Earendil

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E%C3%A4rendil

      The lack of real story by JRR about Earendil is one of my biggest
      disappointments in his canon. I really wish we had more examples of his tale
      fleshed out rather than in outline form.

      Rob
    • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
        We can see from how many times he attempted the tale between the several
        abandoned outlines in the BoLT 2 plus the sketchy tale in the Silmarillion that
        Tolkien knew this tale was very important, but he could not decide how he wanted
        to tell it. Pity in the end that he didn't figure out what he wanted to do, but
        I do like the direction of tale as it stands in the Silmarillion. Since the Sil
        was has latest attempt, one can assume that this was the direction he decided to go.

        Matt West