Quiet in Here

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 7, 2005
      About a year ago someone said that they would be glad when the fuss about
      the movies died down and we could get back to discussing Tolkien...

    • George
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2005
        Hmmmmm.... Where is everybody?

        ~George
      • Christina Tellifson
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 7, 2005
          Well, I'm here... I know, it's been quite a while. Is everyone excited for Jackson's King Kong? Because after that movie's release, you know what that means... The Hobbit!

          George <greekss454@...> wrote:Hmmmmm.... Where is everybody?

          ~George

          Fantasy science fiction Science fiction books Science fiction book club Science fiction book publisher Science fiction magazine Science fiction writer

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 7, 2005
            I'm here too but have been reading some other authors such as Anne
            McCaffrey, Andre Norton, Robin Hobb, Guy Gavriel Kay and Mercedes Lackey.
            Trying to experience some outside of JRRT.

            Still, I can't wait to start moaning over the mistreatment of The Hobbit by
            PJ. I sure hope he doesn't shred too much of the opening scene when the
            dwarves all fall into Bilbo's house. And I especially hope that he doesn't
            cut out Beorn like he did Tom Bombadil claiming Beorn would just confuse
            moviegoers who are new to The Hobbit!

            > Well, I'm here... I know, it's been quite a while. Is everyone excited
            for Jackson's King Kong? Because after that movie's release, you know what
            that means... The Hobbit!

            > George <greekss454@...> wrote:Hmmmmm.... Where is everybody?
            >
            > ~George

            > Fantasy science fiction Science fiction books Science fiction book club
            Science fiction book publisher Science fiction magazine Science fiction
            writer

            > ---------------------------------

          • George
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 7, 2005
              Well, I think the Hobbit will come out looking better to the book fans
              than LoTR. It's more of a self contained story, it's much simpler and
              easy to follow. It could be very, very long though.

              Either way, I can't wait...

              ~George

              --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Bellinger"
              <yesgaz@i...> wrote:
              > I'm here too but have been reading some other authors such as Anne
              > McCaffrey, Andre Norton, Robin Hobb, Guy Gavriel Kay and Mercedes
              Lackey.
              > Trying to experience some outside of JRRT.
              >
              > Still, I can't wait to start moaning over the mistreatment of The
              Hobbit by
              > PJ. I sure hope he doesn't shred too much of the opening scene when the
              > dwarves all fall into Bilbo's house. And I especially hope that he
              doesn't
              > cut out Beorn like he did Tom Bombadil claiming Beorn would just confuse
              > moviegoers who are new to The Hobbit!

              Service.

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 7, 2005
                How about Robbie Coltrane for the part of Beorn?
                http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001059/

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 7, 2005
                    Not only that, but the story is meant to be read and visualized... it will be awesome to see all the favorite things from the book brought to life... especially Smogg. Does anyone know if PJ is going to use the same actors, Ian Holmes and Ian Mc?

                    George <greekss454@...> wrote:Well, I think the Hobbit will come out looking better to the book fans

                    <yesgaz@i...> wrote:
                    > I'm here too but have been reading some other authors such as Anne
                    > McCaffrey, Andre Norton, Robin Hobb, Guy Gavriel Kay and Mercedes
                    Lackey.
                    > Trying to experience some outside of JRRT.
                    >
                    > Still, I can't wait to start moaning over the mistreatment of The
                    Hobbit by
                    > PJ. I sure hope he doesn't shred too much of the opening scene when the
                    > dwarves all fall into Bilbo's house. And I especially hope that he
                    doesn't
                    > cut out Beorn like he did Tom Bombadil claiming Beorn would just confuse
                    > moviegoers who are new to The Hobbit!

                    Service.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 8, 2005
                      Ian McKellen could still be Gandalf, but the appropriate Bilbo would be
                      Elijah Wood...

                      Smogg? Is that Smogg the Polluted?

                      From: Christina Tellifson

                      <yesgaz@i...> wrote:
                      > I'm here too but have been reading some other authors such as Anne
                      > McCaffrey, Andre Norton, Robin Hobb, Guy Gavriel Kay and Mercedes
                      Lackey.
                      > Trying to experience some outside of JRRT.
                      >
                      > Still, I can't wait to start moaning over the mistreatment of The
                      Hobbit by
                      > PJ. I sure hope he doesn't shred too much of the opening scene when the
                      > dwarves all fall into Bilbo's house. And I especially hope that he
                      doesn't
                      > cut out Beorn like he did Tom Bombadil claiming Beorn would just confuse
                      > moviegoers who are new to The Hobbit!

                      Service.

                      > > ---------------------------------

                      > > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take advantage
                      > > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls, Members,
                      > > and Calendar sections.
                      > >
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Fantasy science fiction Science fiction books Science fiction book club
                      Science fiction book publisher Science fiction magazine Science fiction
                      writer

                      ---------------------------------

                    • Ellen Lienhard
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 8, 2005
                        Well, that would depend on where we are in the Harry Potter series when Peter finally gets to make his movie. He certainly would have to be well past Hagrid before he could attempt another role.

                        I feel I must protest criticizing Peter Jackson for mistakes he may possibly make in the future if he does get to make The Hobbit. Let's wait and see what he does do and then discuss it. I for one look forward to his take on the story. I know his elimination of Tom Bombadil upset many people who regard themselves as keepers of the Tolkien flame, but I totally understood why he had to go. And, lest we forget, Tom is still there to be enjoyed in the book, which is to my mind the only thing that matters.

