Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Is Tolkien everyone's favourite author?

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
      I've read about 7 or 8 of the Pern stories. Great stuff. I'd also suggest
      Robin Hobbs (The Farseer Trilogy) or R.A. Salvatore (The Legend of the Drow
      series)

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
        Thanks, Maeve. I just could not come up with it, though I read those books with great enjoyment. Now I am trying to remember who wrote the Adept series? Also loved the Brother Cadfael stories by Ellis Peters, actually Edith Pargeter. Under that name she wrote another of my favorites: The Heaven Tree Trilogy.

        Thanks again,
        Ellen

        --

        Maeve

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 7, 2005
          Tolkien is one of my favourite authors the other is Terry brooks.

          Ink

          --
          "Elen sila lumenn omentilmo"

        • Paul Ayers
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 10, 2005
            maybe h.g. wells

            Jack <jack@...> wrote:Our newest member (Hi Zepsosoldy, hope I am spelling that properly!) tells
            me that Tolkien is her favourite author, and I said of course, he's
            everyone's favourite author. But is he?

            Who else would you recommend

            ---------------------------------

          • George
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 11, 2005
              Jeez, I'm not around for a week and the board just explodes
              again...good to see.

              This is an interesting question though. To be honest, Tolkien and
              C.S. Lewis, Dickens, E.A. Poe, Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton, Ray
              Bradbury, Kurt Vonnegut would round out my favorite contemporary
              fiction writers. I really don't read much fiction though. Tolkien I
              read more than the rest because of the historical and cultural aspects
              that interest me. Most of my reading is history, philosophy and law,
              and sometimes science, though the last is becoming less and less
              prevalent.

              ~George

              --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:

              > Our newest member (Hi Zepsosoldy, hope I am spelling that properly!)
              tells
              > me that Tolkien is her favourite author, and I said of course, he's
              > everyone's favourite author. But is he?
              >
              > Who else would you recommend

            • Morjuc
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 11, 2005
                There are som any good authors, all of whom I like for different
                reasons. Tolkien would be my favorite out of fantasy, but some of my
                many other favorites include Shakespeare, Louisa May Alcott, Charles
                Dickens, Philip Pullman, Frank Herbert, C. S. Lewis and Suzanne Fisher
                Staples. Lord of the Rings is one of the few books that I can read
                over and over again, so I would say it is deffinitely high on my list
                of books.

                Alyssa

                -- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:

                > Our newest member (Hi Zepsosoldy, hope I am spelling that properly!)
                tells
                > me that Tolkien is her favourite author, and I said of course, he's
                > everyone's favourite author. But is he?
                >
                > Who else would you recommend

              • Nick Xylas

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 11, 2005
                    Philip Pullman writes very well crafted, very original fiction. If he
                    slagged off Tolkien, then the professor is in good company - Pullman's
                    masterwork (His Dark Materials) might be seen as a diatribe against God...

                    Definitely worth a read

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 11, 2005
                      <<A couple of people have mentioned Philip Pullman. I have to confess, I
                      mostly know him as "the man who slagged off Tolkien". I seem to recall he
                      said some pretty nasty things about the Professor and that rather put me off
                      his work, thinking "Well if I like Tolkien and Pullman doesn't, then I
                      probably won't like Pullman". Is this a reasonable assumption? Obviously
                      not.>>

                      Michael Moorcock also slagged off the Professor, but I like his work.

                      Pullman's work is good. The third book of his trilogy is a bit of a letdown,
                      but... whatcha gonna do? He is definitely no Tolkien or C.S. Lewis in terms
                      of religion. As a guy raised Catholic I did find his work a bit off-putting
                      in how it seems to have a little bit of hatred against Christianity, but in
                      the end I didn't care because it is a fantasy book first of all, and
                      everyone is entitled to their worldview. Tolkien's worldview influenced his
                      work and lies there underneath the fiction, so does Pullman's. You don't
                      have to agree or disagree to enjoy the stories, though.

                      So it may be worth chceking out. I suspect Pullman's anti-Tolkien comments
                      are more about Tolkien's Catholicism than about Tolkien's writing, you know?
                      That is sad, but there it is. Certainly you can't (legitimately) slag
                      Tolkien's writing talent given that he wrote one of the few books of the
                      20th century that will probably be studied in schools from this point
                      forward. I doubt you'll be able to say the same for Pullman.

                      It is still a fun trilogy of books. Though certainly more deserving of
                      fundamentalist haranguing than LOTR or Harry Potter. But fundamentalist
                      anythings aren't people worth listening to, I've found, about anything since
                      they hate anything that is outside their worldview and then feel attacked by
                      anything that doesn't stroke their worldview and they say that thing is
                      "attacking" them. Real martyr/persecution complexes. Frankly I believe that
                      exact same tendency is what lies behind Pullman's need to subtly attack
                      Tolkien. From either direction I find it sad.

                      All JMO, of course.

                      Rob
                    • Morjuc
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 12, 2005
                        I was not aware of his feelings regarding Tolkien, as I haven't really looked
                        into Pullman himself very much. I enjoy his realistic characters and the
                        imagination of his writing. Reecently I read his other series (the one beginning
                        with "The Ruby in the Smoke") which I also found good.
                        It is interesting to see how a writer's opinions are revealed (or not) in their
                        writing as hearing that he said nasty things about Tolkien really surprised me.

                        Alyssa

                        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Rob"