Gone quiet

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18 7:52 AM

      It HAS gone quiet since we stopped talking about the movies and sending emails saying how much we wished we could get back to talking about the books!

    • Gustavo
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18 10:31 AM
        You see, Jack... sometimes, managing a yahoogroup is a bit like a marriage... If you
        watched Mr. & Mrs. Smith, there's a moment when she says "we can't talk" (or something
        like) and she asks the doc "what is this?..." and the doc says "Marriage..."

        (Lara Croft marries James Bond has absolutely nothing to do with Ronald T. but, well it's a
        list for Tolkien Discussions. There's one member of this list that has other lists, so as
        people to discuss anything.

        quiet, it doesn't bother me so much...

        I believe that when someone has something interesting about Tolkien to bring, this person
        will bring it. (I will.)

        It's only, the days of Peter Jackson's movies are beginning to become past, and good old
        Ronald T's work is falling again into worlds oblivion and ESPECIALLY into midia's oblivion,
        which, for someone like me, that met Tolkien before the "big-bang" of propaganda,
        through which any "idiot" would have all the opinions about 'The Lord of the Rings', felt,
        honestly in a world that had no privacy anymore, or respect for an admirable work of art
        and litterature like none of my time, in the gender.

        I admit that, in a way, I'm glad that that propagandistic "bang" is becoming past, and that
        things are kind of coming back to normal again. But that will mean that, in a way, things
        are going to get smaller again, like the day when the elves got smaller, and the last of
        them lingered, but waited heartedly for the day of going to the West...

        We're like them: we will get smaller, and other things are going to be the "bang-of-the-
        moment"

        At the moment, it's Superman... (which I ... personally don't like: give me Batman, and I'll
        have fun!...)

        One movie that people didn't pay attentiona at, at the time, was 'Reign of Fire', which I find
        particularly awfully GREAT!

        There's also another one, 'A series of unfortunate events' a production which I found really
        nice, although I did not and will not read the books.

        (People like Harry Potter, but I don't.)

        In the mean time, one may also write. I'm a writer, and have my own projects of books,
        and stories, so talking about Tolkien don't make so much silence to me, because I'm
        always doing something concerning being in a litterature universe.

        But there's also the role-plays, that may feel a bit of the need of being into Middle-earth.

        I'm about to begin one, but I will have to wait for the proper time (that is, the day I may
        buy a computer, because I write from my father's...)

        (Or from post-graduation ones, at college...)

        But Ihope we can find ways of letting new subjects on our theme to come out.

        Yours,
        as a friend

        Gustavo,

        Latin teacher
        UFRJ

        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack " <jack@...> wrote:

        > It HAS gone quiet since we stopped talking about the movies and sending
        > emails saying how much we wished we could get back to talking about the
        > books!

      • Gustavo
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18 10:56 AM
          (In the mean-time...)

          1

          By the way, I'd like to give everyone the idea of making their profile in yahoo 360 o . It's
          interesting for us to meet each other better.

          You can see mine at the id olivieri_gustavo, which is the id I use for 360 degrees

          ( http://360.yahoo.com/olivieri_gustavo )

          (and I use oliua_guga for college, and more private affairs.)

          Only an idea to make time to go by, while things are quiet, around here.

          2

          I make part of a role-play in Middle-earth. If anyone's interested, make contact with me.
          It's fun. (I got fun in the beginning. Now, I'm in the lack-of-computer problem, but, as
          soon as I have a job, as teacher at college, if things go fine, until the end of the year, I
          hope soon to solve such problem...)

          In touch,

          G.