                        Nice to see some activity in the group.

                        Regards,
                        Ellen

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 8, 2005
                          Yes, it will be great to see Smaug the dragon brought to life, I have total confidence in the folks at Weta to this right. I do not think we can count on Sir Ian Holm as Bilbo, as he would have a hard time portraying young Bilbo; they managed it for one scene in the FOTR prologue with tape under his wig pulling out his wrinkles, but that would not work as a long term solution. I believe Sir Ian McKellan has indicated a strong desire to do the Hobbit Gandalf and he would, imho, be peerless.

                          I am currently enmeshed in the Elvenbane series by Mercedes Lackey and Andre Norton, a great fantasy series, once you get it straight that these elves are nothing at all like Legolas, Gildor Inglorion or Haldir.

                          Ellen

                          <yesgaz@i...> wrote:
                          > I'm here too but have been reading some other authors such as Anne
                          > McCaffrey, Andre Norton, Robin Hobb, Guy Gavriel Kay and Mercedes
                          Lackey.
                          > Trying to experience some outside of JRRT.
                          >
                          > Still, I can't wait to start moaning over the mistreatment of The
                          Hobbit by
                          > PJ. I sure hope he doesn't shred too much of the opening scene when the
                          > dwarves all fall into Bilbo's house. And I especially hope that he
                          doesn't
                          > cut out Beorn like he did Tom Bombadil claiming Beorn would just confuse
                          > moviegoers who are new to The Hobbit!

                          Service.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 8, 2005
                            Or perhaps one of the other hobbit-actors from film!LOTR.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 8, 2005
                              He would HAVE to be Gandalf. I still think that Ian Holmes could play Bilbo... they made him look quite young in LoTR when they show him finding the ring. I think Elijah would be an annoying choice... he can't be both Bilbo AND Frodo.

                              LOL! Very funny.

                              And yes, that guy as Beorn would be perfect... but he's already been in Harry Potter, so I don't know if they'd even consider him.

                              From: Christina Tellifson

                              <yesgaz@i...> wrote:
                              > I'm here too but have been reading some other authors such as Anne
                              > McCaffrey, Andre Norton, Robin Hobb, Guy Gavriel Kay and Mercedes
                              Lackey.
                              > Trying to experience some outside of JRRT.
                              >
                              > Still, I can't wait to start moaning over the mistreatment of The
                              Hobbit by
                              > PJ. I sure hope he doesn't shred too much of the opening scene when the
                              > dwarves all fall into Bilbo's house. And I especially hope that he
                              doesn't
                              > cut out Beorn like he did Tom Bombadil claiming Beorn would just confuse
                              > moviegoers who are new to The Hobbit!

                              Service.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 8, 2005
                                Bilbo and Frodo are cousins - it's quite likely that Bilbo used to look very
                                like Frodo when he was younger...

                                How about Anthony Hopkins for the voice of Smaug the Golden?

                                From: Christina Tellifson

                                <yesgaz@i...> wrote:
                                > I'm here too but have been reading some other authors such as Anne
                                > McCaffrey, Andre Norton, Robin Hobb, Guy Gavriel Kay and Mercedes
                                Lackey.
                                > Trying to experience some outside of JRRT.
                                >
                                > Still, I can't wait to start moaning over the mistreatment of The
                                Hobbit by
                                > PJ. I sure hope he doesn't shred too much of the opening scene when the
                                > dwarves all fall into Bilbo's house. And I especially hope that he
                                doesn't
                                > cut out Beorn like he did Tom Bombadil claiming Beorn would just confuse
                                > moviegoers who are new to The Hobbit!

                                Service.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 9, 2005
                                  Yeah, but I seriously doubt PJ will do that... I mean, he didn't even use Sean Bean twice as Boromir and Faramir. It says clearly in the book that they looked so much a like they could have been twins.

                                  Oooo... Anthony Hopkins is an excellent choice! Or perhaps Jeremy Irons???

                                  From: Christina Tellifson

                                  <yesgaz@i...> wrote:
                                  > I'm here too but have been reading some other authors such as Anne
                                  > McCaffrey, Andre Norton, Robin Hobb, Guy Gavriel Kay and Mercedes
                                  Lackey.
                                  > Trying to experience some outside of JRRT.
                                  >
                                  > Still, I can't wait to start moaning over the mistreatment of The
                                  Hobbit by
                                  > PJ. I sure hope he doesn't shred too much of the opening scene when the
                                  > dwarves all fall into Bilbo's house. And I especially hope that he
                                  doesn't
                                  > cut out Beorn like he did Tom Bombadil claiming Beorn would just confuse
                                  > moviegoers who are new to The Hobbit!

                                  Service.

                                  > > ---------------------------------

                                  > > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take advantage
                                  > > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls, Members,
                                  > > and Calendar sections.
                                  > >
                                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  Fantasy science fiction Science fiction books Science fiction book club
                                  Science fiction book publisher Science fiction magazine Science fiction
                                  writer

                                  Fantasy science fiction Science fiction books Science fiction book club
                                  Science fiction book publisher Science fiction magazine Science fiction
                                  writer

                                  Fantasy science fiction Science fiction books Science fiction book club Science fiction book publisher Science fiction magazine Science fiction novel