Re: [TolkienDiscussions] The Two Towers.

  • Wanda the *B*Witch
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2005
      Morjuc <araven@...> wrote:
      This always did confuse me, especially after the movie came out.
      Which towers are the two towers? barad-dur and orthanc (movie style)
      minas morgul and barad-dur,minast tirith and minas morgul/barad-dur (what I always thought it was, especially with that one picture by tolkien that's been used as a book cover. The one with a white and black tower facing each other.)
      Thanks for un-confusing me...
      Galad

      Saurman in Orthanc and Sauron in Barad-ur.
      Minas Morgul is the Witch King's Lair.
      (sister city to Minas Tirith when it was not an evil place)
      The Two Towers refers to Saurman and Sauron. When I first read LotR, I was getting confused with Sauron and Saurman.

      Wanda the *B*Witch

      Wanda the *B*Witch and Her Merry Band of Hobbits,One Cranky Dwarf,and One Gaffer Angel :)
      WANDA f English
      Pronounced: WAWN-da
      Possibly means "a Wend", referring to the Slavic people who inhabited eastern Germany.
      WANDA (f.) - Teutonic 'wanderer'; so RĂ¡na
      Nethlhindorniel Apsenniel Elvish for Wanda Jean meanings are Slender Young Tree and Forgiving
      Ruby Smallburrows of Sandydowns (Hobbit)

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
        JRRT said that it referred to Orthanc and Minas Morgul, but the title is intentionally ambiguous. There are several pairs of towers in the book.

        This always did confuse me, especially after the movie came out.
        Which towers are the two towers?
        barad-dur and orthanc (movie style)
        minas morgul and barad-dur
        minast tirith and minas morgul/barad-dur (what I always thought it
        was, especially with that one picture by tolkien that's been used as a
        book cover. The one with a white and black tower facing each other.)

        Thanks for un-confusing me...

        Galad.

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
          I agree - Barad Dur hardly comes into TTT at all

          From: Wilson, Bruce
          JRRT said that it referred to Orthanc and Minas Morgul, but the title is
          intentionally ambiguous. There are several pairs of towers in the book.

          This always did confuse me, especially after the movie came out.
          Which towers are the two towers?
          barad-dur and orthanc (movie style)
          minas morgul and barad-dur
          minast tirith and minas morgul/barad-dur (what I always thought it
          was, especially with that one picture by tolkien that's been used as a
          book cover. The one with a white and black tower facing each other.)

          Thanks for un-confusing me...

          Galad.

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group " TolkienDiscussions
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TolkienDiscussions> " on the web.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____

        • justkenneth
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
            Here's an article entitled "The Two Towers". If the link doesn't
            come across intact try cutting and pasting it into your browser's
            url window.

            http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/preview/GenerateContent?
            CONTENT_ITEM_ID=19079&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=124

            --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:

            > I agree - Barad Dur hardly comes into TTT at all

            > From: Wilson, Bruce
            > JRRT said that it referred to Orthanc and Minas Morgul, but the
            title is
            > intentionally ambiguous. There are several pairs of towers in the
            book.

            Members,

            > _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > * Visit your group " TolkienDiscussions
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TolkienDiscussions> " on the web.

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            Service

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
              Or try this link to the same place:
              http://snipurl.com/jdxm

              I love the implication in the photograph that Tolkien was thinking about
              Edgbaston Waterworks when he wrote about Barad Dur!

              (Snipurl lets you take a long long URL and snip it into something more
              manageable that doesn't get screwed up by email)

              hth

              From: justkenneth
              Here's an article entitled "The Two Towers". If the link doesn't
              come across intact try cutting and pasting it into your browser's
              url window.

              http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/preview/GenerateContent?
              CONTENT_ITEM_ID=19079&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=124

              --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:

              > I agree - Barad Dur hardly comes into TTT at all

              > From: Wilson, Bruce
              > JRRT said that it referred to Orthanc and Minas Morgul, but the
              title is
              > intentionally ambiguous. There are several pairs of towers in the
              book.

            • Morjuc
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
                Thanks for the links! I just finished an evening class, so I've had
                no time to take a close look yet, but I look forward to reading it
                tomorrow.
                Thanks for answering my questions, everyone. :)

                Galad