Is Tolkien everyone's favourite author?

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 4, 2005
      Our newest member (Hi Zepsosoldy, hope I am spelling that properly!) tells
      me that Tolkien is her favourite author, and I said of course, he's
      everyone's favourite author. But is he?

      Who else would you recommend

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 4, 2005
        I enjoy the works of many authors and while I enjoy Tolkien
        immensely, I sometimes enjoy:

        Algernon Blackwood, Lord Dunsany, Fritz Leiber, Manly Wade Wellman,
        William Morris, E.R. Eddison, Clark Ashton Smith, Glen Cook, Sir Edward
        Bulwer Lytton. Each of these authors excels in the field and I am sure
        there are many more that I have not yet discovered.

        Take care,
        Steve

        >Our newest member (Hi Zepsosoldy, hope I am spelling that properly!) tells
        >me that Tolkien is her favourite author, and I said of course, he's
        >everyone's favourite author. But is he?
        >
        >Who else would you recommend
        >
        >:o)
        >Jack
        >

        >Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take advantage
        >of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls, Members,
        >and Calendar sections.
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >--

        Civilization degrades the many to exalt the few.
        ---Amos Bronson Alcott

      • Stanier, Alan M
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 4, 2005
          George MacDonald Fraser, Mervyn Peake, James Joyce, and Douglas Adams.

          Our newest member (Hi Zepsosoldy, hope I am spelling that
          properly!) tells
          me that Tolkien is her favourite author, and I said of course,
          he's
          everyone's favourite author. But is he?

          Who else would you recommend

          Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take
          advantage
          of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls,
          Members,

          be>

          Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
            Patrick O'Brian
            Bernard Cornwell
            (early) Tom Clancy
            Robert Heinlein
            Philip Pullman
            Terry Pratchett
            Robert Rankin
            Tom Sharpe
            Bill Bryson
            Mil Millington
            David Lodge
            Evelyn Waugh
            Frederick Forsyth
            Derek Robinson

            All authors I read and re-read

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
              Well, JRRT is very high on my list, but there are lots of others, C S Lewis for one, lots of mystery writers, led by Rex Stout, recently discovered the Sister Fidelma mysteries, author's pen name is Peter Tremayne, set in ancient Ireland and Britain. Love the Pern stories but I forgot the author's name. I think Kathryn Kurz is the author of the Camber of Culdi books. Tolkien did lead me into a lot of fantasy writers. I can think of book titles this morning, but forget the authors name, Elvenbane and Elvenblood are the first two in the series. These are elves are nothing at all like Legolas, Elrond or Galadriel.

              I do re-read LOTR every year and I do not do that for any other author, so it may be that he would be my favorite after all.

              Ellen

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
                Ellen Lienhard wrote:

                Love the Pern stories but I forgot the author's name.

                Anne McCaffery

                --

                Maeve
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
                  I've read about 7 or 8 of the Pern stories. Great stuff. I'd also suggest
                  Robin Hobbs (The Farseer Trilogy) or R.A. Salvatore (The Legend of the Drow
                  series)

                  > Love the Pern stories but I forgot the author's name.
                  >

                  > Anne McCaffery
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > Maeve

                • Ellen Lienhard
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
                    Thanks, Maeve. I just could not come up with it, though I read those books with great enjoyment. Now I am trying to remember who wrote the Adept series? Also loved the Brother Cadfael stories by Ellis Peters, actually Edith Pargeter. Under that name she wrote another of my favorites: The Heaven Tree Trilogy.

                    Thanks again,
                    Ellen

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 7, 2005
                      Tolkien is one of my favourite authors the other is Terry brooks.

                      Ink

                      --
                      "Elen sila lumenn omentilmo"

                    • Paul Ayers
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 10, 2005
                        maybe h.g. wells

                        Jack <jack@...> wrote:Our newest member (Hi Zepsosoldy, hope I am spelling that properly!) tells
                        me that Tolkien is her favourite author, and I said of course, he's
                        everyone's favourite author. But is he?

                        Who else would you recommend

                        ---------------------------------

                      • George
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 11, 2005
                          Jeez, I'm not around for a week and the board just explodes
                          again...good to see.

