Chapter 4 - Over Hil and Under Hill

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
      Storm in the Mountains

      Meeting the Great Goblin

      The Escape

      (I'm not worried about bird flu, 'cos I'm a bloke)
      Click here for jokes, cartoons, and voluptuous redheads:
      mailto:moraldepravity-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      PS I lied about the redheads...
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6 4:42 AM
        Come to think of it, is Prof T making a hobbitty joke with the chapter name
        here? Underhill - common hobbit name, also through the Misty Mountains in
        underground passages, geddit?

        Because these are big mountains, not little Shire-sized hills

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 13 10:56 AM
          I believe this to be one of the few instances of giants being
          mentioned. We see trolls and goblins, but here there are giants. Now Bilbo
          mentioning the werewyrms and such in the first chapter could easily have
          been mentioning creatures of myth, but here stone giants are throwing
          boulders about, causing an extra hazard.
          The goblin detail is great. They love the machinations of destruction
          and build great machines for killing many people at once. An allusion to
          the wars of today and the part goblins played in advancing the destruction
          of the natural world. I am not saying that this is great, but the way
          Tolkien ties Middle-Earth of ages past and our world of today is brilliant.

          Steve

          If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would
          be a merrier world.
          J. R. R. Tolkien

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 13 12:10 PM
            The company hints at stone giants during the attempted crossing of the pass
            under Caradhras

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 13 12:29 PM
              [Wilson, Bruce] Remember, JRRT was a WW I veteran. Tanks, trench
              warfare, poison gas. . .

              The goblin detail is great. They love the machinations of
              destruction
              and build great machines for killing many people at once. An allusion to

              the wars of today and the part goblins played in advancing the
              destruction
              of the natural world. I am not saying that this is great, but the way
              Tolkien ties Middle-Earth of ages past and our world of today is
              brilliant.

              Steve

              If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it
              would
              be a merrier world.
              J. R. R. Tolkien

              Science
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Scie
              nce+fiction+and+fantasy&w2=Author&w3=Author+of&w4=New+author&w5=Author+w
              eb+site&w6=Book+author&c=6&s=114&.sig=8oN83f80CeY8U5asWPwnxQ> fiction
              and fantasy Author
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Author&w1=Science+fiction+and+fanta
              sy&w2=Author&w3=Author+of&w4=New+author&w5=Author+web+site&w6=Book+autho
              r&c=6&s=114&.sig=hUds3aZvh9YKuhEw2U5VeQ> Author
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Author+of&w1=Science+fiction+and+fa
              ntasy&w2=Author&w3=Author+of&w4=New+author&w5=Author+web+site&w6=Book+au
              thor&c=6&s=114&.sig=SREeu9a_DhDbNTFl6Btx1Q> of
              New
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=New+author&w1=Science+fiction+and+f
              antasy&w2=Author&w3=Author+of&w4=New+author&w5=Author+web+site&w6=Book+a
              uthor&c=6&s=114&.sig=m4lhu8yud7SaH0bRUm02fA> author Author
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Author+web+site&w1=Science+fiction+
              and+fantasy&w2=Author&w3=Author+of&w4=New+author&w5=Author+web+site&w6=B
              ook+author&c=6&s=114&.sig=JxDGanW418pWjOo_Emov1w> web site Book
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+author&w1=Science+fiction+and+
              fantasy&w2=Author&w3=Author+of&w4=New+author&w5=Author+web+site&w6=Book+
              author&c=6&s=114&.sig=CZ0vTIZWZjIeAG6qsrjDSQ> author

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group " TolkienDiscussions
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TolkienDiscussions> " on the web.