Re: [TolkienDiscussions] I don't know much about art née Love the Books and the Movies

  • Lisa B.
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2005
      Just went and dug out my Realms of Middle Earth book.
      I dont know any links for him, but his name is Cor
      Blok.

      Lisa

      === message truncated ===

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Elaine Brown
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2005
        Just ran a Google image search for him - you're right!
        Although some of his scenery looks rather
        interesting.

        http://images.google.com/images?q=cor%20blok&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&sa=N&tab=wi

        Elaine

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2005
          Sounds like a made up name to me - he's probably a chartered accountant
          called Kevin Pringle in real life...

          See this link for some of Cor's and many others:

          http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0061055328/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-4825229-3492606
          #reader-page

          (Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again)

          --- Jack <jack@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > achieve.
          > >
          > > For me, some of the best moments of the entire
          > story
          > > is the period
          > > Tolkien describes when Frodo is in the Shire as
          > the
          > > owner of the Ring,
          > > during Gandlaf's long absence while he is finding
          > > about the heritage of
          > > the Ring. This span of time is important to me as
          > > reader, because it
          > > builds up Frodo's life and develops his character
          > > and his life even
          > > before he goes on the quest. And it really helps
          > > build the
          > > believablitity of the vast amount of time that
          > > passes in Middle Earth.
          > > The fact that Frodo has the opportunity to spend
          > 17
          > > years in the Shire
          > > along side the chief object of evil of the entire

          === message truncated ===

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2005
            This artist is not attempting to share a 'realistic' image of how he
            imagined the scene, but to give a semiabstract evocative expression of
            the scene. The artist is, I think, Finnish or Estonian, and he comes
            from an established tradition of Scandinavian literary illustration.
            (Tove Johannson's own illustrations of her Moomin stories are an
            example.)

            JRRT himself didn't like extremely detailed 'realistic' illustrations of
            fantasy stories like the Brothers Hildebrant and discusses why in "On
            Fairy Stories."

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2005
              Dutch, I think?

              Regards