Re: Legolas

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 31, 2005
      <brucewilson@m...> wrote:

      > Boromir started out arrogantly confident of Gondor's utter
      superiority... He was utterly convinced that Gondor was the West's
      only hope ....
      > He learned, however, that the world was a much more complicated
      place, and that although Gondor was important, it was just a part of
      the reistance to the Enemy. Alas, he died before he could bring that
      > knowledge back to Gondor and apply it. Had he lived, Denethor would
      > have been far more likely to listen to him than to either Faramir or
      > Gandalf.

      I think that's pretty accurately stated. I don't think, as Jack
      stated, that Boromir started out brave, succumbed to evil, then
      changed back. He's more complicated than that.

      Boromir's primary growth is from pride to a measure of humility. His
      pride (and love and fear for Gondor) were the keys to his
      temptation. But he redeemed himself in the end, as even Gandalf
      noted. He gave his life, it seems to me, primarily in friendship
      to 'the little ones'. He admitted his attempt to seize the Ring, and
      that he had 'failed'. Before his death, he saw himself and all his
      strengths and flaws clearly. May we all achieve that!

      I don't think that his inability to keep Merry & Pippin from being
      captured is a personal failure: it was a physical impossibility for
      him to win. He knew that, but fought to the death anyway. And he
      made Merry and Pippin fight -- one of the small steps that helped the
      two young hobbits grow.

      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson, Bruce"

    • Ronn! Blankenship
      Message 2 of 20 , May 17, 2009