The Professor Speaks

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 3, 2005
      American English is essentially English after having been wiped off with a
      dirty sponge.
      --J.R.R. Tolkien

    • Lish
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 3, 2005
        Too True.
        -Lish 8-)

      • George
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 4, 2005
          That's a low blow...in pompous English vernacular...
          I have seen that quote before though. Where I come from (Greater
          Providence, Rhode Island), the accent is mainly due to southern
          European immigrants twist on English. Down south (I was just in
          Savannah, GA because my girlfriend moved there to begin graduate
          school) the accent it something entirely different.

          How one speaks is something I have always found to be virtually
          irrelevant, given that grammer is correct - or at least not
          grotesquely poor.

          ~George

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 4, 2005
            Do you know where it came from? I found it in one of those Internet lists
            which didn't say in detail.

            From: George
            That's a low blow...in pompous English vernacular...
            I have seen that quote before though. Where I come from (Greater
            Providence, Rhode Island), the accent is mainly due to southern
            European immigrants twist on English. Down south (I was just in
            Savannah, GA because my girlfriend moved there to begin graduate
            school) the accent it something entirely different.

            How one speaks is something I have always found to be virtually
            irrelevant, given that grammer is correct - or at least not
            grotesquely poor.

            ~George

            --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:
            > American English is essentially English after having been wiped off
            with a
            > dirty sponge.
            > --J.R.R. Tolkien

          • George
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 5, 2005
              I'm not sure. It may have been in Letters. I know I've seen it
              before though. Possibly another message board, although this is
              really the only JRRT board I follow religiously.

              ~George

              --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:
              > Do you know where it came from? I found it in one of those Internet
              lists
              > which didn't say in detail.

              > From: George
              > That's a low blow...in pompous English vernacular...
              > I have seen that quote before though. Where I come from (Greater
              > Providence, Rhode Island), the accent is mainly due to southern
              > European immigrants twist on English. Down south (I was just in
              > Savannah, GA because my girlfriend moved there to begin graduate
              > school) the accent it something entirely different.
              >
              > How one speaks is something I have always found to be virtually
              > irrelevant, given that grammer is correct - or at least not
              > grotesquely poor.
              >

              > ~George
              >

              > --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:
              > > American English is essentially English after having been wiped off
              > with a
              > > dirty sponge.
              > > --J.R.R. Tolkien
              > >
              > > :o)
              > > Jack

            • Neal D. O'Brien
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 5, 2005
                Say what, George?

                Where I come from - the Boston area, ninety miles away from you - the
                natives have provided the local accent and the children of immigrants have
                assimilated. That's also been true in the parts of Providence where I've
                been. Are you saying that there are many immigrants in your area who speak
                English with a foreign accent, or are you saying immigrants have changed
                the way Rhode Islanders speak English? The former may be true but I find
                the latter very doubtful. I offer the example of our beloved mayor of
                Italian descent, Tom Menino, or "Mumbles," whose old Yankee accent is so
                deep that even old Yankees can only understand about half of what he says.

                It's been a while since I heard a recording of JRRT's voice, but didn't he
                speak English with a South African accent? It was not Etonian, as I recall,
                but I'm prepared to be corrected.

                Neal
                nealobrien@...

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 5, 2005
                  Of course there are different accents in Rhode Island. Just like a
                  Massachusetts accent is very different in Boston than it is say in
                  Attleboro or Fall River.

                  The immigrant twist on Rhode Island accents is what I am getting at,
                  not a foreign accent. In North Providence (my hometown) has a Rhode
                  Island accent very different than the stereotype Rhode Island accent
                  from say Warwick. North Providence, Pawtucket, Cranston, Johnston and
                  most of Providence were Italian and a few Greek neighborhoods up until
                  the 1970's or so. This is still somewhat true of the first three
                  communities. Burrillville, North Smithfield and Woonsocket have and
                  still are mostly people of French-Canadian descent. East Providence,
                  Bristol and Warren (most of the East Bay) is Portuguese. The accents
                  from these places are all very distinct. They all have the base model
                  Rhode Island accents, but the people who have lived there the past 2-4
                  generations have compounded it with other influences, created
                  individual accents in each community.

