land where the powers of Melian
      and Sauron meet. He comes by paths that no one else has ever tread. He is able
      to pass through Melian's mazes as she fortold. Beren arrives in Doriath bowed
      with many years of woe and greyed from the hardships and horrors that he has
      endured.

      -In the woods of Neldoreth he comes upon Luthien, daughter of Thingol and
      Melian, at Moonrise. She is dancing on the grass beside the Esgelduin. Seeing
      her, all memory of his pain departs and he falls into an enchantment. Then he
      loses sight of her.

      -Not knowing her name, he calls her Tinuviel (Nightingale).

      -Luthien's song turns wintoer to spring and flowers spring as her feet pass.
      Beren calls to her, naming her Tinuviel. She halts and he comes to her and the
      doom falls upon her and she falls in love with him. Then she slips away from
      him. Eventually she comes to him again and they go in secret through the woods
      from Spring into Summer.

      -Another who loves Luthien betrays them to Thingol after seeing them together.
      Thingol is angry, not at all trusting mortals. He questions Luthien, but she
      will not answer his his questions until he swears not to slay or imprison him.
      She then leads Beren before Thingol and the throne of Menegroth as if he were an
      honoured guest.

      -Beren is so afraid of Thingol and the splendor of Menegroth that he is unable
      to answer Thingol's questions about his identity and purpose, so Luthien lists
      his deeds and heritage. Thingol demands that Beren answer his questions: how
      does he dare enter lands that are forbidden to him.

      -Beren finally says that fate lead him to Menegroth; he proclaims his desire to
      have Luthien for his own. Thingol says that if he had not sworn an oath to his
      daughter, Beren would now be slain. Thingol's oath has sealed the fate of his
      Kingdom and that of Nargothrond. Thingol accuses Beren of being a thrall of Melkor.

      -Beren will not accept the insults that Thingol hurls at him. he swears on
      Finrod's ring, given to his father on teh battlefield, that his house has not
      earned such names. He then shows the ring bearing the badge of the hosue of
      Finarfin.

      -Melian tells Thingol that Beren's fate is to be slain elsewhere.

      -Thingol says that no such deeds as Barahir and Beren have done would yet make
      him worthy of the hand of Luthien. he says that the only deed worthy of Luthien
      is for Beren to bring a Silmaril in his own hand from Melkor's crown. Thus
      Thingol wroughts the doom of Doriath, ensnaring it in the curse of Mandos.

      -Beren accepts the challenge as a "small price" for the hand of Luthien. He then
      sets out from Menegroth alone.

      -Melian warns Thingol that no matter the result of Beren's quest, either himself
      or Luthien are doomed, and Doriath is now within the fate of a mightier realm.

      -Luthien no nlonger sings and dances. A brooding silence falls over the kingdom
      of Thingol.

      -His travels take him to Nargothrond to seek the cousel of his father's friend.
      He passes cautiously thorugh the woods, holding aloft the ring of Finrod, asking
      to be taken to their king. Upon seeing the ring, the archers and guards bow
      before him and then lead him to Nargothrond along the only secret path.

      -Beren tells Finrod his story. Finrod is saddened because he knows that all the
      oaths, including the one sworn by the sons of Feanor, who now reside in
      Nargothrond, will lead to the ultimate destruction of Elven kind. Finrod knows
      that his kingdom and Thingol's kingdom will fall because of Thingol's naming of
      the Silmarils in desire, and because Beren has brought his quest to Nargothrond
      and before those who have sworn the most terrible of oaths.

      -Finrod's oath was to the house of Barahir, and so he must give aid to Beren in
      his quest for a Silmaril. Celegorm proclaims that should Beren find and keep a
      Silmaril, nothing will defend him from the pursuing hate of the sons of Feanor.
      Curufin speaks much the same, and from that day on, the Elves of Nargothrond are
      so fearful of war and ruin that none of them will go into battle. Instead, with
      stealth they pursue all strangers, forgetting all bonds of kinship, thus falling
      from valour and freedom.

