RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Favorite Character

  • Stanier, Alan M
    Message 1 of 80 , Oct 5, 2005
      That is a very difficult question to answer: there are so many to chhose
      form, each attractive in their own way. And I still notive different
      facets to the characters on each re-reading.

      But to answer: the one I would most like to spend time with is
      Goldberry. (Sorry, just got this thing for older women!)

      Message 80 of 80 , Oct 27, 2005
        /on soapbox

        Ok, I will chime in here as well. Being from Idaho, I was raised hunting,
        not my thing, but there wasn't much choice. To be honest, I usually had a
        paperback of some Tolkien novel with me in my backpack and got in a lot of
        peaceful reading time.
        I know a lot of hunters and I will agree with Bruce, there are a LOT
        of bowhunters out there, most hunters I know are. I own a couple of bows,
        both recurve, but just used for target practice.
        Hunting is not my hobby/sport of choice, but you must also
        understand, there are people here who also hunt for the meat to feed their
        families, and, let me tell you, I would rather eat natural meat than that
        from a processing plant. An elk, while a messy ordeal to field dress,
        provides a lot of meat.
        That said, I do not believe in trophy hunting. If a hunter wants the
        antlers, they are not getting the point of hunting and just wasting the
        life of an animal. I live next to an Indian reservation and some Indians
        (not all, I don't want to sound prejudiced) just shoot deer and elk and
        leave the bodies in prominent areas for the rest of us to see. Why? Because
        legally they can hunt all year round and with racial tensions as they are,
        this is a way of sticking it to white hunters. Just wasting the life of an
        animal to promote hate. And I know very prominent people in the tribe and
        have been made an honorary member because of my work in the community to
        ease racial tensions. It is a hard fight sometimes when this goes on. But
        it does go to prove that there are a few bad apples everywhere, you just
        have to get used to them and hope that they change in time.

        /off soapbox

        Steve

        >Most of my hunter friends are bow hunters. Besides, venison is delicious.

        Civilization degrades the many to exalt the few.
        ---Amos Bronson Alcott