RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Dragons née The Hobbit Chap ter 2 "Roast Mutton"

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 20, 2005
      I've never heard of "The Dragon's Visit" - can anyone quote it?

      From: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Wanda the *B*Witch

      Hi, Jack! This is what is on page 61 of “The Annotated Hobbit” on side
      note number one, which is next to the Green Dragon Inn.
      From a very early age, Tolkien had a fondness for green dragons. He wrote
      to W. H. Auden on June 7, 1955, “ I first tried to write a story when I was
      about seven. It was about a dragon. I remember nothings about it except a
      philogphilological My mother said nothing about a dragon, but pointed out
      that one could not say ‘ a green great dragon’, but had to say, ‘ a great
      green dragon’. I wondered why, and still do.” (Letters, No. 163)
      Tolkien’s poem “The Dragon’s Visit” is about a green dragon, and in some
      of his drawings the dragons are green as well (see Artist, Nos. 48,49, and
      Artist, No. 40, which includes both of the dragons in Artist plus an
      additional green one.

      This is where I read the info about his fondness for “Great Green
      Dragons”! I haven’t read The Farmer Giles of Ham book yet, notice the word
      “yet”. Hope this helps.

      Wanda the *B*Witch

      Wanda the *B*Witch and Her Merry
      Band of Hobbits,One Cranky Dwarf,and One Gaffer Angel :)
      WANDA f English
      Pronounced: WAWN-da
      Possibly means "a Wend", referring to the Slavic people who inhabited
      eastern Germany.
      WANDA (f.) - Teutonic 'wanderer'; so Rána
      Nethlhindorniel Apsenniel Elvish for Wanda Jean meanings are Slender
      Young Tree and Forgiving
      Ruby Smallburrows of Sandydowns (Hobbit)