RE: [TolkienDiscussions] hi

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 31, 2006
      Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson; followed by Blue Mars and Green Mars. The
      first book was very good; wasn't so keen on the other two.

      From: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ellen L Lienhard
      Welcome, Vlad. This list has been rather quiet recently so it is nice to
      hear from a new JRRT enthusiast. I am not familiar with the Mars trilogy
      you mention, but it is no sin to like authors other than Tolkien. I think
      most of us would put Tolkien at the top of our list of favorite fantasy
      authors and leave it at that.

      Congratulations on your excellent English; it is evident you are quite
      advanced in your studies to have tackled LOTR in your second language. Just
      curious, did you ever read it in Romanian? I believe it has been translated
      into just about any language you can think of.

      You mention that you read LOTR in vacation; just curious where you are in
      school and what you are studying.

      Sorry for all the questions, to be fair I will tell you I am an older
      American woman who first read LOTR and the Hobbit in 1959, soon after
      publication. I was a college freshman at the time. Have been reading and
      rereading ever since and struggling with the Silmarillion since it came out.

      Looking forward to hearing from you again.

      Ellen

      Doaga" <austarelations@...> wrote:
      Hi Jack (and everyone else out there),

      My name is Vlad, and I'm from Romania. You've asked me what it is that I'm
      passionate about. It's the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which I think ranks
      alongside Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy as complexity goes (if it's
      not blasphemy to mention other books and authors here). It's a nice set of
      books, and I feel the time I've spent reading the trilogy was a good
      investment in my own cultural development. I'm also interested in languages,
      so I enjoyed the fact that Tolkien tackled linguistic issues implicitly and
      explicitly (at the end of the text). It also helped me have a better
      understanding of the English language (I'm not a native speaker) - things
      such as the way usage changed with social status in historical times - the
      way Sam talked versus the way Frodo talked, for instance. And it has a
      captivating storyline as well, so it qualifies as good vacation reading too.

      Science fiction and fantasy Author Author of New author
      Author web site Dvd author

      ---------------------------------

    • John-Michael
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 23, 2007
        Hi, everyone!  I'm JM from PA.  I'm a 31 year old guy who just recently discovered Tolkien and am totally enchanted with LOTR.  I'm very interested in learning more, so I'll probably just hang out and just quietly read other's posts for a while.
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 23, 2007
          Welcome aboard!

          Right now we're mainly talking about The Silmarillion, but how it relates to LOTR always pops in.

          Rob
        • John-Michael
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 24, 2007
            Hmm... I started reading The Silmarillion late last summer and then got bogged down with student teaching and had to put it down.  Guess I'll have to start rereading...
            Right now we're mainly talking about The Silmarillion, but how it relates to LOTR always pops in.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 24, 2007
              Hey there JM, welcome to the group. As you can see were discussing the Silmarillion chapter by chapter. Hopefully, this will help you get through the Silmarillion and perhaps fill in some of the prehistory before LOTR. Might leave you with a less than favorable impression of the dwarves.
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 26, 2007
                  You can catch up quick! I've been writing the Cole's Notes version each week.
                  Just surf back through the messages!

                  Matt West

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 26, 2007
                    I've been maintaining Matt's notes in the attached txt file.  Once we're done with the reading, I plan to post the completed document to the files section of this group.

                    ~Debbie

                  • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 26, 2007
                      Hey Debbie,

                      Before you post that, can you send it back to me? I know there are several typos
                      and grammar errors in there. I type it in on my lunch hour, so there's not much
                      time for proofreading! I would also like to get the tense consistent! I seem to
                      jump back and forth between present and past tense. I'm trying to write it all
                      in present tense, but slip up occasionally--mainly because JRRT wrote it in past
                      tense!

                      Matt West

                      Quoting whiteladyofrohan@...:

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 27, 2007

                        Finally, we are given the tidbit that very little is known about the
                        time before the coming of the Elves, except what the Valar would share
                        with the Elves. This tells us that the author of these stories is
                        likely an Elve, or that an Elve is telling the story to someone else.
                        This tells us, too, that there will be a time when the Valar and the
                        Elves will be in communion. This also tells us that the story is
                        biased against Melkor. We do not have his side or his voice. We only
                        are told what the Valar want the Elves to know about Melkor. Perhaps
                        the Valar are secretly jealous of Melkor and all his strength and power.

                        Matt West”

                        JRRT in Morgoth’s Ring states that the stories in the Sil. & related documents are filtered from the Valar through the Elves and then through the Numenoreans.

                        Bruce A. Wilson

                      • Rob
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 27, 2007
                          <<JRRT in Morgoth's Ring states that the stories in the Sil. & related
                          documents are filtered from the Valar through the Elves and then through the
                          Numenoreans.

                          Bruce A. Wilson>>

                          I suspect someone is reading "Morgoth's Ring" right now...

                          Is true? Is false?

                          Rob
                        • Sara.G.Elizeh
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 22, 2007
                            Can I put a vote too? expecting LOTR I choose the Silmarilion.
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 22, 2007

                              Hi Sara

                              Can you see Polls at the bottom of the message?

                              Just click there

                              Choose wisely!

                              Can I put a vote too? expecting LOTR I choose the Silmarilion.