RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Hi all! Here I am again :^)

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 7, 2006
      But nobody EVER called him 'John'--at least not more than once.
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 7, 2006

        Are you sure you aren’t confusing him with John Wayne, christened Marion Morrison?

        “Ain’t nobody calls me Marion, stranger…”

        From: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Wilson, Bruce
        But nobody EVER called him 'John'--at least not more than once.

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006
          Me too.  For summer my english teacher is making us read How to Read Like a Liturature Professor and one chapter is devoted to the fact that most books have some reference to Shakespeare.  However, Eowyn was a woman, not a man born of a c-section birth.  Still similar, though.
          ~Cindy
          Jack wrote:

          Welcome back Gustavo!

          Eowyn’s victory over the Witch King put me in mind of Shakespeare – no man born of woman can harm [Macbeth] – but [Macduff] was from my mother’s womb untimely ripped…

          Regards

          Jack

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006

              And Lady M was your prime suspect?

              From: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com [mailto: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Wilson, Bruce

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006

                I had noticed that, but  it has the same effect – the baddie is discomfited.

                Was Macbeth a baddie?  I read somewhere that he was a very progressive, benign king, possibly with a bad PR agency

                Regards

                Jack

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006
                  Are we discussing the real, historical King Macbeth of Scotland or the character by the same name in the Shakespeare play?  They are not the same person.

                  I really don't know enough about Scottish history to say one way or the other.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006
                    I suppose, although it was so long ago that I don't remember.
                      Or a certain immortal king who wound up on the bad side of a gargoyal.

                      *wonders if anyone will get that*

                      SHADOWKamen.

                      "Wilson, Bruce" <brucewilson@...> wrote:
                      Are we discussing the real, historical King Macbeth of Scotland or the character by the same name in the Shakespeare play?  They are not the same person.

                      I really don't know enough about Scottish history to say one way or the other.
                      I had noticed that, but  it has the same effect – the baddie is discomfited.
                      Was Macbeth a baddie?  I read somewhere that he was a very progressive, benign king, possibly with a bad PR agency
                      Regards
                      Jack
                      .

                      Send offlist e-mails to info_servo@... .

                      Frappr Map:
                      http://www.frappr.com/?a=myfrappr&id=1027741

                      Join my groups:

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006

                        You are watching too much TV, Kamen…

                        I’ve never heard of the program, but Google found it for me!

                        Send offlist e-mails to info_servo@yahoo. com .

                        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Any_ Discussion/
                        http://uk.groups. yahoo.com/ group/Anime_ n-Manga/
                        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Worldwide_ Politics/

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006

                          Wikipedia gives a lot of detail about the real Macbeth

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbeth_of_Scotland

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 12, 2006
                            Jalepena!!!

                            ;-)

                            Margaret

                            >From: Servo Kamen <psycho_neko_king@...>
                            >To: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Hi all! Here I am again :^)
                            >Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:11:42 -0700 (PDT)
                            >
                            >Or a certain immortal king who wound up on the bad side of a gargoyal.
                            >
                            >*wonders if anyone will get that*
                            >

                            >SHADOWKamen.
                            >
                            >"Wilson, Bruce" <brucewilson@...> wrote: Are we
                            >discussing the real, historical King Macbeth of Scotland or the character
                            >by the same name in the Shakespeare play? They are not the same person.
                            >
                            > I really don't know enough about Scottish history to say one way or the
                            >other.

                          • Servo Kamen
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 15, 2006
                              *grins*  oh yes  lol