OT: Mithril Awards 2005

  • Mithril Awards
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2005
      MITHRIL AWARDS 2005

      Nominations are now open for the Mithril Awards for
      Tolkien Fanfiction 2005 – and enthusiastic volunteers
      from across the fandom are sought to help in the
      running of this year’s competition!

      Nominations are invited from now until 31 October 2005
      for this year’s Mithril Awards, a competition which
      seeks to reward some of the best Tolkien fanfiction
      online. To ensure the Awards run smoothly, we are
      looking for volunteers for a variety of roles.

      The Awards Committee: Real Life commitments have
      swallowed up members of the Committee from previous
      years, creating a need for two new Committee members.
      Volunteers will need plenty of time on their hands
      between now and November, and will be involved at all
      stages of the Awards process. Good organisational
      skills, good English and critical judgment are
      important, as is an abiding love of Tolkien’s works.
      Works written by Committee members are excluded from
      the competition.

      Readers: Required to help reduce the number of works
      from those nominated to the finalists, readers will be
      looking primarily for basic quality criteria such as
      spelling and grammar in the nominated pieces. Ability
      to read quickly is paramount, as there'll be a lot to
      get through. Excellent English skills are also
      important. Knowledge of Tolkien's works is essential,
      although we don't expect anyone to be a walking
      encylopaedia of Middle-earth.

      Judges: Panels of three or more judges will read the
      finalists and grade the works to produce winners and
      runners-up in each category. Good English skills and
      knowledge of Tolkien's works are essential, as is the
      ability to read the finalist works closely and
      critically.

      Volunteers can act as readers and judges, although
      will be assigned different categories for the
      different stages of the competition. Works written by
      readers and judges will be ineligible for competition
      in the categories those volunteers are reading.

      If you can help in any way, drop us an email at
      mithrilawards@.... Please state if there is any
      category you are unwilling to read (for example slash,
      poetry, or novels). You can also volunteer by filling
      in the simple form on the website:
      http://www.mithrilawards.com/volunteer_form.html.

      For more information on the Awards process or to
      nominate a work, please visit our website,
      http://www.mithrilawards.com Information on previous
      years’ Awards can be found at
      http://www.viragene.com/tolkien.

      The Awards Committee

      The Mithril Awards are independent of any fiction
      archive, list or online community, although we welcome
      affiliation with other Tolkien sites to promote the
      awards.

      Web: http://www.mithrilawards.com/index.html
      LJ:
      http://www.livejournal.com/community/mithrilawards/
      E-mail: mithrilawards@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2005
        I was very impressed with this last year - I've always assumed that fan
        fiction involved unlikely sexual pairings, but not so...