                  ~George

                  --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Neal D. O'Brien"
                  <nealobrien@s...> wrote:
                  > Say what, George?
                  >
                  > Where I come from - the Boston area, ninety miles away from you - the
                  > natives have provided the local accent and the children of
                  immigrants have
                  > assimilated. That's also been true in the parts of Providence where I've
                  > been. Are you saying that there are many immigrants in your area who
                  speak
                  > English with a foreign accent, or are you saying immigrants have changed
                  > the way Rhode Islanders speak English? The former may be true but I find
                  > the latter very doubtful. I offer the example of our beloved mayor of
                  > Italian descent, Tom Menino, or "Mumbles," whose old Yankee accent is so
                  > deep that even old Yankees can only understand about half of what he
                  says.

                  > It's been a while since I heard a recording of JRRT's voice, but
                  didn't he
                  > speak English with a South African accent? It was not Etonian, as I
                  recall,
                  > but I'm prepared to be corrected.
                  >
                  > Neal
                  > nealobrien@s...

                • George
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5, 2005
                    Where in Boston do you live? From my house to Fenway Park is only
                    about 46 miles door-door.

                    The assimilation you speak of is not entirely true though. People of
                    different ethnic groups who had foreign accents raised their children
                    in that enviroment and the children learned the basic Rhode Island
                    accent in school and in other environments creating a mixed accent.
                    As the generations go on some of one accent may begin to dissappear,
                    but this is not all that common, particularly in the Greater
                    Providence area. Assimilation is far more common in areas south of
                    the center of the state (East Greenwich, Exeter, Narragansett, North
                    and South Kingstown, etc.) where intermarriage between ethnic groups
                    (natives/1st-3rd generation) and the local populations are
                    predominently White-American Yankees.

                    <nealobrien@s...> wrote:
                    > Say what, George?
                    >
                    > Where I come from - the Boston area, ninety miles away from you - the
                    > natives have provided the local accent and the children of
                    immigrants have
                    > assimilated. That's also been true in the parts of Providence where I've
                    > been. Are you saying that there are many immigrants in your area who
                    speak
                    > English with a foreign accent, or are you saying immigrants have changed
                    > the way Rhode Islanders speak English? The former may be true but I find
                    > the latter very doubtful. I offer the example of our beloved mayor of
                    > Italian descent, Tom Menino, or "Mumbles," whose old Yankee accent is so
                    > deep that even old Yankees can only understand about half of what he
                    says.

                    > It's been a while since I heard a recording of JRRT's voice, but
                    didn't he
                    > speak English with a South African accent? It was not Etonian, as I
                    recall,
                    > but I'm prepared to be corrected.
                    >
                    > Neal
                    > nealobrien@s...

                  • Ren Cat
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 5, 2005
                      Now where did you come across this and do you really think this is something
                      he said?

                      Ren :)

                      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:
                      > American English is essentially English after having been wiped off
                      with a
                      > dirty sponge.
                      > --J.R.R. Tolkien

                    • mithrilmoon
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 5, 2005
                        Many here in America are very intelligent, learned, and well-versed.
                        I count myself as average, but I do agree that the British people
                        have a talent for articulation...see below (COMEDY)
                        Brit's Letter Of Complaint
                        To UK Cable Company
                        10-16-3

                        What follows is a superb example of British humour in A LETTER THAT
                        WAS TRULY WRITTEN AND SENT. The piece suggests two things: (1)
                        Americans and Canadians are not the only ones who get poor service
                        from their ISP, cable and/or alarm companies. (NTL is a cable
                        operator in Britain); (2) The Brits probably write the world's best
                        letters of complaint.