                          This is an interesting question though. To be honest, Tolkien and
                          C.S. Lewis, Dickens, E.A. Poe, Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton, Ray
                          Bradbury, Kurt Vonnegut would round out my favorite contemporary
                          fiction writers. I really don't read much fiction though. Tolkien I
                          read more than the rest because of the historical and cultural aspects
                          that interest me. Most of my reading is history, philosophy and law,
                          and sometimes science, though the last is becoming less and less
                          prevalent.

                          ~George

                          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:

                          > Our newest member (Hi Zepsosoldy, hope I am spelling that properly!)
                          tells
                          > me that Tolkien is her favourite author, and I said of course, he's
                          > everyone's favourite author. But is he?
                          >
                          > Who else would you recommend

                        • Morjuc
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 11, 2005
                            There are som any good authors, all of whom I like for different
                            reasons. Tolkien would be my favorite out of fantasy, but some of my
                            many other favorites include Shakespeare, Louisa May Alcott, Charles
                            Dickens, Philip Pullman, Frank Herbert, C. S. Lewis and Suzanne Fisher
                            Staples. Lord of the Rings is one of the few books that I can read
                            over and over again, so I would say it is deffinitely high on my list
                            of books.

                            Alyssa

                            -- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:

                            > Our newest member (Hi Zepsosoldy, hope I am spelling that properly!)
                            tells
                            > me that Tolkien is her favourite author, and I said of course, he's
                            > everyone's favourite author. But is he?
                            >
                            > Who else would you recommend

                          • Nick Xylas

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 11, 2005
                                Philip Pullman writes very well crafted, very original fiction. If he
                                slagged off Tolkien, then the professor is in good company - Pullman's
                                masterwork (His Dark Materials) might be seen as a diatribe against God...

                                Definitely worth a read

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 11, 2005
                                  <<A couple of people have mentioned Philip Pullman. I have to confess, I
                                  mostly know him as "the man who slagged off Tolkien". I seem to recall he
                                  said some pretty nasty things about the Professor and that rather put me off
                                  his work, thinking "Well if I like Tolkien and Pullman doesn't, then I
                                  probably won't like Pullman". Is this a reasonable assumption? Obviously
                                  not.>>

                                  Michael Moorcock also slagged off the Professor, but I like his work.

                                  Pullman's work is good. The third book of his trilogy is a bit of a letdown,
                                  but... whatcha gonna do? He is definitely no Tolkien or C.S. Lewis in terms
                                  of religion. As a guy raised Catholic I did find his work a bit off-putting
                                  in how it seems to have a little bit of hatred against Christianity, but in
                                  the end I didn't care because it is a fantasy book first of all, and
                                  everyone is entitled to their worldview. Tolkien's worldview influenced his
                                  work and lies there underneath the fiction, so does Pullman's. You don't
                                  have to agree or disagree to enjoy the stories, though.

                                  So it may be worth chceking out. I suspect Pullman's anti-Tolkien comments
                                  are more about Tolkien's Catholicism than about Tolkien's writing, you know?
                                  That is sad, but there it is. Certainly you can't (legitimately) slag
                                  Tolkien's writing talent given that he wrote one of the few books of the
                                  20th century that will probably be studied in schools from this point
                                  forward. I doubt you'll be able to say the same for Pullman.

                                  It is still a fun trilogy of books. Though certainly more deserving of
                                  fundamentalist haranguing than LOTR or Harry Potter. But fundamentalist
                                  anythings aren't people worth listening to, I've found, about anything since
                                  they hate anything that is outside their worldview and then feel attacked by
                                  anything that doesn't stroke their worldview and they say that thing is
                                  "attacking" them. Real martyr/persecution complexes. Frankly I believe that
                                  exact same tendency is what lies behind Pullman's need to subtly attack
                                  Tolkien. From either direction I find it sad.

                                  All JMO, of course.

                                  Rob
                                • Morjuc
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 12, 2005
                                    I was not aware of his feelings regarding Tolkien, as I haven't really looked
                                    into Pullman himself very much. I enjoy his realistic characters and the
                                    imagination of his writing. Reecently I read his other series (the one beginning
                                    with "The Ruby in the Smoke") which I also found good.
                                    It is interesting to see how a writer's opinions are revealed (or not) in their
                                    writing as hearing that he said nasty things about Tolkien really surprised me.

                                    Alyssa

                                    --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Rob"