RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Hi all! Here I am again :^)

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 7, 2006

      Welcome back Gustavo!

      Eowyn’s victory over the Witch King put me in mind of Shakespeare – no man born of woman can harm [Macbeth] – but [Macduff] was from my mother’s womb untimely ripped…

      Regards

      Jack

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 7, 2006
        But nobody EVER called him 'John'--at least not more than once.
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 7, 2006

          Are you sure you aren’t confusing him with John Wayne, christened Marion Morrison?

          “Ain’t nobody calls me Marion, stranger…”

          From: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Wilson, Bruce
          But nobody EVER called him 'John'--at least not more than once.

          His school-friends called him “John Ronald”…

          .

        • Cindy Kalita

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006
              The first time I read The Scottish Play and didn't know how it ended, when I got to the prophecy I thought that Macbeth would be killed by a woman.

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006

                And Lady M was your prime suspect?

                From: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com [mailto: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Wilson, Bruce

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006

                  I had noticed that, but  it has the same effect – the baddie is discomfited.

                  Was Macbeth a baddie?  I read somewhere that he was a very progressive, benign king, possibly with a bad PR agency

                  Regards

                  Jack

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006
                    Are we discussing the real, historical King Macbeth of Scotland or the character by the same name in the Shakespeare play?  They are not the same person.

                    I really don't know enough about Scottish history to say one way or the other.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006
                      I suppose, although it was so long ago that I don't remember.
                        Or a certain immortal king who wound up on the bad side of a gargoyal.

                        *wonders if anyone will get that*

                        SHADOWKamen.

                        "Wilson, Bruce" <brucewilson@...> wrote:
                        Are we discussing the real, historical King Macbeth of Scotland or the character by the same name in the Shakespeare play?  They are not the same person.

                        I really don't know enough about Scottish history to say one way or the other.
                        I had noticed that, but  it has the same effect – the baddie is discomfited.
                        Was Macbeth a baddie?  I read somewhere that he was a very progressive, benign king, possibly with a bad PR agency
                        Regards
                        Jack
                        .

                        Send offlist e-mails to info_servo@... .

                        Frappr Map:
                        http://www.frappr.com/?a=myfrappr&id=1027741

                        Join my groups:

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006

                          You are watching too much TV, Kamen…

                          I’ve never heard of the program, but Google found it for me!

                          Send offlist e-mails to info_servo@yahoo. com .

                          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Any_ Discussion/
                          http://uk.groups. yahoo.com/ group/Anime_ n-Manga/
                          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Worldwide_ Politics/

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006

                            Wikipedia gives a lot of detail about the real Macbeth

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbeth_of_Scotland

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 12, 2006
                              Jalepena!!!

                              ;-)

                              Margaret

                              >From: Servo Kamen <psycho_neko_king@...>
                              >To: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Hi all! Here I am again :^)
                              >Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:11:42 -0700 (PDT)
                              >
                              >Or a certain immortal king who wound up on the bad side of a gargoyal.
                              >
                              >*wonders if anyone will get that*
                              >

                              >SHADOWKamen.
                              >
                              >"Wilson, Bruce" <brucewilson@...> wrote: Are we
                              >discussing the real, historical King Macbeth of Scotland or the character
                              >by the same name in the Shakespeare play? They are not the same person.
                              >
                              > I really don't know enough about Scottish history to say one way or the
                              >other.

                            • Servo Kamen
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 15, 2006
                                *grins*  oh yes  lol