                        Dear Cretins:
                        I have been an NTL customer since 9th July 2001, when I signed up for
                        your four-in-one deal for cable TV, cable modem, telephone, and alarm
                        monitoring. During this three-month period I have encountered
                        inadequacy of service which I had not previously considered possible,
                        as well as ignorance and stupidity of monolithic proportions. Please
                        allow me to provide specific details, so that you can either pursue
                        your professional prerogative and seek to rectify these difficulties -
                        - or, more likely (I suspect), so that you can have some entertaining
                        reading material as you while away the working day smoking B&H and
                        drinking vendor-coffee on the bog in your office. My initial
                        installation was cancelled without warning, resulting in my spending
                        an entire Saturday sitting on my fat arse waiting for your technician
                        to arrive. When he did not arrive, I spent a further 57 minutes
                        listening to your infuriating hold music, and the even more annoying
                        Scottish robot woman telling me to look at your helpful website.
                        HOW? I alleviated the boredom by playing with my testicles for a few
                        minutes - an activity at which you are no doubt both familiar and
                        highly adept. The rescheduled installation then took place some two
                        weeks later, although the technician did forget to bring a number of
                        vital tools - such as a drill-bit, and his cerebrum. Two weeks later,
                        my cable modem had still not arrived. After 15 telephone calls over
                        four weeks my modem arrived, six weeks after I had requested it - and
                        begun to pay for it. I estimate your internet server's downtime is
                        roughly 35% - the hours between about 6 pm and midnight, Monday
                        through Friday, and most of the weekend. I am still waiting for my
                        telephone connection. I have made nine calls on my mobile to your no-
                        help line, and have been unhelpfully transferred to a variety of
                        disinterested individuals who are, it seems, also highly-skilled
                        bollock jugglers. I have been informed that a telephone line is
                        available (and someone will call me back); that I will be transferred
                        to someone who knows whether or not a telephone line is available
                        (and then been cut off); that I will be transferred to someone (and
                        then been redirected to an answering machine informing me that your
                        office is closed); that I will be transferred to someone and then
                        been redirected to the irritating Scottish robot woman. And several
                        other variations on this theme.
                        Doubtless you are no longer reading this letter, as you have at least
                        a thousand other dissatisfied customers to ignore, and also another
                        one of those crucially important testicle moments to attend to.
                        Frankly I don't care. It´s far more satisfying as a customer to voice
                        my frustrations in print than to shout them at your unending hold
                        music. Forgive me, therefore, if I continue. I thought British
                        Telecom was shit; that they had attained the holy piss-pot of god-
                        awful customer relations; and that no one, anywhere, ever, could be
                        more disinterested, less helpful or more obstructive to delivering
                        service to their customers. That´s why I chose NTL, and because,
                        well, there isn´t anyone else is there? How surprised I therefore
                        was, when I discovered to my considerable dissatisfaction and
                        disappointment what a useless shower of bastards you truly are. You
                        are sputum-filled pieces of distended rectum incompetents of the
                        highest order. BT - wankers though they are - shine like brilliant
                        beacons of success in the filthy mire of your seemingly limitless
                        inadequacy.
                        Suffice to say that I have now given up on my futile and foolhardy
                        quest to receive any kind of service from you. I suggest that you
                        cease any potential future attempts to extort payment from me for the
                        services which you have so pointedly and catastrophically failed to
                        deliver. Any such activity will be greeted initially with hilarity
                        and disbelief and will quickly be replaced by derision, and even
                        perhaps bemused rage. I enclose two small deposits, selected with
                        great care from my cat's litter tray, as an expression of my utter
                        and complete contempt for both you and your pointless company. I
                        sincerely hope that they have not become desiccated during transit --
                        they were satisfyingly moist at the time of posting, and I would feel
                        considerable Disappointment if you did not experience both their rich
                        aroma and delicate texture. Consider them the very embodiment of my
                        feelings towards NTL, and its worthless employees. Have a nice day.
                        May it be the last in your miserable short lives, you irritatingly
                        incompetent and infuriatingly unhelpful bunch of twits. May you rot
                        in Hell, Robert xxxxx.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 6, 2005
                          It was in the Letters. He was talking about an encounter with a GI during WW-II, whom he condeded was personally a nice young man once you got to know him. After he made the 'dirty sponge' remark he compared what Americans did to English, the language of Chaucer, Milton, Shakespere, Pope, etc. with what what jazz, ragtime, etc. did to the piano, an instrument made for Schubert, Beehoven and Chopin. (Mrs. T. was a pianist, you may remember.)

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 6, 2005
                            That's right!!! Thanks Bruce. Was that the guy he met in a bar or
                            something?

                            ~George

                            --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson, Bruce"

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 7, 2005
                              I haven't the book here, so I'm not sure.

                              <brucewilson@m...> wrote:
                              > It was in the Letters. He was talking about an encounter with a GI
                              during WW-II, whom he condeded was personally a nice young man once
                              you got to know him. After he made the 'dirty sponge' remark he
                              compared what Americans did to English, the language of Chaucer,
                              Milton, Shakespere, Pope, etc. with what what jazz, ragtime, etc. did
                              to the piano, an instrument made for Schubert, Beehoven and Chopin.
                              (Mrs. T. was a pianist, you may remember.)

                            • Morjuc
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 20, 2005
                                I am very late in replying to this, but I just wanted to point out
                                that some people might consider the jazz/ragtime analogy as a
                                compliment american english.

                                - Galad

                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 21, 2005
                                  Some would. But people who prefer Beethoven, Chopin, or Schubert would not.

                                  Personally, I like both.