      -Celegorm and Curufin and the people of Nargothrond turn their backs on Finrod
      and plot his death. Finrod sees this and casts down his crown and releases them
      from their oaths to him, but he holds to his own oath. Ten faithful Elves go
      with him. Orodreth, Finrod's brother, is appointed steward pending his return.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2007
        <<Thingol is angry, not at all trusting mortals.>>

        I never really thought he had a very good reason for distrusting Men so
        much. In the original tales Thingol was a bigot across the board (and a
        cheat and liar), so perhaps his hatred of Men is a leftover from that
        conception. Certainly any father feels no one is good enough for his
        daughter, but Thingol takes it further.

        BTW, the tale as told in the Lays of Beleriand is really pretty stunning.
        The imagery is amazing. Much of the wording I wish CT had "cut and pasted"
        into a prose form for The Silmarillion. There are times when it drags, but
        there is a lot of complementary stuff that would enhance the prose version.
        Just FYI in case you were on the fence about that volume of HoME!

        <<Beren will not accept the insults that Thingol hurls at him.>>

        I always loved this, that he won't take Thingol's crap!

        You know, if Beren and Luthien are dopplegangers of JRR and Edith, then I
        guess that makes Thingol the priest who raised JRR after his parents were
        dead (who wanted to keep JRR away from Edith).

        <<Celegorm and Curufin and the people of Nargothrond turn their backs on
        Finrod
        and plot his death. Finrod sees this and casts down his crown and releases
        them
        from their oaths to him, but he holds to his own oath. Ten faithful Elves go
        with him. Orodreth, Finrod's brother, is appointed steward pending his
        return.>>

        Orodreth the Weak, as he'd have been surnamed were he a real king from our
        world! Celegorm and Curufin, two of the biggest asses in Middle Earth!

        Rob
      • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2007
          Quoting Rob <fredwestermeyer@...>:

          > Celegorm and Curufin, two of the biggest asses in Middle Earth!

          And the laziest asses! What have they done since their arrival in Middle-earth
          to recover the Silmarils? Nadda! Some oath!

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2007
            >> Celegorm and Curufin, two of the biggest asses in Middle Earth!

            >And the laziest

            Yes. They are really cut from the villain cloth almost completely. They seem
            completely selfish, spoiled, and lazy. Not even willing to do most of their
            own villainy, they rely on corrupting words and getting others to do their
            dirty work. Thankfully they mostly fail! But they screw up an entire elvish
            kingdom in the process.

            Rob
          • Peter Chapman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2007
              Two kingdoms - Doriath & Nargothrond. And Celegorm manages to alienate his own dog - that takes real talent!
              L-o-H
              >> Celegorm and Curufin, two of the biggest asses in Middle Earth!

              >And the laziest

              Yes. They are really cut from the villain cloth almost completely. They seem
              completely selfish, spoiled, and lazy. Not even willing to do most of their
              own villainy, they rely on corrupting words and getting others to do their
              dirty work. Thankfully they mostly fail! But they screw up an entire elvish
              kingdom in the process.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:TolkienDiscussions-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:TolkienDiscussions-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 7, 2007
                > Quoting Rob <fredwestermeyer@...>:
                >
                >> Celegorm and Curufin, two of the biggest asses in Middle Earth!
                >
                > And the laziest asses! What have they done since their arrival in
                > Middle-earth
                > to recover the Silmarils? Nadda! Some oath!
                >
                > Matt West

                I don't think it was ever confirmed but I believe that the film Dumb and
                Dumber was based on the lives of Celegorm and Curufin. (You may substitute
                any of the Sons of Feanor if you prefer)
              • Rob
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 7, 2007
                  <<I don't think it was ever confirmed but I believe that the film Dumb and
                  Dumber was based on the lives of Celegorm and Curufin. (You may substitute
                  any of the Sons of Feanor if you prefer)>>

                  David Spade and Chris Farley as "The Brothers Feanor."

                  Don't include Maedhros, though!