RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: Earendil

  • Pippin
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
      > Usually the mark is above the E, for example F´┐Żanor. It being above the A
      in
      > Earendil's name combined with the unwieldyness of the name as a whole and
      > the way the name came INTO the created mythology/languages from outside
      > instead of being borne FROM them as almost all the others seem to be is
      what
      > prompted me to raise the matter.

      I don't think it matters which of two vowels earns the diaeresis, as
      Tolkien was using the mark to show separation from an adjacent vowel.

      As for pronunciation, I don't find 'Earendil' to be unwieldy at all. Think
      of words you know with the same number of syllables and same stress, and
      alternate between the known and 'unwieldy' until it becomes known. Again,
      keeping the vowels pure (as in Italian) and a trill on the R, the 4
      syllables will be distinct. (OK, if the trill and purity of the vowels is
      difficult, this is likely to be unwieldy.)

      Quenya r "represents a trilled r in all positions; the sound was not lost
      before consonants (as in [British] English part)" (LotR Appendix E).

      Jeremiah
      Earendil

      automatic
      Earendil

      incidental
      Earendil

      Pippin
    • Rob
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
        <<I don't think it matters which of two vowels earns the diaeresis, as
        Tolkien was using the mark to show separation from an adjacent vowel.>>

        Yep, I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if that is why Tolkien didn't
        make a big deal about it (as he did the spelling of elven, dwarves, etc.)?

        And you are are right that as I get more used to pronouncing it with 4
        syllables instead of 3 it becomes less unwieldy.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E%C3%A4rendil

          The lack of real story by JRR about Earendil is one of my biggest
          disappointments in his canon. I really wish we had more examples of his tale
          fleshed out rather than in outline form.

          Rob
        • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
            We can see from how many times he attempted the tale between the several
            abandoned outlines in the BoLT 2 plus the sketchy tale in the Silmarillion that
            Tolkien knew this tale was very important, but he could not decide how he wanted
            to tell it. Pity in the end that he didn't figure out what he wanted to do, but
            I do like the direction of tale as it stands in the Silmarillion. Since the Sil
            was has latest attempt, one can assume that this was the direction he decided to go.

            Matt West