Dinosaurs

  • whiteladyofrohan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2007
      During the marring of the Spring of Arda,"...beasts became monsters of horn and ivory and dyed the earth with blood" (thanks to Melkor).  Do you think this refers to the dinosaurs?

      ~Debbie
    • Rob
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2007
        <<During the marring of the Spring of Arda,"...beasts became monsters of
        horn and ivory and dyed the earth with blood" (thanks to Melkor). Do you
        think this refers to the dinosaurs?>>

        I wondered at this line, also. My take on it was that JRR was implying that
        before Melkor corrupted them animals lived in peace with each other and (if
        they'd been there) mankind. The lamb lying down with the lion, so to speak.
        But Melkor's corruption made them use horns and tusks against each other,
        hence covering the earth with blood.

        Perhaps all animals were herbivores before Melkor got to them!

        Rob
      • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
          With so much time elapsing between the formation of Arda and the coming of the
          firstborn, it is entirely conceivable that JRRT is offering up an explanation
          for the montrous skeletons that were found all over the globe in the century
          before Tolkien started his work. Presumably Tolkien saw the skeltons in the
          British museum. This may have been his inspiration for the beasts of Melkor in
          the early days of Arda.

          Matt West

          Quoting whiteladyofrohan@...:

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
            I wonder what plants existed before the lighting of the lamps, and I wonder how
            they grew under starlight?

            Matt West

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
              There are similar inconsistencies noted in the Judeo-Christian creation myth, i.e., if God created light on the first day but didn't create the sun or the stars until the fourth day then how was there light on the first day?  And how could there be an evening and a morning on the first day if there was no sun to begin with.  But I'm sure you already knew about all that!

              ~Debbie

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
                It might. In the "Letters", JRRT was asked if the 'fell beast' on which the Witch-King road was a pterodactyl, and he said something along the lines that if you want to think of it as one, go right ahead.

                Bruce Alan Wilson
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007

                  There are seaweeds which don’t do the ol’ photosynthesis thing.  Not sure how they manage, but I dare say something would evolve to fill the niche

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007

                    It never occurred to me, actually.

                    But then I have never seen much literal truth in Genesis

                    Regards

                    Jack

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
                      The movies sure did a great job of bringing those things to life! I
                      loved that the wing beats just send shockwaves through my subwoofer!
                      Even though they are evil I thought they were very cool........

                      Susan

                      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson, Bruce"