Where will I find Gilfanon's Tale?

  • CS
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
      Hello everyone,

      I am reading The Shaping of Middle Earth. It is the first one I am
      reading. I do have the Lost Tales and the others. But felt drawn to
      read this one first. I think I am reading out of order. If some one
      could let me know the order I should read that would be great! Any
      way, I find mentioned Gilfanon's Tale, but I can't seem to find it.
      Where will I find Gilfanon's Tale?
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006

        Hi CS

        Gilfanon was eldest of the Eldar in the Lonely Isle (Eressea); he is mentioned in Tolkien and the Great War by John Garth, which looks at JRRT’s earliest writing.  But I don’t know if the “Tale of Gilfanon” is published anywhere.

        Regards

        Jack

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2006
          I don't recall for sure, but I think Gilfanon's Tale is just an alternate way of referring to one of the Lost Tales that is ultimately told by someone else. Gilfanon was originally conceived of as the tale teller, then JRR changed his formulation.

          However, this is all very fuzzy in my mind, it is 3 a.m., so don't quote me!