Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Just a couple of observations and two questions...

  • Fea
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007

      <<The most powerful Maiar from his camp, Sauron, learns all the craft he needs to
      know to become the second Dark Lord from Aule. Aule obviously had no foresight
      when he instructed his people.>>

      What does "the second Dark Lord from Aule" mean?  Its the 'from Aule' bit I don't understand.

      Fea.
    • Rob
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
        <<What does "the second Dark Lord from Aule" mean? Its the 'from Aule' bit
        I don't understand.>>

        I think he means that Sauron was a "disciple" of Aule's before going over to
        the dark side and becoming a disciple of Melkor's. Obi Wan KenAule!

        Rob
      • Pippin
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
          JRRT might have placed that phrase next to the verb, for clarity.

          How about:
          The most powerful Maiar from his camp, Sauron, learns, from Aule, all the craft he needs to know to become the second Dark Lord.

          HTH

          Pippin

        • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
            Quoting Fea <Fea@...>:

            > <<The most powerful Maiar from his camp, Sauron, learns all the craft he
            > needs to
            > know to become the second Dark Lord from Aule. Aule obviously had no
            > foresight
            > when he instructed his people.>>
            >
            > What does "the second Dark Lord from Aule" mean? Its the 'from Aule' bit I
            > don't understand.
            >
            > Fea.

            Sauron was one of Aule's Maiar before he was seduced by Melkor and became his
            right hand evil spirit. Sauron learned all of Aule's craft before joining Melkor.