Introduction

  • Ellen Lienhard
    Message 1 of 49 , Jun 8, 2005
      Got an email from Jack, the Moderator, asking for an introduction.

      Basically, I am a 64 year old currently working in on line customer service. I started reading JRRT my freshman year in college, 1959, and have been reading, and re-reading him off and on, since the movies, more and more on, even trying once more to make some sense of Silmarillion. I also have recently decided to plunge into the History of Middle Earth series edited by Christopher, JRRT's son and literary executor.

      Peter Jackson's movies thrill me for the most part, with some reservations about changes he made in the story. I have listened to all the commentaries and appendices on the EE versions of all three films and I think I understand what he was about. He was about making movies, and he felt justified on that basis to make the story more filmic. I think he is right, there is no way to make a literal adaptation of this book to the screen. He does seem to have honored Tolkien's themes, and on the whole they are enjoyable films. The production values are simply beyond praise, and the casting too was, imho, just about ideal. The CGI work is groundbreaking. Love the Howard Shore scores.

      I do hope to be joining in the discussions, looking forward to participating.

      Ellen L

    • Morjuc
      Message 49 of 49 , Dec 31 10:43 AM
        Happy New Year everyone!

        I also am looking forward to this group reading! I am just wondering what it is that we shall be reading. And when do we start? If we do read the Silmarillion, can we still go and read the Hobbit at some later point? Because that would be fun too.
        The silmarillion has some really exciting and epic stories, (I love that middle earth was created with music) but the Hobbit and LOTR are my all-time favorites. As Treebeard says, "up sprout a little folk that are not in the old lists" and they take on a Dragon, and Sauron!

        Alyssa