Introduction

  • Cynthia Weisert
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 8, 2006
      Hi,

      Thanks, Jack, for the warm welcome!

      I'll make my introduction brief (hopefully!). I am a brand-new fan to Lord of the Rings & J.R.R. Tolkien! I am a 37 year old who is finally discovering the wonderful world of Tolkien! I cannot believe that it took me all these years to do so!

      In November, one of the networks was featuring Lord of the Rings--The Two Towers. It was on every evening. Well...I got so sucked into this movie! After watching it piece-meal...I was hooked! It was such a beautiful film and so well acted. I immediately went out and bought myself & my family the entire trilogy of movies (I only wished I would have bought the extended versions!). As I was being introduced to these movies, so were my husband, 14 year old daughter and her friend, as well as my 7 year old boy...we were all quite enamoured of it :)

      So...this sparked my interest...in reading Tolkien's works. I just completed reading The Hobbit (was enchanted with it!). I am just finishing the prologue and am ready to read the first chapter of The Fellowship of the Ring. I'm excited. I hope that I will enjoy the Lord of the Rings books as much as I enjoyed the movies and The Hobbit. (I am a bit concerned about the level of difficulty...I am a good reader, and I don't think it will be a problem, but, I took a sneak peak ahead into some of Tolkien's other works, and it looked like it might be above my head...although some of that might be because I am unfamiliar with much of the story, etc.)

      So...that's basically it...oh...I live in Minnesota, work as an RN, have two kids...7 year old son (who loves fantasy, swords, horses, etc...like his mother! He truly should have been born in an earlier era!), and a 14 year old daughter, who suprised me when she and her friend loved the LotR movies as much as the rest of us. I'm not quite sure if Viggo Mortenson and Orlando Bloom had anything to do with it! ;) I've been married to my husband for going on 16 years in July. Have a ton of pets (which I won't go into here...that's another discussion group!)

      I will enjoy reading and hearing from others who enjoy Tolkien as much as I do so far.

      Take care,
      Cindy :)

    • Morjuc
      Message 49 of 49 , Dec 31, 2011
        Happy New Year everyone!

        I also am looking forward to this group reading! I am just wondering what it is that we shall be reading. And when do we start? If we do read the Silmarillion, can we still go and read the Hobbit at some later point? Because that would be fun too.
        The silmarillion has some really exciting and epic stories, (I love that middle earth was created with music) but the Hobbit and LOTR are my all-time favorites. As Treebeard says, "up sprout a little folk that are not in the old lists" and they take on a Dragon, and Sauron!

        Alyssa