Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: Tom Bombadil and the Ring

  • K F
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 30, 2005
      > The simple point of the matter is that neither has the other. They just
      > choose to be one with the land and the animals. Their relationship,
      however
      > it is designed, has nothing to do with ownership. And it isn't Goldberry's
      > river. She is like a shepherd who looks after it.

      I would say both have each other, and definitions of 'have' extend beyond
      ownership and possession, such as 'to hold in one's regard or affection'.

      Goldberry is described as the daughter of the river. Maybe I should have
      written 'around the river's Goldberry' instead of the other way around.

      Kurt

    • Paul Westermeyer
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
        Tolkien did discuss Tom and the ring, I believe the discussion can be found in one of his letters (a very great read, BTW, a must for any Tolkien fan:)).

        Tom is a Maia, likely the first to enter Arda. He wasn't affected because he lacked desire to dominate others.

        --
        "...How shall a man judge what to do in such times?!"
        "As he has ever judged," said Aragorn "Good and evil have not changed since yesteryear..."

        Paul Westermeyer, westermeyer@...
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2005
          But Gandalf and Sauron are Maiar, and one has put his evil into the ring,
          the other feels the urge to take it for himself.

          And Tom is "The Master" - he does dominate, within bounds which he has set
          himself. His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

          He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord
          came from Outside. "Eldest, that's what I am" he tells the hobbits. Before
          the elves went west, before the Dark Lord (Melkor aka Morgoth) - ask
          yourself, who does that leave?

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 5, 2005
            I know you think that Tom is Eru, but JRRT said that he was not, and he
            should know.

            [Wilson, Bruce]