Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: Ironically....

  • Terry Canote
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 30, 2005
      From: "Terry Canote" <drakesix@...>
      To: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, 01 May 2005 04:10:04 -0000
      Subject: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: Ironically....

      > --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Hayes"
      > <MRGRANT1863@a...> wrote:
      > > If you look at the movies themselves, and try to pretend the books
      > > don't exist (good luck).......some of the dramatic dynamics do work
      > on
      > > the movie screen. This movie in a vacuum does take your breath
      > away,
      > > if nothing else, then for its scope and size. I did think the
      > casting
      > > was very well done, there are powerful performances.
      > >
      > > Only one small problem. This is Tolkien's story. And his
      > characters
      > > are butchered thoughout the movie telling.
      > >
      > > And for those who may stand up and defend the movies, remember
      > this.
      > > Peter Jackson himself admits in the DVD that his movies can at best
      > > only hint at the depth of Tolkien's vast world. This might be the
      > most
      > > honest and one of the best comments in the DVD. At least he
      > > acknowledges how limited the movies are. I guess the problem I
      > have is
      > > that he still went ahead and made them without flinching!
      >
      > Well, I guess it is time to remind people that the movies could have
      > been MUCH worse. Imagine if it had been directed by a lesser
      > director, what kind of changes they would have wrought? I'll admit I
      > don't agree with all of the changes Jackson made, but while he
      > departed from the letter of Lord of the Rings, he at least kept to
      > the spirit. I would rather have that than some Hollywood director who
      > would have lost the spirit!
      >
      > Besides which, I still maintain, the only way to truly adapt LotR
      > would be as a miniseries. There is probably enough in the book for a
      > good ten hours at least!
      >
      > Terry

      Indeed, I just thought of a terrible thought...could you picture the LotR movies as directed by Steven Speilberg...

      Terry

      --
      Email with Attitude www.wickedmoon.com | Hosted by www.rydia.net
    • Ronn! Blankenship
      Message 2 of 24 , May 1, 2005
        At 11:48 PM Saturday 4/30/2005, Terry Canote wrote:
> [...]

        How about George Lucas? Not the George Lucas of "Star Wars: A New Hope",
        but the George Lucas who made "Howard the Duck" . . .

        -- Ronn! :)
      • Terry Canote
        Message 3 of 24 , May 1, 2005
          > At 11:48 PM Saturday 4/30/2005, Terry Canote wrote:

          Ye gods! That would be much, much worse...

          Terry

          --
          Email with Attitude www.wickedmoon.com | Hosted by www.rydia.net
          Message 4 of 24 , May 2, 2005
            Other Horrid Possibilities:

            Quentin Tarentino
            Ron Howard
            Clint Eastwood

            [Wilson, Bruce]

            Message 5 of 24 , May 2, 2005
              A film is almost always less in-depth than the book it is based on. It has
              to be - the books took years to write, and days, weeks, even months to read.
              The film has a few hours (and that's a long film!). Of course the films
              only hint at the depth in Tolkien's work. Doesn't mean Peter Jackson should
              not have made them. A generation from now I hope to be going to see the
              remake...

              Message 6 of 24 , May 2, 2005
                Usually rather more than Peter Jackson's version!
                Compare Master & Commander: Far Side of the World and compare it to Patrick
                O'Brian's book...

                From: amandak
                Most movies of books suffer major departures from the original

                Message 7 of 24 , May 2, 2005
                  I think Clint Eastwood might make a good, thoughtful version of LOTR.

                  Remember that before Peter Jackson made LOTR, he was a director of low
                  budget horror flicks...

                  Regards

                  From: Wilson, Bruce

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 2, 2005
                    I'd be interested to see Quentin Tarantino's take on LOTR. I'd be worried
                    that Clint would try to turn LOTR into a Bridges of Madison County and not
                    The G, B & U.

                    > I think Clint Eastwood might make a good, thoughtful version of LOTR.
                    >
                    > Remember that before Peter Jackson made LOTR, he was a director of low
                    > budget horror flicks...
                    >

                    > Regards

                    > From: Wilson, Bruce
                    >
                    > Other Horrid Possibilities:
                    >
                    > Quentin Tarentino
                    > Ron Howard
                    > Clint Eastwood
                    >

                    > [Wilson, Bruce]

                  • Ronn! Blankenship
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 2, 2005
                      At 02:59 PM Monday 5/2/2005, Gary Bellinger wrote:
                      >I'd be interested to see Quentin Tarantino's take on LOTR. I'd be worried
                      >that Clint would try to turn LOTR into a Bridges of Madison County and not
                      >The G, B & U.

