Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Next week...

    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 31, 2007
      After I finish up with Narnia. I think I may try and take on the Screwfix
      Letters (sic) by CS Lewis. Its beaten me twice in the path but one of these
      times, I will come out victorious. If you thought reading the Silmarillion
      for the first time was tough....

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2007
        Hey Debbie,

        Thanks for reminding me about that! I forgot to comment on it! Why would such a
        being need sleep--and how does one define sleep for such a being. Maybe they do
        exert great engery in all of their endeavours--afterall, they do move
        continents, light stars, toss the sea, and grapple with other beings of similar
        power. I suppose expending that kind of energy might wear out a power. Maybe
        they just go unfocused for a while and regroup their energy.

        Tolkien does not give us a clue as to how these beings derive their enery. I
        presumed they fed directly off of the power of Eru's mind. But who knows! If
        they need to feast, perhaps there is some source of energy that sustains them.

        Maybe sleep was the only concept that the Elve scribes could comprehend when
        they wrote down the text after listening to the Valar tell their tales.

        Matt West

        Quoting whiteladyofrohan@...:

        > But, according to the second page of Of the Beginning of Days (page 36 in my
        >
        > Houghton Mifflin ed.) "...Tulkas slept, being weary and content..."
        >
        > ~Debbie
        >
        > In a message dated 1/31/2007 6:14:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > tea_party@... writes:
        >
        > As beings that did not require sleep, it is doubtful that
        > they would have thought about the need for a day/night cycle for the CoI.

      • Fea
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1, 2007

          <<In all likelihood, the pillars would have been bare rock towers, and the lamps
          would have been great orbs of glowing liquid light that blazed brilliantly. I
          imagine the orbs would have been hundreds, if not thousands of metres across.>>
          Thank you.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  My mind was running away with stupid ideas.  Sometimes here we call torches lamps and I just couldn't get a picture in my mind about these bloody lamps/torches.  Think of all the batteries!
        • Fea
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 1, 2007

            This is  so not fair.... I feel like a child being kept out of the loop.
            Fea.

            <<Nah! That bit with Feanor and his toadies is only setting the stage for the
            real action. The oath!! Oh the wicked oath! Tis important isn't it. The
            ships and the journey is only secondary.>>
            Gary

            <<Actually it's Feanor and the sons of Feanor that I'm most looking forward to!
            The oath! The ships! The journey! And then what happens when they get
            you-know-where! !>>

            Matt West
          • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 1, 2007
              Quoting Gary Bellinger <yesgaz@...>:

              > Nah! That bit with Feanor and his toadies is only setting the stage for the
              > real action.

              Yeah, but it is so beautifully done.

              > The oath!! Oh the wicked oath! Tis important isn't it.

              Its effects ripple through all time!

              > The
              > ships and the journey is only secondary.

              Really? I thought the whole thing was pretty cool--an incredible twist! Well, to
              each his own!

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 1, 2007
                Quoting Gary Bellinger <yesgaz@...>:

                > I'm curious. What books are you reading.

                1. The Future of Life -- E.O. Wilson
                2. The Last Billion Years: A Geological History of the Maritime Provinces of
                Canada -- Alantic Geoscience Society
                3. Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide

                I just finished reading Gilgamesh a week or so ago--oh, and a John Irving novel:
                The Fourth Hand.

                > I just finished RA Salvatore's
                > 'Icewind Trilogy'

                My wife reads RA Salvatore. I rarely read fiction. Tolkien is a huge departure
                from my normal reading habits. The only other two fiction authors I read
                consistently are John Irving and Roger Zelazny.

                > and am working my way through The Chronicles of Narnia.

                When I heard about the first movie coming out, I thought I would reread the 'The
                Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe'. Man was I disappointed. Total dreck. I gave up
                on the rest of the series and gave the movie a pass.

                I've read a few other Lewis books, but the Christian allegory is so overpowering
                that his works become tedious to me.

                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Quoting Fea <Fea@...>:

                  > <<In all likelihood, the pillars would have been bare rock towers, and the
                  > lamps
                  > would have been great orbs of glowing liquid light that blazed brilliantly.
                  > imagine the orbs would have been hundreds, if not thousands of metres
                  > across.>>
                  >
                  > Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. My mind was running away
                  > with stupid ideas. Sometimes here we call torches lamps and I just couldn't
                  > get a picture in my mind about these bloody lamps/torches. Think of all the
                  > batteries!

                  And for those of you NOT in the UK, "torches" are "flashlights".

                  LOL

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 1, 2007

                      Sorry about that Fea but I have always had some serious Feanor issues. I'll try and keep them between me and my psychiatrist until the appropriate times. ;-p)

                      Gary

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 1, 2007

                        The Oath is good

                        I vote we go back to the Oath at the end of the book

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 1, 2007

                          We’re teasing you Fea – just to keep you reading!

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 1, 2007
                            OH yeah!!  That terrible oath!  While in LotR the fate of everyone seems to revolve around the One Ring, in the Silmarillion it revolves around the Silmarils and that dreaded oath.  Good stuff coming for sure!!

                            Susan