RE: [TolkienDiscussions] The Two Towers.

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
      JRRT said that it referred to Orthanc and Minas Morgul, but the title is intentionally ambiguous. There are several pairs of towers in the book.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
        I agree - Barad Dur hardly comes into TTT at all

        From: Wilson, Bruce
        JRRT said that it referred to Orthanc and Minas Morgul, but the title is
        intentionally ambiguous. There are several pairs of towers in the book.

        This always did confuse me, especially after the movie came out.
        Which towers are the two towers?
        barad-dur and orthanc (movie style)
        minas morgul and barad-dur
        minast tirith and minas morgul/barad-dur (what I always thought it
        was, especially with that one picture by tolkien that's been used as a
        book cover. The one with a white and black tower facing each other.)

        Thanks for un-confusing me...

        Galad.

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group " TolkienDiscussions
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TolkienDiscussions> " on the web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _____

      • justkenneth
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
          Here's an article entitled "The Two Towers". If the link doesn't
          come across intact try cutting and pasting it into your browser's
          url window.

          http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/preview/GenerateContent?
          CONTENT_ITEM_ID=19079&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=124

          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:

          > I agree - Barad Dur hardly comes into TTT at all

          > From: Wilson, Bruce
          > JRRT said that it referred to Orthanc and Minas Morgul, but the
          title is
          > intentionally ambiguous. There are several pairs of towers in the
          book.

          Members,

          > _____
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >

          > * Visit your group " TolkienDiscussions
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TolkienDiscussions> " on the web.

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          Service

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
            Or try this link to the same place:
            http://snipurl.com/jdxm

            I love the implication in the photograph that Tolkien was thinking about
            Edgbaston Waterworks when he wrote about Barad Dur!

            (Snipurl lets you take a long long URL and snip it into something more
            manageable that doesn't get screwed up by email)

            hth

            From: justkenneth
            Here's an article entitled "The Two Towers". If the link doesn't
            come across intact try cutting and pasting it into your browser's
            url window.

            http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/preview/GenerateContent?
            CONTENT_ITEM_ID=19079&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=124

            --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:

            > I agree - Barad Dur hardly comes into TTT at all

            > From: Wilson, Bruce
            > JRRT said that it referred to Orthanc and Minas Morgul, but the
            title is
            > intentionally ambiguous. There are several pairs of towers in the
            book.

          • Morjuc
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
              Thanks for the links! I just finished an evening class, so I've had
              no time to take a close look yet, but I look forward to reading it
              tomorrow.
              Thanks for answering my questions, everyone. :)

              Galad