Is The Lord Of the Rings Christian?

  • SharitaMonique@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
      Hi All,
      I have a friend who thinks that Harry Potter & Lord Of The Rings aren't
      Christian. I have tried to explain to her that Lord Of The Rings is nothing like
      The Harry Potter Series. Tolkien was a Christian. My question is Is my friend
      right? Are my opinions wrong?
      -Sharita

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
        Tolkein was a Christian. He described LOTR as 'a profoundly Christian
        and Catholic work.' Now, there are some fundimentalist Christians who
        don't consider Roman Catholicism to be Christian at all, but that's
        another issue.

        On a related issue, Harry Potter is a Christian work. I would suggest
        reading Grainger's SEARCHING FOR GOD IN HARRY POTTER, for example.
        (Available on Amazon, if your local public library doesn't have it.)

        I have a friend who thinks that Harry Potter & Lord Of The Rings aren't
        Christian. I have tried to explain to her that Lord Of The Rings is
        nothing like
        The Harry Potter Series. Tolkien was a Christian. My question is Is
        my friend
        right? Are my opinions wrong?
        -Sharita

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group " TolkienDiscussions
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TolkienDiscussions> " on the web.

        be>

        _____

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
          Harry Potter is just a bit of fun - I don't think there is anything in there
          apart from that

          LOTR is much more complex - it's written by a devout Christian, and
          certainly his work is imbued with Christian values - good triumphing over
          evil, thou shalt not kill (pity stayed his hand), for example.

          Some people claim to detect allegories of the Christian story, although Prof
          T claims there is no such intention. (e.g. Gandalf returns from the dead to
          save humanity).

          There is an almost total absence of explicit religion in the works - the
          only "place of worship" is the hallowed spot at the top of Meneltarma.

          But if your friend thinks a book isn't worth reading if it isn't Christian,
          he is talking through his hat. Check out His Dark Materials by Philip
          Pullman - three extremely well written books, with a message whish many
          Christians will not like one little bit.

          Regards

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
            Ah, they would be heretics, of course

            From: Wilson, Bruce
            Tolkein was a Christian. He described LOTR as 'a profoundly Christian
            and Catholic work.' Now, there are some fundamentalist Christians who
            don't consider Roman Catholicism to be Christian at all, but that's
            another issue.
          • Ellen Lienhard
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
              JRRT was a devout Roman Catholic, a convert in childhood due to his mother's conversion. The books are obviously not overtly Christian and are not allegorical in any way, as he asserts in the preface, but Christian principles abound. For reference read Following Gandalf by Matthew Dickerson, available at Amazon.com.

              BTW, Jo Rowling is a member of the Church of Scotland, a Presbyterian church. His late Holiness Pope John Paul II was an outspoken admirer of the Harry Potter series, seeing it as a classic battle between the forces of good and evil in the world. Again, not overtly Christian or any sort of allegory, but underpinned with a strong moral core. I suggest anyone who thinks these books are evil or dangerous, read them with an open mind and then decide.

              Regards,
              Ellen

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
                Another good book on Christian values in LOTR is the Rev. Flemming
                Rutledge's "The Battle for Middle Earth: Tolkien's Divine Design in the
                Lord of the Rings."

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
                  We all know we're fans of Lord of the Rings, but is
                  anyone else a fan of the movie The Princess Bride?

                  This made me laugh, so I thought I'd share. It's a
                  parody crossover.

                  http://www.livejournal.com/users/mollyringwraith/44608.html

                  Naturally, I have nitpicks, as she follows the movie
                  instead of the books, but overall . . . I just sat
                  giggling while I read it.

                  Elaine

                  __________________________________
                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Ellen Lienhard
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
                    Thanks, Bruce, that is one I was not aware of.

                    Regards,
                    Ellen

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 14, 2005
                      "Do you like what you doth see...?" said the voluptuous elf-maiden as she
                      provocatively parted the folds of her robe to reveal the rounded, shadowy
                      glories within. Frito's throat was dry, though his head reeled with desire
                      and ale.

                      She slipped off the flimsy garment and strode toward the fascinated boggie
                      unashamed of her nakedness. She ran a perfect hand along his hairy toes, and
                      he helplessly watched them curl with the fierce insistent wanting of her.

                      "Let me make thee more comfortable," she whispered hoarsely, fiddling with
                      the clasps of his jerkin, loosening his sword belt with a laugh. "Touch me,
                      oh touch me," she crooned.

                      Frito's hand, as though of its own will, reached out and traced the delicate
                      swelling of her elf-breast, while the other slowly crept around her tiny,
                      flawless waist, crushing her to his barrel chest.

                      "Toes, I love hairy toes," she moaned, forcing him down on the silvered
                      carpet. Her tiny pink toes caressed the luxuriant fur of his instep while
                      Frito's nose sought out the warmth of her precious elf-navel.

                      "But I'm so small and hairy, and...and you're so beautiful," Frito
                      whimpered, slipping clumsily out of his crossed garters.

                      The elf-maiden said nothing, but only sighed deep in her throat and held him
                      more firmly to her faunlike body. "There is one thing you must do for me
                      first," she whispered into one tufted ear.

                      "Anything," sobbed Frito, growing frantic with his need. "Anything!"

                      She closed her eyes and then opened them to the ceiling. "The Ring," she
                      said. "I must have your Ring."

                      Frito's whole body tensed. "Oh no," he cried, "not that! Anything
                      but...that."

                      "I must have it," she said both tenderly and fiercely. "I must have the
                      Ring!"

                      Frito's eyes blurred with tears and confusion. "I can't," he said. "I
                      mustn't!"

                      But he knew resolve was no longer strong in him. Slowly, the elf-maiden's
                      hand inched toward the chain in his vest pocket, closer and closer it came
                      to the Ring Frito had guarded so faithfully...

                      http://amethyst-angel.com/bored_of_the_rings.html

                      (An alarm clock is a device for awakening people who don't have small
                      children)
                      Click here for jokes, cartoons, and voluptuous redheads:
                      mailto:moraldepravity-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      PS I lied about the redheads...

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 17, 2005
                        Or cats.