                      "The Gandalf, the Balrog, and the Uruk-hai"?

                      -- Ronn! :)

                      I Can't Help It, I Was Born This Way.
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 2, 2005
                        > At 02:59 PM Monday 5/2/2005, Gary Bellinger wrote:
                        > >I'd be interested to see Quentin Tarantino's take on LOTR. I'd be worried
                        > >that Clint would try to turn LOTR into a Bridges of Madison County and
                        not
                        > >The G, B & U.
                        >

                        > "The Gandalf, the Balrog, and the Uruk-hai"?

                        Gandalf - portrayed by Lee van Cleef; the Balrog portrayed by Eli Wallach;
                        and starring Clint Eastwood as the Uruk-hai
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 2, 2005
                          Clint Eastwood would play the Balrog - the only major character with No
                          Name...

                          From: Gary Bellinger

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 3, 2005
                            Think of TV mini-series which you have seen, and ask yourself which
                            directors and/or actors would have done well adapting Tolkien...

                            And who would be the series sponsor? Budweiser?

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 3, 2005
                              At 11:34 AM Tuesday 5/3/2005, Jack wrote:
                              >Think of TV mini-series which you have seen, and ask yourself which
                              >directors and/or actors would have done well adapting Tolkien...
                              >
                              >And who would be the series sponsor? Budweiser?

                              Nah. "Fantasy" is obviously for chicks, so expect lots of ads for
                              "feminine products" . . .

                              -- Ronn! :)
                            • Ink
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 3, 2005
                                "'Fantasy' is obviously for chicks"

                                ?

                                I did not know that.

                                -ink

                                On 5/3/05, Ronn! Blankenship <ronn.blankenship@...> wrote:

                                > At 11:34 AM Tuesday 5/3/2005, Jack wrote:
                                > >Think of TV mini-series which you have seen, and ask yourself which
                                > >directors and/or actors would have done well adapting Tolkien...
                                > >
                                > >And who would be the series sponsor? Budweiser?
                                >

                                > Nah. "Fantasy" is obviously for chicks, so expect lots of ads for
                                > "feminine products" . . .
                                >

                                > -- Ronn! :)

                                "Elen sila lumenn omentilmo"

                              • Ronn! Blankenship
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 3, 2005
                                  At 09:59 PM Tuesday 5/3/2005, Ink wrote:
                                  >"'Fantasy' is obviously for chicks"
                                  >
                                  >?
                                  >
                                  >I did not know that.

                                  "Obvious" to [some in] Hollyweird: if it doesn't feature nudity, car
                                  chases, and a huge body count from bullets and massive explosions (the one
                                  at Helm's Deep is nowhere near big enough, and besides, it's only one),
                                  it's not a "guy movie," therefore it must be a "chick flick" unless it is
                                  specifically made for children . . .

                                  -- Ronn! :)
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 3, 2005
                                    Maybe the Quentin Tarantino version will have more car chases and
                                    explosions. And maybe Pamela Anderson would be available for Galadriel...

                                    (Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again)

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 3, 2005
                                      But how will they handle the product placement for Tampax?

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 4, 2005
                                        At 01:28 AM Wednesday 5/4/2005, Jack wrote:
                                        >But how will they handle the product placement for Tampax?

                                        With the plastic applicator provided in the package, of course.

                                        -- Ronn! :)
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 4, 2005
                                          I could say something about the fortifications at Helm's Deep but.....

                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 4, 2005
                                            I don't know enough about miniseries directors to answer the first
                                            question. As for the second. Hmm. . . .Almost anyone if you pitched it
                                            right.

                                            Think of TV mini-series which you have seen, and ask yourself which
                                            directors and/or actors would have done well adapting Tolkien...

                                            And who would be the series sponsor? Budweiser?

                                          • Ren Cat
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 4, 2005
                                              LOL You guys are so bad LOL

                                              Ren