RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Re:truth or especulation?: 'The Hobbit'

  • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 21, 2006
      I wonder who owns all the models (digital or otherwise) that Jackson used in
      LotR? Will New Line have access to the Smeagol character for example? Or the
      Troll set? Or Gandalf's costume? Will they get Ian Holm to play Bilbo again, or
      will he be too old to play a younger Bilbo? Will they be able to recreate the
      sets for Hobbiton? Will WETA and the other New Zealand effects and
      set/prop/costume companies want to work with another director? Will Allen Lee
      and John Howe be willing to act as conceptual artists for someone else?

      I know what you mean about X-III. It did not shine the way that X-II did. Oh
      well. Hopefully they will put that franchise to bed now.

      The new Bond is much improved by the changes that they have brought to that
      franchise, though.

      Matt West

      Quoting Rob <fredwestermeyer@...>:

      > <<While I'm sorry that Jackson won't be directing it, I think it will be
      > interesting to see another artist's 'take' on JRRT.>>
      >
      > After having seen X-Men: Last Stand I'm not so sure I can agree. I HOPE
      > whoever they get does as well as Jackson, but I sincerely doubt they will.
      >
      > Lord, all we need is a lousy "Hobbit" adaptation that is nigh unwatchable or
      > extremely "Hollywood."
      >
      > That said, if the project goes forward I hope it is good.
      >
      > Rob

    • Pippin
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 21, 2006
        > While I'm sorry that Jackson won't be directing it, I think it will be
        interesting to see another artist's 'take' on JRRT.

        I would be concerned that Jackson's focus would be on surpassing the
        special effects in his LotR. It seemed that each movie in the LotR series
        went in that direction, to the detriment of the story, and I found scenes
        in RotK, such as Legolas' acrobatics to take down an oliphaunt, were just
        silly insertions to show off the computer animation team.

        One wonders what 'love story' they'll try to pull out of The Hobbit,
        comparable to Arwen and Aragorn.

        Pippin
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 21, 2006
          <<I know what you mean about X-III. It did not shine the way that X-II did.
          Oh
          well. Hopefully they will put that franchise to bed now.>>

          That's exactly my point - X3 stinking as it did could kill what could have
          been a perfectly good film franchise.

          <<The new Bond is much improved by the changes that they have brought to
          that
          franchise, though.>>

          I would argue that this new movie is the first Bond movie that actually had
          Ian Fleming's hero in it!

          Rob
        • Gustavo
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 22, 2006
            Why, hello, tea_party! Nice to meet some other Portuguese-speaker in
            here! (...)

            G.-Clacissist,
            Rio de J.

            --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, tea_party@... wrote:

            > Here is what is being said on the Peter Jackson fan club page:
            >
            > Tuesday, September 12 2006 8:07 AM
            > News about PJs future projects...
            > - Submitted by Gab
            >
            > Here are some updates about PJ future projects.
            >
            > "The Hobbit" is now officially on MGMs production list. Some
            days ...
          • airevingiel mithrandir
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 22, 2006
              Thought this may be of interest...

              Word from a reliable source indicates that Sam Raimi has been approached to direct THE HOBBIT. Since Peter Jackson's (Middle-)earth shattering news that
              he is off the project, it seems the Spider-Man director may step into his
              place. Raimi was born on October 23rd, 1959 in Royal Oak, Michigan. His
              first big hit was 'The Evil Dead' but he really gained cult status with
              'Evil Dead II'. It is his amazing work on the Spider-Man series that has
              propelled Raimi to the mainstream. His latest film 'Spider-Man 3' is due out
              this May.

              While there is no word on Raimi accepting the invitation, it remains to be
              seen who, if anyone, will be replacing Peter Jackson!

              http://www.theoneri ng.net/perl/newsview/1/11642356 38

              Michael Regina
              Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
              PH: 514.947.5221
              http://www.TheOneRing.net
              http://www.KongisKing.net
              http://www.TheOneLion.net
              http://whatisthedavincicode.blogspot. com/

              Gustavo <g.olivieri@...> wrote:

              Why, hello, tea_party! Nice to meet some other Portuguese-speaker in
              here! (...)

              G.-Clacissist,
              Rio de J.

              --- In TolkienDiscussions@ yahoogroups. com, tea_party@.. . wrote:

              > Here is what is being said on the Peter Jackson fan club page:
              >
              > Tuesday, September 12 2006 8:07 AM
              > News about PJs future projects...
              > - Submitted by Gab
              >
              > Here are some updates about PJ future projects.
              >
              > "The Hobbit" is now officially on MGMs production list. Some
              days ...

              "Don't be afraid that your life will end,
              be afraid that it will never begin."

              ~anonymous~